Why is it that the 2017 ATA season ends in Sept. ver. Jan. 2018

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Storeman, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Storeman

Storeman Moderator Founding Member

I am confused as to why the 2018 Registered Target season starts in Sept. 2017 ?

2. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Mega Poster Founding Member

All the yearly shoots lead up to the ultamate shoot The Grand American in Sparta Illinois in August.After the Grand in August they start all over for the next shooting season.Just like the Super Bowl in football or the World series in baseball.

Storeman likes this.
  3. frostyman

frostyman Active Member

It has been that way for a very long time. They tried changing it about 10 years ago but got all kinds of complaints so it changed back the next year. The complaints had to do with target requirements for various shoots.

Storeman likes this.
  4. Old Goat 2

Old Goat 2 Active Member

There seems to be very credible observations on another forum that the original (historic) trapshooting schedule was developed to accommodate the farming harvest/planting of the large numbers of farmers who originated/enjoyed trapshooting. Just sayin'. Regards, Ed

Storeman likes this.
  5. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

People need to only look at early pictures of "ATA" shooting ..... most "farmers", "back in the day" when the "ATA" target year was decided, didn't own the "type" of clothing in the pictures, much less be able to afford "travel" and "shooting" expenses .....

Now "mega-farmers" drive a 70k "King Ranch" or "High Country" pick-up truck, and shoot a 15k shotgun ..... "when I was a kid", "hand-me-down" clothing and old shoes were the best "farming" had to offer ..... so, a "new" pair of boots beat the Hell out of shooting the GAH, regardless of a "target year" .....

6. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I have OLD average books from the 1950's and '60's that had the year ending in December and beginning January 1.

I hope History Buff chimes in here with his knowledge...I asked him about this, and received a lot of info on the subject.

I would rather he respond to this, than me adding my meager knowledge on this subject.

dr.longshot and Storeman like this.