Why can't shooter use #6 shot?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by dr.longshot, Jan 28, 2017.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

The shooter is using less shot, it is his decision, I like 1oz of #6s at 1290fps, there is more pellet energy which breaks the target, does not dust the target, actually extends target breaks approx. 10 yds further. I would like buying just one size shot for all my shooting, would save me on Inventory, and shooters who buy Shells at Walmart at bargain prices, which they are doing now and shooting ATA targets with them.

I see those 1oz #6 shells all over the ground at ATA Shoots, I see no real reason to restrict shooters on shot size, I know it is in the rules no shot larger than 7.5s, but #6s are being used now and have not heard any complaints.

Like Leo Harrisons answer to a shooter when asked, What shot size are you using? He said if I had a choice it would be #6s.!!!

Walmart sells lots of Shells to shooters that are 1oz #6s, that are sold by shell Mfgrs. Mfgrs find there is a big market for them at $5.00 a box, all over the USA. If they Mfgr. Them shooters will buy Them

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant.............................................Dr.longshot

2. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

Gary,
    I suspect it might have to do with the carrying distance of the shot? Many ranges in my area are close to roads, structures, railroads etc. It might be so throughout the nation. I don't know, just supposing......... Larry

3. Eriehunter

Eriehunter Active Member

Our local skeet club is limiting shot size to 8. The BOD decided 7 1/2 is too big, they don't understand shot fall angles, distance etc.. they were worried shot would leave the property. So this was their answer. We have one trap field.

4. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

Sheesh doc, what gives?

Now you make a post that would make handicap and angles easier. So much for the idea of you wanting a more challenging sport.

5. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Doc,

Larry has provided the major reason why #6 shot is prohibited on trap fields and while many people hold the belief the policy of limiting shot size was to keep the game fair for all, this had absolutely nothing at all to do with the decision.

From earlier times trap fields were designed with a safety zone. DuPont's booklet "Trapshooting Club Handbook" from 1914, in discussing "Suitable Grounds" says: "Grounds should be chosen with dwellings, outbuildings, etc., not closer than 250 or 300 yards from the firing points. This reduces the element of danger. Remember that there is always a possibility of a charge of shot "balling." I was not aware of the shot balling problem, but apparently it was a concern in the early 1900's. This would present a safety issue by greatly increasing the range of travel of the shot. Things were much different a century ago. The velocity of shotshells was less than 900 ft./sec. We know that the larger the diameter of shot, the farther it travels. A formula called 'Journee's Formula' (a French ballistics expert) calculates the maximum range of shot is 2,200 times the diameter (in inches) of the pellet size. As an example, a 12-gauge shell containing 7 1/2 size shot will travel about 209 yards. A shell loaded with 00 Buckshot - 748 yards.

Books from the early 1930's discuss layouts for trap fields as "approximately 250 yards long, with most of the area in front of the traps to act as a shot catcher and background, and from 100 to 300 yards wide, depending upon the number of sets of traps." This is the exact wording from a 1934 booklet called "Skeet and Trapshooting" distributed by the Hercules Powder Company.

Some years later, minimum trap field length was increased to 300 yards deep (all in front of the trap). We know that shot pellets up to #4 will normally fall within the 300 yard safety zone which in some trap field diagrams is called the "danger zone." However, in the design layout, consideration for safety included an area beyond normal shot fall was determined to be necessary. This allowed shooters to quickly stop shooting when they saw something (person, animal, etc.) approaching the safety zone, well before reaching where shot falls. Here's the actual wording in the 1955 edition of "Handbook on Shotgun Shooting" put out by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS - Shoot Ranges, SAAMI Shotgun Shooting,1955p.jpg

Charts have been produced over the years showing the maximum range of shot travel. The below chart was determined by the French ballistics expert General Journee who developed a formula for calculating the approximate distance of travel for various size projectiles.

MAXIMUM RANGES OF SHOT CHART-Journee Formula.jpg

Hopes this is helpful.

Enjoy Our History !

6. vanguard2015

vanguard2015 Member Founding Member

Many years ago there was a small trap range around Lapel, Indiana that had to limit the shot size to 71/2 because of a road and housing in line with the shooting.

7. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Doc I thought you shot Kentucky 9'a ....... 4's and 5's mixed.

8. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Never anything bigger than #6s, I did like Leo's reponse, to the shooter who asked him. Leo posted that response himself. Every place I shoot has nothing close, Airport Gun Club is now closed, has been for several years. I do like 1oz of #6s that Walmart sells at 1290fps, if you look at shells on the ground, they are all over the place. Price has it's advantage. Brad How mare you doing?
    Yours in Sport

Gary Bryant...............................Dr.longshot

9. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I'm doing great Gary, feel better than I have in years. Brad