What to use to strip Ljutic Stock

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Billy, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

I want to strip my stock for refinishing Ljutic
    has a tough finish what would you use to strip it with
    Billy

2. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

should be able to use any good paint & varnish remover from the paint store. I'm sure they could guide you.

3. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

Paint remover won't work on it. It's an epoxy finish on it!

4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I remember reading years ago that if you wanted to remove an epoxy finish you need something with methylene chloride in it. The problem is I believe the government outlawed the chemical a few years ago. From what I read it was nasty to work with so I'm not surprised.

Brownells used to sell one but I just checked and I don't see it there now. Maybe out of stock, maybe it had that chemical in it and they quit carrying it.

You might want to google "removing epoxy stock finish" and see what comes up. I also read that guys were going to auto parts stores to get strippers.

Maybe a good paint store that sells commercial strippers. Ask them about wearing a mask or respirator.

Good Luck, it is going to take some time and work.

5. cwtech

cwtech Active Member

Acetone will help soften epoxy. ....Use a plastic scraper to remove as much as possible. ....Repeat as necessary.

6. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Sandpaper.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

I have refinished several Ljutics. None had epoxy. The only folks I know using epoxy is Browning and Krieghoff.

8. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

So do you want to refinish mine ?

9. Special Ed

Special Ed New Member

CRC gasket stripper will do it, epoxy or not. Best to scrape it and sand though. This will leave the grain filled, in possible un-seen filled areas. Stripping will darken the wood and you will loose some clarity of the figuring. Stripping will also weaken the surface grain and mess with the checkering. So best to buy some fisher scrapers and do it nice.

10. Clayman

Clayman Well-Known Member

A good 150 grit sand paper.

11. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

Wonder what Browning uses?

12. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

Saw a test on strippers and STRIP X was the best.