What the Heck is it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by Flyersarebest, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I purchased a shotgun a little while back and when I got it home this, part?, was in the box. I am 99.9% sure it has nothing to do with the gun. First thought? Trigger lock. But it would scratch the heck out of the trigger guard and the only way to open it is with a screwdriver. You have to unscrew it to get it into 2 pieces.

I don't know if the previous owner had it in his hand one day while he had the box open and not thinking, or he was distracted, set it in the box and closed it up.

No joke, not a trick question, I have NO idea what this thing is.

You can see in the pictures it is 2 pieces with 2 springs and a screw to hold them together. It acts like a plunger but when you push the "top" piece down the hole through the 2 pieces closes. You can see in the last pic there is a number cast into the part.

You don't have to PM me. The more info, or guesses, helps the next guy.

Thanks, IMG_0617.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Flyersarebest

Never Mind!

I should have researched it first. It was in a Ruger Red Label case that didn't have any paperwork with it. After going to their site and looking at the owners manual it is a "Locking Device" that goes in the front of the receiver where the barrels would sit. Then you take the Ruger padlock and put it through the hole in the part

Bad enough when they started to stamp "Read Instruction Manual" on their guns, now they have a FN bank vault lock system. LOL

3. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Has anyone ever used one of the trigger locks that come in today's guns? I must have 50 different kinds laying around in my old gun store.

Hasbeen likes this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Ruger's legal department must have thought trigger locks weren't good enough to protect them from some sort of lawsuit, I really can't fault them that much. In today's world if some d^#khead steals one of your pieces and uses it in a crime it wouldn't be a stretch to hear their lawyers saying that it was the owner's fault that the d^#khead was able to use the piece.

You insert this spring-loaded piece onto the lugs then put that bigazz Master lock with the Ruger logo on it through that hole.

IMG_0639.JPG

5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Chastity belt for guns?

BRAD DYSINGER and Flyersarebest like this.
  6. Flyersarebest

I wondered when the Head Engineer/Project Manager was going to say something. ;)

When you think about it, you're right.

I'm surprised you didn't say,

Yep, Ruger called me, and I designed it for them.

7. Maser

Maser ∞ Based ∞

No different than with nerds like me who have tons of USB cables that literally have an entire drawer dedicated to storing them.

Hasbeen likes this.
  8. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

Is a safety lock out like on a model 12 so you can't put the safety on so no lost target's my guess.
    Sgoose

9. Flyersarebest

I posted a picture of it installed on the receiver without that big Master lock which goes through that hole