universal primer pocket correction tools

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Jim McKee, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Jim McKee

Jim McKee New Member

Hi!
    Any difference between the BPI tool vs the Precision reloading tool?
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. Robert Lucks

Robert Lucks Retired Army

Dont know about those tools, but be aware of the Russian tool on Ebay.......ruined it after after 25 hulls....metal is way to soft

3. Bob Williams

Bob Williams Well-Known Member

I bought the Precision tool. I found it to be both well made but accurate. Works better then I thought.

firewater likes this.
  4. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA New Member

I’ll vouch for Rudy’s tool-making capabilities. It’s his living. I run his UPP in. PW 375 and I’ll never go back. Hulls last longer with it.

5. Cesare LoFaro

Cesare LoFaro New Member

6. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

I have used the UPP for several years now and have installed 4 or 5 more on presses of friends.. no complaints and much praise from those users.. I know it does allow many more loads per hull due to its reconditioning of the pocket, scraping of the carbon and belling the mouth.
    Never heard a really negative comment on the tool but on a couple other sites I read comments stating "it does now reform the brass pocket".but I know for sure it does reform the plastic in the pocket. I also determined if I take a decapped hull a primer will enter easy and hit it with a run through Rudy's tool the primer will not enter the tiny brass portion easily so something is happening. I have examined the primer pocket in the brass bases and doubt if there is enough strength or material to hold much anyway. I suspect that even on new shells the plastic of the hull is the secret to a tight, non leaking primer. Larry

7. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

8. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

rrisum, one thing I did not include that I should have was the answer to the original question, I have used the BPI tool and found to work well but was fairly labor intensive.... in other words it took time.
    I load probably 90% AAHS but also load Rem, Federal GM and AACF hulls and yes an adjustment should be made changing from one hull to another. It seems my measuring indicated a big difference between AAHS and STS in height of primer pocket. I do not mix hulls as I load so its quick and easy to do when I switch. When adjusting I only apply the "crush" needed to insure a good primer fit as I see no advantage to overdoing things just because I can. I currently have a good supply of Win and Fed primers so only need a bit of crush to insure a leak free seating. . I use FIO primers in the STS and Fed hulls and find I need a bit more pressure. I gauge a good fit by the "touchy feely" method..... I decap the hull and push a primer in by hand..... when I have adjusted the crush to the point the primer only enters about half way I call it enough....... works for me anyway......... Larry