Time To Change Shoot Programs?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by oleolliedawg, May 10, 2023.

1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I remember the old days (pre-dinosaur era) when the smaller clubs ATA shoots consisted of 100 Singles, 50 Handicap and 25 prs. of Doubles. With the increased cost of targets and ammunition it might be time to re-evaluate our commitment to those long and increasingly expensive programs, go back to our roots, and try to increase participation. Anyway, whatever we're doing now isn't working. Thoughts?

2. TF1

TF1 Active Member Founding Member

Clubs can consider Big 50 programs, which are what you are talking about except for singles. That way fees (in most areas) are reduced as well. Since shoots would be considerably quicker, miss and outs, buddy shoots, protections, annies, etc. could be scheduled after to help keep the club’s target counts up a bit.

3. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Ollie In our area the smaller clubs are having a lot of success having 50 target meat shoots. If you want you may enter multiple times and no additional fees. Many times 15 to 20 squads. The OSTA demanding that shooters pay $42 per hundred for targets at our Zone shoot is even likely to drive more shooters toward the meat type shoots where the targets are $5 per round or $20 per hundred. The higher prices and the unavailability of components does not bode well for registered shooting in the future. Just my opinion.

Dave Berlet

4. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I always felt that handicap should be the first event, followed by singles, then doubles--reasoning be handicap helps you focus more and that makes shooting singles easier !! as if singles isn't too easy for you AA27AA --shooters--but @ 80 yrs old I need all the help I can get