State Record Set at Kentucky Singles Shoot Off

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Wildcat Lewis, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Active Member

Keith Parrot and Keith Ditto 200 X 200 then 425 extra's to break the tie in Saturdays Singles State Championship.

Congratulations and great shooting to all........

Keith Parrot Champion with 425 X 425 extras
    Keith Ditto Runner up with 424 X 425 extras

2. Rosey

Rosey Mega Poster Founding Member

I'm not sure that's anything to celebrate.

wpt, robb and Flyersarebest like this.
  3. theloudone

theloudone Guest

Really? When was the last time you went 625 straight?

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  4. Rosey

A 200 and another 225 in a shoot off at Cardinal that I won and another one that went 125 that I lost. I dropped 2 singles targets that entire week. Was it easy for me? I wouldn't call it easy, but it is more of a mental/focus strain, than a physical one.

Kudos to the Parrot and Ditto, but we see this stuff quite often. My comment was based on the fact that there are plenty of guys that can make it look easy. Maybe it is too easy, or perhaps there should be a separation in class. Even if you are a AAA weekend warrior, should you be shooting against Parrot or Ditto?

Is shooting nearly 2 flats of shells in a shoot off fun?....no.....easy?...no. Boring....yes!

5. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Didn't Leo Harrison IIII (RIP) and one of the Barthalow boys set a record a few years back, as I recall the shoot off went for days not rounds ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  6. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Why not have the target presentation set harder for a faster resolution ????

People have a hard time seeing how outdated the "ATA" class and handicap systems are.

If I have a 99.1 singles average and you have a 99.7 average .... I have to have a career day to compete with your average day. Because my average says I miss more often than you. That results in me hoping you lose so I can win. And it makes more of a difference in the lower classes. How can a true 75 average ever compete with a true 85 average ????

The current target presentation, voice calls, shotguns, ammo, and rule modifications, makes winning almost impossible for those not having the highest averages in class or yardage.

Hoping my career day is the same day as your off day is not worth my time and money. I can "shoot for fun" at local Clubs.

As long as the "ATA" is controlled by never-was shooters protecting their Idols from "Weekend Warriors", it will not change.

dr.longshot and Just Joe like this.
  7. Wildcat Lewis

Should have mentioned and extended congratulations in the original post to Nick Kingrey who went 249 X 250 in the shoot off with Keith and Keith. As well as James Glass who exited early after breaking the 200 Championship Targets. At any rate 3 people going 250 extra doesn't happen every day let alone 2 lasting 400 plus.........

Reflecting on some of the above comments: I shoot against them every chance I get at the local clubs, they are all great people......I just follow Doc Parrots rule (Keith's Dad) and just try to keep from getting humiliated and a lot of days you will have a great score even if you don't win the shoot!

Harrison III (RIP) and Barthalow I think went 900 extra and then agreed to the co championship. The record I was referencing was for Kentucky State Shoot only.

Harder Target Presentation for Faster Resolution: Just for the record, they shot a lot them in extremely poor light conditions. But to expand on the point
    the singles game would probably be better off with the old 5 hole set and or faster targets. It would most certainly be better for televised events providing we ever gain enough ump and organization to push the sport to that level.

WL

Prazzi_OH, HistoryBuff and wpt like this.
  8. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Congrats to those shooters .... I should have put that in my first post, shooting well deserves it.

"the singles game would probably be better off with the old 5 hole set and or faster targets" .... and "hand pulled" targets with a rule change for no turned down targets. If a whole target is thrown within 5 seconds of the "call", it is a dead or lost target period.

There is little doubt the best shooters will win the most .... it just puts more hope that my career day has a better chance in more events on different days.

9. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

First, congratulations to the contestants for some truly great shooting.

Yes. Leo and Foster Bartholow established a new world record shoot-off for the Clay Target Championship of the World during the 109th Grand American. Scoring 900 straight targets in the shoot-off in addition to the 200 straight in the program is a remarkable achievement on its own, but to continue beyond the old record of 575, carding an additional 325 straight is absolutely phenomenal. The old record was set during the 2005 Eastern Zone tournament, on the Pennsylvania State Sportsmen’s Association homegrounds, in Elysburg, PA, when Michael Blaisdell, of New Hampshire and Brian Whalen, of New York, were among the top twenty scores of 199 in the Singles Championship. After 10 rounds Saturday evening, Blaisdell, Kay Ohye and Whalen were the only shooters without a miss and agreed to resume the next morning before the Doubles Championship. All three went another 125 straight and would continue after the Doubles shoot-off that evening. Ohye forfeited when he failed to show up for the continuation, making his total 375. Blaisdell and Whalen continued with seven more straight rounds. In the 23rd, Whalen missed his 568th bird, while Blaisdell went straight again finishing with 575 in the shoot-off.

I came across an old letter to Leo and I honestly cannot recall if I ever sent it to him along with pictures I took. Here's some of what my September 8, 2008 letter said:

"Leo, I came and watched your shoot-off on the final night and I can tell you that the entire complex was buzzing about the event. I should mention that Mike Blaisdell also mentioned to me earlier, that he was going to watch this historic shoot-off that had already surpassed his own.

"I arrived at the Grandstands at approximately 5:15 and I believe you and Foster Bartholow were already 125 straight on the evening and heading toward the benches for a short rest and replenishment of electrolytes and shells. I saw that your referee was a friend of mine, John Zentz, from Finksburg, Maryland, so I walked up to him to see if he needed a drink or anything else. John said he was all right for the time being but had to leave no later than 6:15 p.m. to catch his flight home, and would need relief “if the shoot-off lasted that long.” After the next round, John waved me over and asked for a cold bottle of water. I went to my car to get one from the cooler and that’s when it hit me to take some pictures and notes. I’ve enclosed a copy of each of the pictures I took that evening thinking you might like them for your scrapbook. From my notes I see that on your 10th round of the evening, in which Foster led off, you came off the line at 6:06 p.m. John walked up to me and reminded me that he didn’t want to, but he just had to leave for the St. Louis Airport after one more round. I went to the shoot-off window and advised Lucky Nightingale that John had to leave for the airport and asked if he had another referee for field #7.

"When he said they had no extra ref’s, I asked if he would like me to get my glasses and hearing protection and relieve Mr. Zentz. He was very appreciative, but not nearly as appreciative as I was to be able to referee the longest shoot-off in our history. You were the lead off man for the next round (11th), which finished at about 6:15 p.m. John walked up and handed me extra pens and an additional spare scoresheet as he thought you two “Ironmen” would certainly need it. You gentlemen took a little longer rest before walking back to the line. Foster was back on the leadoff post, starting your 12th round of the evening. I failed to record the finish time because the scoresheet was filled on both sides and I wanted to walk it up to the shoo-off building. I later estimated that you came off the line at about 6:26 p.m. During my walk, I noticed newly elected ATA President Bruce Reed walk over to talk with you. Immediately I thought he may be offering Co-Champions to you both. As I recalled, it had only been done once in the history of the Grand, many years ago when George Snellenberger and Dan Orlich both were granted the honor.

"When I heard the applause as I was walking back to Field 7, I knew that it was over and each of you had agreed to accept the top honor as co-champions. At first, I felt that you two should continue with the history making shoot-off and see how far you could take it. I was quickly brought back to my senses, deciding that the best decision had been made, when I thought how awful it would be to see either of you loose the championship after exhibiting such determination.

"I am always grateful for the opportunity to help our organization with the challenges we face as well as for the chances I’ve been given to referee shoot-offs at the smallest tournament up to the Grand American Handicap. Refereeing your shoot-off was one of the most exciting events I’ve ever been involved in . . . .

"Enjoy the photographs Leo and thank you for a most enjoyable evening that I shall remember for a lifetime. Please give my best wishes to Karla, Sarah and Laura."

Yours truly,

Another interesting piece of history I should share with you is that I went right back out to the line to pick up a shell from this historical event. Leo had been shooting Federal Premium Target, 2 3/4 Dr., 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2 shot, and neatly dropped them in piles of five at each station. Foster was shooting Winchester AA Heavy 1 1/8 oz. of 8 shot and was saving his empties, pushing each empty into the rear storage area of his shooting vest. Fortunately for me, I found the one shell that he dropped during the shoot-off and have saved both historical shells, one of Leo's and one of Fosters in my collection of memorabilia since that day.

And now you know . . . . . . the rest of the story . . . . . . . I was the referee for the final 25 shots of the longest shoot-off in ATA history.

Enjoy Our History !

Harrison-Bartholow Longest Shoot-Off Shells1.JPG

10. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Great posting, glad you got to be a part of it ... History books can only tell most of the story, being there and a part of it means all that much more ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Wildcat Lewis

I inadvertently left out a couple other folks with 200s in the Singles Championship that were in a shoot off for the open (out of State) Championship which I should have also been mentioned; Congratulations to Jack Criner Champion 200 X 200 with 25/25 extra and John Zeigler 200 X 200 with 25/24 extra's.....Great shooting Fellows!

Thanks to History Buff for sharing his account and personal letters regarding the 900 X 900 shoot off /co-championship....Great Job....

WL

12. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Jealousy sure is ugly!

Roger Coveleskie and Prazzi_OH like this.
  13. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Nicky Kingrey also was in that shoot off and did very well. There is no point in bashing anybody or saying "that's not anything to celebrate" when it might not be anything for you to celebrate don't sit back and bash on the ones who made it to the shoot off and tried their best! Peace!

Prazzi_OH likes this.
  14. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

Everyone has goals and not everyone's goals are the same. Just congradulate those who have done their best and show them that you appreciate their participation in the sport!

15. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Well said at @K_Gun_AR. Just be respectful! I once broke 2,300 before I missed and didn't expect a big fan club or anything but I also didn't have people bashing me.

16. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Correction 23x25 not 2,300 thanks!

17. Prazzi_OH

Prazzi_OH Member

Had me going there for a minute m8.

18. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

Still a fantastic run! Great shooting

19. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Thanks @K_Gun_AR atleast some people recognize talent when they see it! @Rosey

20. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

@Trampy stampy is the real MVP. He tought me his ways and I have made the all American team and the state team for years and years! Thank you for your contribution to my accomplishments!

21. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

It was the least I could do @K_Gun_AR i knew u were a talented young man with potential and just shaped you into the best shooter I thought u could be! Way to make a guy proud!

22. Prazzi_OH

Prazzi_OH Member

Y'all make a great pair @Trampy stampy @K_Gun_AR

23. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

24. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

Broke my first 24x25 today. Taking applications to sign up for my all-American team training! The price is kinda high but for anyone with doubt ask 10 time all-American @K_Gun_AR what my training can do for you! And reasonable price!

25. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

This man is crazy! He works wonders. My high at one point was a 16x100 and I just ran a 200x200 a week after his class! I would say he has helped me the most by far. Thank you for all you do to help the youth shooting community!

26. Prazzi_OH

Prazzi_OH Member

@Trampy stampy what is your website. I'm very interested. Thanks.

27. Rosey

First off, I said "I'm not sure that's anything to be celebrate". Second, I said "Kudos to Parrott and Ditto".

I wasn't slamming them, but just the fact that it takes a flat of shells to sometimes determien a winner, and you may have AA through C class shooters running 100, tells me we need to change something.

You 3 can go back to the urinal and continue your circle jerk.

28. Trampy stampy

Trampy stampy Member

I'm saving the middle urinal for you @Rosey! All I'm saying is why even put up "I'm not sure that's anything to celebrate" it was irrelevant and you weren't there. Also no matter what AAA-D class u have to get started somewhere. Singles are for glory if it takes a flat of shells than so be it. You can always flip u know in ur case.

29. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

@Rosey how many times have you shot off like that? Shoot offs like that show what real skill, concentration, and the ability to show your stuff does. It picks apart the boys from them men. Doesn't matter if it's AAA-D they are skill levels for a reason.

30. Rosey

I see you (3) joined Saturday......Or are you all actually the same poster.......Must have gotten kicked of "Knitting.com"?

wpt likes this.
  31. K_Gun_AR

K_Gun_AR Member

No we are all different people. No one has time to make three different accounts. You sound like a person who has probably done that. I'm ready to see you on the leader board if your gonna talk crap but we all know that won't happen.

32. Prazzi_OH

Prazzi_OH Member

@Rosey we actually got kicked off :)