SPECIAL THANKS THIS 4TH OF JULY TO OUR MILITARY

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by dr.longshot, Jul 4, 2015.

1. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

God bless and deep hearted thanks to each and every one of you.

Some made the Supreme Sacrifice, my neighbor was 19 yrs old, killed in Viet Nam after being in the Army for 4 months, His name was Private George Seal he was a good kid, like so many others.

My condolonces to all who have lost loved ones in battles.

I salute you

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

2. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

The military has enough holidays. Thousands of loyal, honorable, dutiful military members were nonetheless the bad guys in the Independence Day story. Independence Day celebrates the philosophers, the thinkers, those with the desire and capacity to disobey authority and imagine a better world by overthrowing authority. Independence Day celebrates the non-conformists, those who break the rules for the good of everyone.

Independence Day celebrates the order-disobeyers, not the order-followers. Independence Day is not a holiday to celebrate the power of government, but the people who broke the law and fired on their own military.

3. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

I will not be among those that choose not to thank and remember the military at any and all opportunities.... I was there, I remember every hour of every day. Tim Strohm, Mike Snyder, Mark Warren, Donny, George and on and on did not make the trip home................................
    Remember, Respect, Revere................... Larry

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

I've had enough of the military being jammed into Independence Day. If the military were at all relevant to what occurred on July 4, 1776, they might deserve a share of credit, but July 4 belonged to the philosophers, and it is they who deserve all the credit, this day.

If you want to thank the militia, go right ahead, and I'll join you. As for military regulars, nah. The men of 1776 rightly distrusted professional standing armies, and millions around the world regard our military with as much or more scorn as we heaped on the Redcoats.

5. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Active Member Founding Member

Someone seems to have their shorts on to tight. I thought the 4th of July or Independence Day was to Celebrate just that INDEPENDENCE and FREEDOM. I wonder what FREEDOM we would have without OUR MILITARY. 357, what branch did you serve in?

dr.longshot likes this.
  6. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

You really think this? Who taught you this?

What you should have been taught is that "Independence" and "Freedom" are not synonyms.

Many countries, notably Caribbean and African, would be much freer today if they had never secured their independence from their European nations. Cubans may have been spared 50 years of Communist rule if Cuba did not secure independence from Spain. Martinique, a full department of France, is much nicer than Haiti which dumped the French in 1803 and later endured the atrocities of Papa Doc.

Great Britain, Spain and France are considered near the top of countries in the Free World. Were independence not declared and Manifest Destiny never employed, what is today the United States could be governed by those European nations, with Americans being at least as free as Brits, Frenchmen and Spaniards.

7. Larry

I suspect 357 received a different set of life experiences..... probably voted for O and waiting for Hillary....... Larry

dr.longshot likes this.
  8. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

You should be embarrassed by that comment.

Ironically, this day doesn't belong to you, at all. Your follower mentality and your unthinking support of authority would have caused you to identify the persons and homes of those agitating for independence.

Independence Day belongs to the thinkers. Your loyal and unthinking support of existing government power would have caused the Revolutionaries to exclude you from their meetings.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

All this brilliance comes from the mouth of a non-trapshooter. I think we've acquired another 221 from the other site. Best to tune out his garbage!

10. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I want to go to Washington and see the Vietnam Memorial and see the list of those that fought for a war we should not have been in, that did not make it home. There are so many Trapshooters that served and they know how it was, and how many of their friends, fellow soldiers that did not come home alive.

And we have Hillary and along with Viet Cong Jane that live here in Freedom, they caused the deaths of our soldiers, may they ROT IN HELL
    They need to suffer in their deaths, like the ones they defied.

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

11. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Active Member Founding Member

The Lady who really taught me ALLOT about FREEDOM was Miss Elsa Korch. My 4 th grade teacher. I remember the Tatoo of numbers on her arm. She was one of the Lucky Survivors from the Atrocities of the Nazi's. I KNOW she knew the Meaning of FREEDOM. Unlike the misguided and ignorant Liberal that 357 seems to be. I wonder what her real name is and what branch of service she served in? Why does one hide behind a screen name anyway? Oh and by the way Miss Korch knew All about Independence also. She passed on more to her students in those few months of classes than is taught in College these days. GOD BLESS Miss Korch and ALL those like her.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I have some good friends and classmates with names on that memorial. May they RIP!

13. Larry

No embarrassment here, no shame, no guilt, no made up excuses for my actions or my beliefs. The names I listed in my post are on the wall, their faces are in my memory, their sacrifice enables you to play the foolish role you have taken. I stated you had different life experiences..... you definitely did and do play the role of a "sheeple" with your life.
    Your thoughts are so different than mine there is no opportunity for understanding between us.. You will follow Obama and others to the end attempting to belittle and defame the history and folks that created the USA. You seem comfortable indicating those that strived for freedom were troublemakers and problem children. I feel sorry for you, it seems you have no foundation for your beliefs or confidence in the activities of those that made you life possible.. Larry

dr.longshot likes this.
  14. dr.longshot

Yes Larry and if it were not for our veterans they would not have the ability to have trapshooting, their wives, their parents or children, a home to call their own, a car to drive, maybe they should turn in their Citizenship and go to Iraq, Iran, Russia or some other foreign country and live in extreme poverty, and watch their loved ones assinated in front of them, I encourage you to leave this country you do not support, and have solemn prayers for those Killed in Action or MIA or given help to the Wounded Warriors, that are hobbling around or wheelchair bound, I feel sorry for you, and wish you would leave the USA forever.

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

15. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

And the wall is irrelevant to Independence Day. Quit appealing to irrelevant emotion plays to divert attention from the fact that your historical perspective is a fabrication.

You again prove you don't know what words mean. One cannot be a "sheep" who thinks for himself and doesn't fall into the soft thinking that besets you and so many others. You know as little about what a "sheep" is as you do about what Independence Day means

Good. Go away. You're the type of person who is happiest in a world of make believe in which nobody ever presents truth to correct inaccuracies. When confronted with a differing perspective, you erupt in rage, because you lack the foundation to defend your own position and you lack any legitimate means of advocating your side.

What an inept retort. You actually have attempted to reduced the entire field of historical enquiry to two positions: either one accepts your thoroughly militarized revisionist history, or one is an Obama supporter. How sophomoric. I would truly like to see your undergraduate papers on the subject.

You are so completely ignorant of History that you demean the Founders by publishing your homemade nonsense stories.

And wouldn't that bother you if it were true. Imagine that, a country founded by the very people and personalities you can't stand. Thinkers, agitators, malcontents. The Founders were learned men. You don't like learned men, now. On what basis could we conclude that you would have supported learned men in the 18th Century?

I laugh at you. Really, I do. You're living in a pretend, made-up world that falls apart the moment anyone asks a serious question. I must wonder where you did your coursework.

16. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Gary, please. The land constituting the United States was owned by England, France and Spain, all of which have Trapshooting. Further, England, France and Spain all have citizens who own houses and cars.

This discussion concerns Independence Day. If the Colonists had lost, we'd all still be speaking English and eating bacon and eggs. The heroes on July 4, 1776 were not military figures, and of that there is no doubt. July 4, 1776 was a triumph of Philosophy, not arms. Some of us have lost sight of what Independence Day means.

Indeed, you will find these objections to the military in the Declaration of Independence. I really recommend you read it.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

The military was not an exalted body on July 4, 1776. The prevailing feeling of the day was quite anti-military.

17. Larry

Good thing you were not in Jamestown....... Larry

18. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Now this theory I simply must explore. What does the Jamestown settlement of 1607 have to do with your claim that we must celebrate the military for their part in July 4, 1776?

Jamestown was a British colony, and was supplied and defended by British ships and troops. For 169 years, Jamestown was proudly British.

I eagerly await your paper.

19. Larry

I understand the cool-aid was made with sour grapes. Larry

20. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

In dwelling upon this a bit more, it's apparent that a great deal of expert conditioning has occurred in America wherein the flag is presented and so many citizens make an immediate mental association with the military. As the military presents a multitude of heroic images, making the mental connection between the flag and the military is lightning fast, with a very strong bond.

What Independence Day truly represents is being left alone, not being told what to do, being free from meddling, being allowed to live as you choose. These goals are abstractions, intellectual constructs. Thinking about these subjects takes longer, and there is no immediate visual analog for being left alone by the government.

The government has expertly co-opted the powerful visual images of flag and fireworks and imprinted a military meaning in the minds of so many Americans. We all have to fight being so easily led by masterful marketing. When you see the flag on the 4th, instead of thinking of the military, conceptualize an angry lawyer on the steps of Independence Hall reading his legal complaint against King George to the residents of Philadelphia. This lawyer worked long days and long nights with other lawyers and thinkers to write this complaint, and he knew that he would be reading it within earshot of British Regulars.

That's guts. That's heroism. Think of him on the 4th.