slowed sales of old guns?

Discussion in 'History Buffs' started by bobski, Jun 26, 2021.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

is it a sign of the times? seems the guns in the spotlight even amongst seasoned clay shooters these days is newer guns. anyone see a slower trend of older vintage guns being sold or shot on the trap/skeet range?
    i dont see many model 12's, superposed, ithacas, parkers, 32's, m37's, or the likes gracing the ranges.
    im thinking the younger crowd doesnt even know of these historic and fabulous guns.
    appears to me the europeans have cornered the american market.

ShotPlace likes this.
  2. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om Well-Known Member

Interesting observation…new is always better? Cars, tv's and cell phones all “suffer” from new has gotta be better. Maybe maybe not. My daily driver is a 23 year old pickup with heat, AC and a radio. Gets me to the gun club same as a high $$$ spanking new set of wheels. Now shoot your BT99, Rem. 1100 or Superposed and observe how clay targets get smoked exactly the same as a new high $$$ gizmo loaded scattergun. Hummm. New is always better? Maybe maybe not.

3. bobski

people look at me funny when i pull out a model 50 winchester and ask, who made that?

4. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I think a lot of it depends on the area you are in, I live in an age restricted area so as people die off their family will usually sell the guns, sporting eqmt, cars, golf carts, golf clubs, re loaders, components ... I have bought as many as 7 long guns at one estate sale, all but 2 of them were quite old but in perfect condition ( one of them was a Model 12 made in 1936 according to the serial number, had two stocks a Fajen Roll over and the factory wood ) ... There is an abundance of interesting, useful and many times quite unique things being sold that are a long way from being new or modernized ... I bought a box ( still sealed ) of clay target hand throwers at one sale so cheap I gave all of them away with the exception of the two I kept for my self ... I might have to do a little scouting while I am on the mend and see what kind of treasures I can find ... The one sale had a 1978 or 1979 Cadillac Eldorado with 3,500 miles on it, they sold if for $2,500 that is one of the ones I missed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. wpt

I was checking out our local paper, there are nine (9) garage sales close to me for me to scout out this week end, two of them mention guns ... Give me something to do this week end .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Cooperdisciple and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  6. bobski

was a time any wise eastern gun collectors would frequent the gun shops and tag sales in florida....and bring them back to their states for resale and profit. with the internet, most of that is over. everyone can see the deals equally, making the search harder for good deals.

Cooperdisciple likes this.
  7. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

I think its generational -- My dad grew up with the model T hand had to have one in his old age - I had to have a 60's muscle car for retirement - Same goes with gun I have my dads 5-E Ithaca -- had to rebuy a classics model 12 - And I am sure my Krieghoffs will be my heirs memory of me.

8. wpt

I scouted out the before mentioned garage sales, there were a bunch of really great buys to be had though nothing in the way of guns/ cars ... There was a 60# Ben Pearson recurve bow and 3 cases of un opened arrows which was a steal but I have not used a bow in so many years I doubt I would of done Ol' Ben proud so I passed on it ... 3 very interesting deals on Golf Carts that I passed on being short on parking space ( one was a replica 57 Chevy ) ... I will be watching the papers and scouting more sales just to pass some time because it has been very warm here to the point of being dangerous ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

The first weekend in August is the Route 127 yard sale all the way from Michigan to Alabama. This year I'm going to set up and sell some stuff. You wouldn't believe the number of cars on 127 which goes right past the Michigan Home Grounds by the way.

MOE and Cooperdisciple like this.
  10. bobski

is it me or have i aged so much to a point where ljutics are considered old hat and many are being sold off in favor of other 'spin offs?"

11. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

One of the reasons is that people are charging way too much for an older gun. I have always collected Model 21s and have been looking at some lately. But people have them priced so high it's ridiculous. Guys are asking $1000.00 for a Model 12 that is beat to the dickens and I wouldn't give $300.00 for. Just my opinion. :eek:

12. Trap3

Trap3 Mega Poster

As a collector of vintage firearms, the days of $3000-$4000 Model 21`s have long passed...

13. bobski

passed. but not long past. just 5 years ago you could find them for 4g.

14. settersit

settersit Active Member

Hey! ya got a new hobby !

15. John G.

John G. Active Member

People are asking the same price for a Preazzi MX 8 type 3 as MX 8 type 4 . Both good guns but if you had to get the type 3 updated to a type 4 it would be around $ 2000.00 for update and parts . Not hard to to make a choice.

16. bobski

youd think with the state of the union, more people would consider older cheaper guns. a friend of mine just won at a trap meet out in colo with his 1st year production bt99 long tang.
    as they say, "its the nut behind the bolt."

17. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Active Member

Yeah Yeah , Yeah ! Todays Marketing BS'ers have got the attention of new Buyers ! With larger bores , longer Forcing cones and Porting but
    the big change with plastic wads and Screw chokes making a huge impact of wanting a modern gun ?

18. bobski

people like to tinker now. nothing is good enough out of the box.
    Lord forbid....someone take gramps old gun from behind the door and go win a tournament.
    the american gun marketing would have a fit.

I remember back at the world shoot in the 90s, they were canvassing shooters at check in, asking what type of tubes they were using.
    they had for choices ....kolar and briley. obviously, they were trying to see who was top dog.
    so....I filled in below their names.........PURBAUGH. im sure that put a burr in their saddles.
    btw...went on to win the WMIL5MTCH with them.
    lol.

19. urbans

urbans Member

I remember in the late 60's the Ljutics were hot guns and then the Perazzi's, Britt and Dan were shooting the lights out of the targets and then came around was little Leo. Those were the days my friend.

Trap3 likes this.
  20. Will

Will Member

It's super simple- The guns you mention have all gun way up in value. The "younger crowd" simply can't afford them.

So they are using newer guns because of cost and availability like Beretta Auto's for $1800.00 or less, used 694's for $ 4K,686 Silver Pigeon 1's for $2100.00, Entry level Blasers, and C.Guerini all sub $4K.
    These guns are all modern and come equipped with Choke tubes and many with adjustable combs and other new tech.

And as far as the younger crowds not knowing about other historic and fabulous guns?..... you're 100% correct but its not their fault. Its yours and mine and every other shooter that owns these great older guns but just leaves them in their gun safe. The other day I took out my Super X1 to shoot 5-stand and some of the younger shooters that I help asked what it was. None of them had heard of it and when I told them that its simply the greatest semi-auto shotgun ever made they were in awe.

21. bobski

as far as fault, you can remove me from that list. I shoot model 50's and12's.

Will and Cooperdisciple like this.
  22. Joe Roby

Joe Roby Active Member

Funny you should bring this up. Yes old guns don't sell rarely. However, there is a LeFever SxS Grade B made in 1905 with a Miller Single Trigger on GB 3days left bid right now is $5025.00 Go figure that one out Plus I never heard anyone famous shooting a LeFever.