SKB 85TTR Better than Browning XT unsingle

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Phalanx, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

I was at my local gun shop doing some pre-Christmas shopping for me. I was looking at two guns in my price range and type. They have an SKB 85TTR unsingle and a Browning unsingle. (both used) SKB is priced a little less. Neither gun is going to make me a great shooter. I was just wondering which of the two will spend less time in the gun shop.

dr.longshot likes this.
  2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Stick with the Browning!

3. Union Strong

Union Strong Well-Known Member

Rib and comb system will be much better on the SKB.

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Is the Browning part of a combo set?

dr.longshot likes this.
  5. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

6. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Active Member Founding Member

Talk about starting a fight! Why didn't you ask "should I shoot 7-1/2's or 8's from the 20 yard line?"... All you need is a little gasoline for this.

Here it is!

I have an 85TSS and I have had it for 10+ years with I don't know how many rounds thru it. I have replaced 1 ejector (bottom barrel) and 2 hammer springs in that time. It has been back to nebraska once for a check up. The SKB is a little lighter than the Browning and a little smaller in the frame due to the design of the locking mechanism. The SKB has chome bores which helps against rust and helps with clean-up. The Brownings have an excellent reputation and re-sale on the Browning is easier, but the Brownings also have a reputation of rusing very easily, they sometimes rust in the case on the way home from a shooting event. The SKB has an adjustable rib, just like the high dollar guns do, the Browning does not. The wood on both, in a grade one gun is about the same, not great. Both guns are overbored and have long choke tubes, the SKB has a long forcing cone and I don't know about the Browning. All mechanical things can and will break at some point. Service at Browning is TERRIBLE at best, it takes months to have them repair anything, fortunely there are many 'smiths around that can do the work. Repair at SKB, in my experience, is top notch with everything from questions to repairs. Parts for the Browning are available everywhere and when SKB bought out all of the inventory from the factory, they said they have parts for decades to come. I always felt that the SKB didn't cost enough for the gun that you got was the only reason they didn't get the respect of the"Browning" grade guns out there.

Bottom line. Go with the gun that feels and fits the best. The human being is a very adaptable creature and if you want to learn how to shoot the gun you buy, you will. The gun is just a small part of the equation.

It's the indian, not the bow.

All of this is in my humble opinion.

Just Joe likes this.
  7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I've been shooting a K-80 since 1983 and aside from a few broken ejectors it served me well. That said, I switched over to a Winchester SX-1 because of a few eye dominance issues and decided the lower rib might be a fix. My singles average with both guns is nearly 98%. My last K-80 cost around $7,000 while the SX-1 set me back $450. Some might be tempted to say their SX-1 is every bit as good a gun as a K-80 as well as others might believe their SKB is as good as a Browning.

If your SKB breaks down at a shoot (and it will) you'll be left with a broken gun and the need to send it back to SKB for service. If your Browning breaks down (not likely) you'll probably be able to find an on site gunsmith with all the necessary parts for a quick repair. SKB's remind me of the time many years ago when we all shot 1100's and always needed two when one broke down. Pay your money and take your chances but Browning is always your best bet!

dr.longshot and Just Joe like this.
  8. Jake boy

Jake boy Member

SKB !

dr.longshot likes this.
  9. Win101

Win101 Mega Poster

I was always told SKB stood for
    "Shit Keeps Breaking"