Sept 2021 Sparta Wal Mart has pallets of trap loads, Any Truth to it?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by BRAD DYSINGER, Sep 6, 2021.

1. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Someone that I know very well was at the Sparta Wal Mart this past week said that the Wal Mart there had pallets of trap loads. It was early in the week. The price was AA's for $82 a flat and Top Guns for $67. He saw shells going out by the shopping cart full.

I'm sure it is true so that's just another slap at the Cardinal Center ATA registered shooters there. Just last month no shells for you CC. Also I was told the Winchester told their dealers don't even bother to order any primers this year. Good Times All Around.

2. Subjr1

Subjr1 Active Member

Maybe if your shell Vendor Sportsmen’s Den brought shells to the CC for their last shoot it wouldn’t be such a problem. The Sparta Walmart gets more shells than any other in the country due to it being right next to the World Shooting and Recreational Complex. You can’t fault that business for having shells that’s just silly. It’s been that way for a long time. Sportsmen’s had shells at their shop but didn’t bring any to the CC for the classic. That’s a you problem. If you really need shells make the drive and go buy some. That’s what I would do, and have done in the past.
    Maybe companies like Winchester would help the CC out if they didn’t see that some people want their building taken away from them. Or am I just making stuff up? Maybe the CC doesn’t have a rep come for the shoots because they don’t feel welcomed until the SCTP rolls around. I don’t know just an idea
    Keep on guessing
    -Subjr

3. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I have been a Wal Mart stock holder for over 30 years, can tell you Wal Mart Head quarters is in charge of shipping what to what stores and when based on that particular stores annual sales ... The Store in Sparta gets an increase volume of sporting goods (shells) as well as food product (inventory) according to their sales and does not come close to getting the most of any or all stores in the entire country because of their location, actually there are several that out sell the Sparta Wal Mart store according to company records ... If it was not for Wal Mart being in Sparta there would be no attraction at all ... The Pathetic numbers the WSRC generates in attendance that has been established over the past 16 plus years does not justify its existence,( never once broke even or generated a profit, actually added to the States deficit every year over 25 (total) million and counting ) if not for being a State Park it would of been bull dozed and long forgotten ... The ATA will continue milking that cash cow until it dries up, what happens then would be anyone's guess ... If the State of Illinois pulled the plug the ATA would be sucking up to any and all of the clubs to host the grand, maybe even a few clubs combined if they see lack of interest ... The clubs like Cardinal Center will be here for a long time pot holes and all, like it or not because they are not RENTERS or owned by the State ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Yes, you are making stuff up ...

4. Subjr1

Subjr1 Active Member

I never mentioned the events or the #’s the WRSC host. But I did mention that the Walmart gets the most shells because it’s so close to the Complex. Why don’t you try and call Walmart and ask them to stock the ones in Columbus more for the shoots the CC have? Worth a try… who knows
    I’m not making stuff up when I say that there are some members on this site who would want to take Winchester’s building and leave them in the dirt with nothing. But to help cure your biased views here ya go
    ps.. I blackened everything out not because I don’t care, but just so you don’t get confused on what to read

Attached Files:

Cali shooter likes this.
  5. wpt

The Pathetic attendance increases the population of Sparta by roughly 28% for those 2 or 3 weeks, Wal Mart ships accordingly due to the increase in retail sales ... The Store (222) in Sparta gets an crease in inventory based on sales not location ... You can't really think that the established numbers over the past 16 + years generated by the WSRC are anything to write home or brag about ... PATHETIC would be putting it mildly ...
    To all of you who shop at Wal Mart, thanks for your support (even the ones who never will ) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

John Trap likes this.
  6. Subjr1

Subjr1 Active Member

Wouldn’t it be smarter for a business as bug as Walmart to then only send an increase during the events that has peak numbers of sales? (The Us Open and Grand). Instead they send shells years round. I’ve been in the store before in mid March with Pallets just sitting there waiting to be bought. You can keep bad mouthing the WRSC but that’s not what this thread is about… but that’s all you care to talk about

7. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

Years ago dealers bitched about K Mart getting guns when they couldnt.
    I asked Pete Jackson who was a Remington Rep. at the time about that complaint.
    He said that KMart placed their entire order for the year based on the previous years sales.
    That was big bucks up-front for Remington so they got priority.
    Might be the same today with Walmart ?

Regards……..Gerald

BRAD DYSINGER and wpt like this.
  8. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

I've been a Walmart stock holder for over 40 years, so what! Means nothing. Walmart has no affiliation with the WSRC except maybe sponsoring an occasional event, i.e. trap, sporting clays. It's a simple matter of who can sell the most of an item and where. Corporations only care about profit.
    anybody in business would look at it the same way. Not the end of the world, we will come thru this craziness someday, I hope.
    I don't have a horse in this race. Just want all clubs to survive this as we have lost too many already. Be safe and enjoy what we have while we still have it.

wpt likes this.
  9. frostyman

frostyman Active Member

At Wal-Mart in Sparta, it is not just trap and skeet loads. They will have pallets of 22 shells, steel shot, pistol ammo, etc. I was there one day and they had a pallet of 2.5 inch 410 shells in 8 shot and the next day it was all gone. They kept ordering shells even when they could not get them. Other stores quit ordering or would order a box or two at a time.

10. wpt

Nothing to do with bad mouthing the WSRC, you seem to assume that Wal Mart (Store 222) gets additional ammo all year because of the location of the WSRC which is not in any way true ... Southern Illinois is known for hunting so Wal Mart not only considers the WSRC but the rest of the general area also when shipping to the Super Wal Mart in Sparta, Ill ... Wal Mart has not become the Worlds Largest retailer by not knowing exactly what they are doing and why, the Managers have minimal input about what they get for inventory unless it is "Special Order" ... You can bet Wal Mart gets treated quite well by the manufactures / wholesalers because of the over all volume of merchandise they order and sell annually and not because of the existence of the WSRC in Illinois ... The people of Sparta depend on Wal Mart to provide essentials for their family all year round ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

The Wal Mart Stores that generates the most business is in Florida (3) not Illinois ...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Flyersarebest likes this.
  11. bpd20

How many shells are you finding in those (3) Florida stores. My guess is not much but they probably sell the heck out of sunblock and beach towels.
    Walmart is smart enough to sell what they can, where they can. It makes total sense. Why sell Snow mobiles in Pensacola? It is just common sense marketing, nothing more than that. I doubt Walmart is plotting to close any clubs just out to make money in these lean times.

12. wpt

I was responding to a statement that was made by another poster, not you ... I have not heard shooters complaining about shells in Florida, I have not been there to check out the situation ... There are many stores that generate more money (revenue) than the store in Sparta, Ill which is what I was responding to and they don't have the grand (WSRC)to increase annual sales ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. bpd20

Sorry, now I understand. Also, the store managers get a bonus based on store sales which is a reason they always are trying to increase sales. At least it used to be that way. My son worked in management at Walmart for a few years about 10 years ago but has since moved on to a Nursing career.
    The WSRC has a fall shoot coming soon so I guess the ammo will be hard to find again.
    When ammo becomes readily available we probably won't be able to afford it. (lol)

14. wpt

I get a chance to talk with a lot of shooters having been involved with a few clubs over the years ... I'm not so sure it is only the ammo that will not be affordable but the cost of targets is getting almost to the breaking point, combined with traveling, food, and places to stay if not at your home club ... There are a lot of people on a fixed income that have other priority's but still enjoy shooting and socializing with friends that shoot ... I take a ride up to the club occasionally and they do not seem to be lacking shooters on traps, skeet fields, sporting clays, and on occasion bunker ... ( you have to call and make an appointment so you get to shoot ) ...

My Buddy is the Manager of the Super Wal Mart nearest to my house, has been with the Company since he got out of high school , actually his first job and he does very well and lives a very comfortable life and life style ... His son is the Sporting goods manager, says people are obviously hoarding shells based on the amount they sell ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. bpd20

We was discussing target price at the club today. About 6 months ago we raised from $2.50 to $3 a round (Still cheap). May be raising it again due to cost increase. Shot went from$38 to $40 to $42 a bag (includes tax). That is going up next. Powder and primers are hit and miss in inventory. Those are continually going up now.
    Same as wpt though as we do still have a good turn out of the regulars but they may be shooting a bit less than they used to.
    Who knows what the future holds.

wpt likes this.
  16. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

BPD20,

The local club down here in Florida is privately owned and now get $10.00 + tax for a round of skeet, Trap and 25 5 stand targets.

Skeet and trap fields are new but leave a lot to be desired, 5 stand and Sporting Clays venues are fantastic.

So raising your round to 3 bucks would be a great bargain for those of us down here.

There is another Private (members only) club that charges $5.00 per round but they have a $300.00 / year membership fee.

Any way you look at it, clubs like yours could charge $4.00 / round and have a little in the bank for that rainy day.

wpt likes this.
  17. bpd20

Agreed. Actually we are considering going to $4 a round for reasons as you mentioned. We are a 1,000 member club but most are into rifle/pistol stuff.
    We have 1 trap and 1 skeet field but do have supplies cheap also. I like it. Membership is $100 annual.
    Going to shoot at Nilo Farms sporting clays next month which I think is a good deal also. It is $80 for 100 bird course BUT that includes 4 boxes of brand new AA ammo. Only their ammo can be used but heck that is $35 worth of ammo plus you get the hulls. My first time there.
    If it is a clays sport, I want to do it till I drop dead.

History Seeker likes this.
  18. bpd20

Well, I stopped at the Sparta Walmart today. They did have ammo on the floor and shelves. They had a bunch of 12 gauge AA and about 10 flats of 12 gauge Super Target. Lots of .22, some rifle rounds, and a couple boxes of 28 gauge. No 20 gauge at all. Just an FYI.

19. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Well-Known Member Founding Member

Is the name of your club,Mississippi Valley?

20. bpd20

No. Town and Country.