1. Are the trap targets for SCTP thrown at the same regulations as ATA targets?

2. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

I'm told the targets are registered so they must meet the guidelines set forth by the ATA for trap. I would assume the same holds true for the skeet and sporting clays with their respective organizations. I'm really looking forward to the shoot. Watching the young shooters enjoying the shooting sports is real treat!

3. PumpgunBob

PumpgunBob Well-Known Member

Yes. The ATA is the governing body of the SCTP.

4. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Not quite correct.

SSSF is the governing body of the SCTP.

"GOVERNING BODY Since 2008, the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc. (SSSF), a 501(c) (3) non-profit educationalathletic organization provides the administrative support and direction for the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP). Our primary partner, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, continues its role as the founder and major supporter of the SSSF. In addition, SSSF also receives major funding from Larry and Brenda Potterfield, Midway USA, Midway USA Foundation and many other Industry Partners."

The SCTP is partnered with the NGB's of the respective disciplines and uses those rules unless specified differently.

"C. SCTP Partners National Governing Bodies for clay target sports. The SCTP has partnered with four National Governing Bodies (NGB) sanctioning clay target sports in the United States. All SCTP competitive events, including the SCTP State and National Team Championships, will be conducted in accordance with the rules for each of the clay target disciplines as set forth by the appropriate National Governing Body (NGB). See NGB’s listed below:

1. American Skeet National Skeet Shooting Association NSSA www.nssa-nsca.org
    2. Sporting Clays National Sporting Clays Association NSCA www.nssa-nsca.org
    3. American Trap Amateur Trapshooting Association ATA www.shootata.com
    4. Olympic Disciplines USA Shooting USAS www.usashooting.org
    5. College Divisions Association of College Unions ACUI www.acui.org
    6. Coaching Schools National Rifle Association NRA www.nra.org

Rulebooks for each sport are available directly from the appropriate NGB. Contact an NGB by going to its respective website."

Items above in quotes are from the SCTP Handbook.

5. iowa guy

iowa guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Don, at our state shoot (IA) only the 16yd targets are registered. In Iowa the kids are handicapped basically by age group with yard ages of 19, 21, 25. While it's obvious why the HCP are not registered, I'm not sure why the Doubles aren't.

I can only assume that Iowa follows the SCTP guidelines on HCP and that all states and the National competition follow the same format.

Roger Coveleskie and Don Cogan like this.
  6. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Iowa Guy,
    Our state shoot only has singles for the SCTP Day at this point. I would love to see us offer some doubles and caps for the youngsters too. With the awards ceremony added to the end of the day it makes it a pretty long day for the teams and coaches. Maybe we need to have 2 SCTP Days!!!!!

7. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I will have to look, though I think CA shot registered for all 3 events, though they also held the AIM at the same time. So the yardage shot was the ATA yardage and was individual only, I believe. I will have to check on that.

Speaking of the SCTP version of Handicap, I think it is a little off the mark. Yardage was based on group age or division. So odd are the best at singles were also the best at Handicap, which is not how the Handicap game is suppose to work. It would be better to base the group average singles score and come up with a yardage that way. Then within the division though competing at different yardages will be competing somewhat on a more level basis.

Below is a example of the CA State shoot from a few years ago. Still trying to find last years.
    upload_2016-2-26_11-37-8.png

Family Guy likes this.
  8. iowa guy

iowa guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Don, our SCTP shoot is 4 days just for trap. Sporting and Skeet. Have their own deal. 1400 shot the 16 yd trap last year.

9. 62286IL

62286IL Active Member

Who will be in charge of setting targets at the CC?

10. CcJake86

CcJake86 Member

Cardinal Center staff will set all of the competition targets for the event.