Scores change @ different ranges

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by 635 G, May 30, 2021.

1. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Just noticed the scores of a Fl shooter who is currently classed as a D shooter, when he shoots @ his home range in N.FL his scores are approx. 20 targets lower than when he shoots @ the bigger events @ the Silver $--his last 500 targets @ the $ & the MS state shoot are that of an A shooter--looking @ the back of his home club-makes it look like a real tough place to shoot--total tree background--don't think the person is a sand bagger, but there must be away to purify averages or classification for lousy conditions

dr.longshot likes this.
  2. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

now you know why some shooters wont shoot certain ranges or in certain weather, in order to protect their averages. but for those on the other side of the spectrum, they may not have the luxury of traveling to a nicer range.
    bottom line....its impossible to make the sport perfectly even.
    even by having an annual match to even the playing field like the grand or world shoot, there are some fields better than others at these matches, and trust me....the old dogs know it and fight to get them.
    I would tend to believe that anyone who does lousy at their home field, then good at the big show... is more honest than someone who scores super high at his home field, and shoots lousy at the world/grand.

the sign of a seasoned sharpshooter, should be the ability to shoot ANYWHERE and maintain an average.
    this is why I gave up registered shoots.
    as i age out, I find it more challenging, more inviting, and more thrilling to travel the nation, shoot at small obscure clubs, pull out my old gun and go 25 straight right off the bat. or, stay or return to it until I do....than to constantly beat my head against the wall trying for 100/200/400/500 straight amongst those that can.

I think the fellow you speak of is fine. to do better in a bigger venue with all the added pressure is an accomplishment.

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

After closer examination of the shooters scores in the last 1100 singles target he shot (the ones I could see on the ATA site) his average was 93.81--a far cry from a D shooter, IMHO--93-97-95.50-95.50-98-87-87-95.50-95.50-92-96--the two 87's were shot @ his home club

Honestly. I think the classifiers screwed up

4. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

It is a rule that it is the Shooters responsibility to fill out his card with scores but today hardly anyone does it, too much relying on the ATA web site to have the scores correct. Another thing that the ATA has dropped the ball on.

5. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

What an honest guy to accept that "D" classification. !

I would not want to shoot with that guy !

I always knew I was at least holding an "A" average, and would always request at least that IF the classification person had me lower.

It was called Known Ability folks, no matter if the classifier knew me or not, I had a conscience to contend with.

Not trying to be a hero, just honest.

6. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

Who cares, it's sgls.

Hdcp. will get him.

7. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

However; he screwing a real "D" class shooter out of a trophy--most "D" class shooters are old farts like myself or newbies--target managers rule in handicap, like the 18 yarder who won the GAH--shot 7K handicap targets, didn't get a punch--played all the options--it payed for his K-80--
    get the sand baggers out of the game

8. History Seeker

Who cares, it's sgls.

Hdcp. will get him.

Yep, sure as hell did, managed the 19 yard line

92 Caps Thursday

95 Caps Friday

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  9. History Seeker

"D" 25 - 23 - 25 - 25 - 24 - 25 - 23 - 24 = 194

Not bad for Saturday's 200 target event either.

Now, I was never in this situation, BUT IF a "D" shooter were to win an earlier in the week event with high 90's scores, is he supposed to be moved up a class by the management OR is he allowed to remain in D" for the whole event ?

I was asked, and I just don't know, and am asking this in seriousness. Thanks

10. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Lets see how he does , if he goes to the Alabama state shoot & what class he shoots in--

History Seeker likes this.
  11. pump gun guy

pump gun guy Active Member

Agreed , the shooter should update his card . To many don't want to. And another thing is the Scores are WAY late getting posted . Both by the ATA dragging their socks and clubs being WAY LATE turning them in. According to the rules the ATA should be fining the clubs for LATE reports but nobody in the ATA seems to have the stones to do it !

BRAD DYSINGER and History Seeker like this.
  12. History Seeker

And how about the guy (s) who know the Club will not be using computers to classify and have a different card so he (they) can post any score they want on the card, and classifier doesn't know the difference.

I knew of one guy who did this back when I was living up north, same guy would call targets dead for his kid. FINALLY the Officials caught on to this shenanigans and removed him.

There are cheaters in every game who test the waters.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  13. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

What about the shooter who attended a big $$ shoot in Vegas using his son's card-won, when his picture was on the cover of Trap& Field he was caught & banned from registered shooting--anybody out there know his name

14. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

635 G
    You are bringing up something that took place over 35 years ago. For your information, he was banned for life and then let back into the ATA.

You need to get a new hobby you are not good at “Pot Stirring “

Ron Burdick

15. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

What is this class "D" shooters name? Roger C.

16. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Henry Gainer

17. rockcrusha99

rockcrusha99 New Member

Computer classification makes it too easy to classify shooters, which is a thankless job! MS is in shooter info center. PS buy a new Kolar & go to a release! LOL!

18. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

As far as the cheater using someone else card? Yeah I know a guy. He was/is from WV. The shoot was out West, maybe the old Mint shoot? Or one of those "grands" the ata decided to throw every other week somewhere.

He used to shoot at the same clubs I did when all that happened. Saw him on a regular basis. In this case it wasn't his son and the picture wasn't on the cover.

Leo Cerar might have been the first one to call the ata and bring it to their attention. I think fellow member RVH was in Leo's shop when the magazine arrived and they both spotted the picture. Leo was on the phone immediately.

None of us that knew him was that surprised that he did it.

They should have banned him for being stupid. Anyone that stops to have their picture taken after using a buddies card is too damn dumb to be around firearms. They took back the money and trophy and canned him for life. Then after a few requests to get back in so he could "teach his grandson" were denied they caved and reinstated him.

AND THEN, a few years later his name popped up again in 2014. He was one of the guys that had thousands of targets removed from his record for that year.

As far as shooting better at different places?

Funny how it was that before this guys record was "adjusted" you could see all the places he, and his two buds shot along with their scores. Nothing to brag about anywhere except those two clubs that got a slap on the wrist when the SHTF. At those two clubs the scores looked like three of the big dogs showed up. These boys didn't miss more than a handful out of thousands of targets.

Guess who one of his running buddies was. (3 of them shot together) I'll give you a hint

18 yard line, 100 straight

Well at least the guy in THAT picture really WAS the guy that shot that score. I guess the brain surgeon figured he couldn't get away with it twice.

19. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Was it the 18 yd GAH champ

20. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Wow, the "D" shooter was classified as a "B" in Alabama, what a difference--2 class jump in a week

21. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Well, a week later after shooting"B" in Alabama with a 190--he goes to NC ,is classified "C" & shoots a 191--

NC-191--AL-190-MS-194-97-93-S$-191-98-TH-87,TH-87 -FS-191-92-95--

IMHO--this guy is a "A" shooter

22. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Just to verify why I think he should be an "A" shooter--out of his last 1700 targets hit 1606--94.47 %

Not a "C" shooter