Sarasota Gun Club

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by birdrider, Aug 1, 2016.

1. birdrider

birdrider Member

What is happening between ATA and gun club. Sounds bad

2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Yes, well having an opinion and speaking what's on your mind don't go well....If you are not a suck up, brown nose, people don't last there very long even after having been there for a long time ... The man ain't been born yet that can cut my tongue out ... I always say , Don't ask me if you don't want to know because I will tell you ." WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot and oleolliedawg like this.
  3. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

Your guess is as good as mine....

When we were over there this winter, we visited with one of the posters on here who is a very active winter participant at that club. He showed us the Trap expansion layout and Camping layout for the place...It all looked very positive at that time...Sad to see this happening.

Here is the Sarasota letter to the membership.

To the Membership of Sarasota Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays;

There have been several rumors circulating regarding the suspension of all ATA events at the Club, and we want to bring all of you up to date on what is happening.

On July 1st, the Club received notice from the ATA that one of our long term members and volunteers had been suspended for life by the ATA for falsifying scores submitted to the ATA. This was the first notification that the Club or the member involved had of any issue in this regard. The charges were brought by two individuals, one of whom is not a member of our Club and the other, is related to an individual expelled from the Club nearly 10 years ago for conduct inconsistent with the Club’s bylaws and rules of conduct. Your Board, the accused, or any other member of the Club, did not receive any evidence of this alleged wrongdoing, or were we or the accused provided with the opportunity to confront the accusers or the ATA, review any of the supposed evidence, or receive any form of due process as it related to these charges. Instead, this individual was found guilty without the ability to represent himself in this case. In our view, this appears to be part of an agenda by persons within the ATA to tarnish this individual’s name. Unfortunately, our Club’s reputation is also tarnished by this unacceptable action by the ATA and we cannot permit this to happen. Therefore, as we would do for any member of the Club wrongly treated by an outside organization, the Board agreed unanimously in a letter sent to the ATA and FTA dated July 7th, to suspend all ATA events scheduled at the Club going forward pending a meeting with a representative of the ATA executive committee at our Club with your Board of Directors to explain how this unacceptable and unilateral action by the ATA was handled.

We offered the ATA the opportunity to respond and schedule a date and time for this meeting, but they stated that all the ATA directors were not available due to tournament schedules in their respective regions, but would meet with any board members that may be attending the Grand. Since this needs to be presented to our entire Board because of the malicious intent and consequences, and no Club board members will be at the Grand, we informed the ATA that the suspension would stand pending their acceptance of our invitation to a meeting at our Club.

For those of you interested in participating in an active Trap program at the Club, we will continue to run trap tournaments as before but without the ATA involvement and monies ordinarily going to the ATA or FTA going to prizes instead. We will however not be throwing ATA registered targets until further notice. If you have any further questions regarding this matter please contact our Manager Don Webster at the Club.

The Board does look forward to a positive outcome to these egregious charges.

Board of Directors
    Sarasota Trap Skeet and Sporting Clays

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
    wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  4. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

upload_2016-8-2_13-49-17.png

wpt likes this.
  5. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The ATA has lost the respect that the clubs deserve, these clubs are their bread and butter no matter how big or small they may be and deserve to be treated as such .. Bad news travels fast ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

Enlighten me here please.

A man named Earl Scripture was the talk of the ATA world.

When they suspended him for the same reasons (I believe) did the ATA refuse that club from running any more ATA shoots ?

Sort of curious is all.

7. iowa guy

iowa guy Mega Poster Founding Member

The way I understand how this unfolded is the Club decided not to hold ATA shoots, the ATA didn't prohibit them from it.

I also doubt the ATA banned this individual without any investigation and that the letter of his banishment was the first time he was made aware of the allegations against him. Word is that he was accused of falsifying scores and apparently had not retained the shoot scoresheets as required by ATA rules.

8. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The guy wasn't shooting from the 18 yard line was he?

wpt likes this.
  9. davidson

davidson Active Member

A cold day in hell will come before the EC is more honest than the common member. I will wait to form an opinion.