RJ Stuart Closing Banks At The Ohio State Shoot

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by oleolliedawg, May 31, 2016.

1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Word today is Stuart is already closing some so called premier banks at the Ohio State Shoot. It seems like a few prima donnas think a boycott of the shoot is in order. One pretender in particular no longer shoots ATA targets claiming he has insufficient funds while the other believes since he's a fairly good shot he and his squad somehow deserve first crack at the best banks and to hell with the peons-probably also too cheap to pre-squad. Since I don't believe there are any poor banks at Cardinal Center and Harlan shoots any bank available there's not really an issue. Pity these poor babies they might have to split up at times!

wpt, Rob Taylor and Columbus like this.
  2. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I have Banks 1,2,4 for the whole thing. But I presquad just for myself and sent it on on April 18th. Been doing it that way for every shoot, every year with no issues getting the East side Banks at all.

bruin likes this.
  3. thorn dog

thorn dog Member

Bank 5 and 6 for me. ;)

davidson likes this.
  4. davidson

davidson Active Member

Pre-squad thing .....got bank 6 by request.

5. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

Draw for banks and end the problem.

Just Joe and Michael McGee like this.
  6. oleolliedawg

Problem with drawing banks is some of the "big dogs" won't shoot unless they get their special banks and that $2 fee adds up for the club. I wish it was that easy. Maybe charging everyone an extra $1 for changing to no bank selection is even better!

7. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

If there are closed to anyone they should be closed to all even if eliminated from use all together ... Every body should have to play by the same set of rules , take that status and stuff it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. HKMLOG32

HKMLOG32 Active Member Founding Member

Is it mandatory that you have to pre-squad. Can u still squad the day u get there.

9. oleolliedawg

All you have to do is stand in line with the rest of the peons, grab an opening and break some of the nicest targets thrown anywhere. If you have a full squad you'll have to take what's available. It didn't bother Harlan one bit last year!

wpt and Columbus like this.
  10. Flor1

Flor1 Member

Let them go home end of problem guessing nobody's paying extra to watch them shoot.

wpt and Just Joe like this.
  11. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

If I make it to shoot Sunday RJ Stuart give me the worst bank you believe the Cardinal Has.

GB.........................DLS

12. Columbus

For Sunday HCP I have Bank 1, Post 2, Squad 61 and I won't be shooting it. Haven't released it yet but plan to; so it will be open. Want to switch, let me know.

13. oleolliedawg

Don't tell anyone but I have no problem with bank 4!

14. 320090T

I like bank 4 too!

15. targetbreaker

targetbreaker if it goirs bang I probley shot it.

Well I went down on Friday to shoot the Buckeye got there early a.m. to shoot hdy& dbls , and was told there were no open spots to shoot, had to start a new squad, but as I road around the trap line I saw all kinds of short squads from 1 person shooting by them self to 2-3 on squads, lots of short squads, that is what is wrong with pre-squads that they never take the line, there are folks need that spot, they leave open, and never take the time to turn in that spot. just my view to many short squads there.

16. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I gave registere3d shooting Sunday my best shot after a long layoff since Having my foot Amputated, I had to drop out after shooting 50 targets, I was on squad 97 Bank #1 post #5, my back started killing me, If I had brought my stool I might have been able to shoot all 100, but hindsight is 20/20

Gary Bryant....................................Dr.longshot

17. SUJumanji

SUJumanji Member

Do you actually talk to Harlan before you make such silly comments about what he thinks or feels? Have you ever actually talked to him or is it easier to just make things up?

18. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

SUJumanji

I read that post several times and do not see where anyone said they know what Harlan thinks. (who's Harlan anyway) You're a bit defensive. Did you think dawg was calling you one of those poor babies that might have to split up at times. Confused.

19. oleolliedawg

Maybe if you'd show up to shoot there, actually see Harlan shooting banks other than the prima donna banks and still breaking winning scores you'd have the right to flap your trap. Otherwise, grow up and just shoot the damn targets and maybe even have a pity party if you must split up your squad. It might even cut down on those "dead birds" so often called by some of those"best bud" squads.

For those in the know, the so called worse banks at Cardinal Center are better than any of the best banks in PA and Harlan somehow manages to break fabulous winning scores there too. Try again!

Smithy and Columbus like this.
  20. SUJumanji

SUJumanji Member

Does presquadding for him, shooting 10,000+ targets with him at the CC, and actually knowing how he feels about the banks there give me a right to flap my trap?

I for one try not to 'flap my trap' in public unless I know what I am talking about.

21. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

NO! jmo I have never met a mind reader or in this case a mind "feeler".

I would let this guy speak for himself and spend more time worrying about my own trap.

22. bruin

bruin Member

That is what I do.

23. dr.longshot

I do not believe Harlan Campbell shot The Buckeye Open, I went to RJ Stuart Web Site and searched his Name and nothing came up, so why all the Bruha about Harlan Shooting specific Banks. While there Sunday and Saturday I did not see Harlan on the Grounds.

Ladies and Gentlemen just let Cardinal Center the only fair Shooting to all shooters is drawing Starting banks 1/2 hour to 1 hour before shoot starts.

Have Permanent Starting Bank Sheets printed up, so they can be posted in specific areas for every one to see where they start.

A lot of clubs DRAW STARTING BANKS. There should be an ATA rule on this specific matter for all clubs to comply w/ definite Time of the Bank Drawing TIMES. No prior starting times allowed.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant................................Dr.longshot

24. James344

James344 Well-Known Member

Drawing banks works in some places, but there is a history of not drawing banks at the CC. RJ makes two bucks for every event that someone pre-squads. I do it for my son. It's worth the money to me and saves time from standing in line every morning when we can do more productive things like eating breakfast and getting some warmup rounds in. If people don't want to spend the extra $2 per event to pre-squad, that's up to them. But when a lot of the shooters will spend nearly $1000 in target/ATA/OSTA fees to shoot the state program and play the options (not to mention the cost of the shells), an extra $22 - $28 to pre-squad is nothing.

Now I don't agree with the practice of requiring people to squad at banks 5,6 and 7, but in reality those banks are really only tough just prior to dusk and nobody is shooting that late anyway. Any other time of day they are fine. Hell, the practice traps are tough near dusk and that's where they hold shoot-off's.

Columbus likes this.
  25. dr.longshot

James344: Pre squadding for early entry but not bank selection would be the norm, no standing in line,

GB........................................DLS

26. dr.longshot

James344: In early trapshooting years you signed up, paid your options, you had to go to Multiple Places to View sheets to find out what trap and position you had

GB................................DLS

27. dr.longshot

You the shooter was squadded by your yardage only, You just found your yardage then looked for your name, And YAHOO your starting bank.

GB................................DLS

28. dr.longshot

The advantage of PRE-Squadding is you shoot with your friends, not your Bank Selection, and no standing in line for Squadding, but you still need to be Classified for target attainment/penalty application, you still have to stand in line to pay your entry fee.

GB............................................DLS

29. Columbus

The specific advantage of pre-squadding (for me) is bank selection. I don't care who I shoot with but greatly prefer to pick my banks and my squad position.

30. James344

Gary, we're not in the early days anymore. Things have changed a lot since your hey days. A lot of things have changed all over the world. Instead of complaining about how things are done vs how they used to be done, try to get along with how they are done. Other places draw for banks. The CC doesn't. That's how it is and unless RJ changes things, that's how they'll be.

Yes, we still stand in line for classification and cashier, but you have to admit those lines are much shorter and smoother running than the squadding lines, especially at the CC. I keep wishing they would replace some of the cashier windows with squadding windows, but that hasn't happened yet. And I pre-squad. It just sucks to see so many people standing in those four lines when there are so few standing in the cashier lines.

My son is starting college in the fall and probably will only shoot during the summer months. My youngest son is 10 and says he wants to shoot just like his big brother. When that happens we'll go along with the way things are then. I'm not going to complain about how things should be or how they used to be. We'll play by the rules that we're given and do our best.

Columbus likes this.
  31. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

We all have our fav banks. I get there is dislike for 5,6,7. But guess what? Its the same background as the shoot off traps there. My .02

32. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

James that is the biggest line of crap I have seen on this forum.

1. Some of us care more than you. We liked it when there were 4000 in an event. We like the previous sporting targets. Lets say we make the game better and attract more shooters and you learn to like it.

2. We have lost 2/3 of our shooters and you think that is great and want others to stop trying to end the bleeding.
    Great....I hope you dont bitch when or if we make things better. Dont complain when we try to educate the average Joe on how things used to be. Keep your head in the sand. Don't complain about us either.

33. oleolliedawg

Break up your squad and grab single openings on your favorite bank! Usually works for us.

34. Columbus

Other than screaming, crying, and criticizing I'd like to know exactly what you (meaning you specifically) are doing to get ATA and trap shooting back to how it used to be.

35. James344

I'm curious when there was ever 4000 in an event. Looking back through the records that RJ publishes, I never see anywhere that there have been more then 3000 for an entire day. That is total entries, which includes the people that shoot all events.

I'm not saying that there wasn't higher attendance years ago. It appears that the early 2000's show the highest numbers. But numbers are down everywhere. You can't tell me that the ATA BOD is at fault there. There's no why you can hold one entity responsible for lower numbers. Look at the economic situation this country is in.

People just do not have the expendable income anymore. Ammunition prices are higher. Clubs are having to raise fees. Is that the BOD's fault too? It is getting more costly for people to shoot across the board. That's why numbers are down. You can't blame easier targets for the dwindling attendance. Logic states that easier targets should indicate higher attendance numbers. If the game is so much easier, why aren't more people playing? It's all about cost. The BOD can't control the cost of ammunition, or targets, or even what it takes to pay the workers. If it costs more for an entity to put on an event, they are going to raise the cost for people to attend. It's simple economics.

Should the ATA have stayed in Ohio? Probably, and I think they would have if they could. And I really wish they would have. I went to the Grand a couple of years ago and had a good time for the few days I was there. I'd go every year if it was still in Ohio. But they couldn't control the airport needing the land to expand. And at the time there was no other facility in Ohio that could contain that many people. Once the CC gets finished expanding, maybe it can. But once again it comes down to outside forces that the BOD cannot control.

Granted, I've only been part of the game for the last 6 years, so what do I know? It seems to me that the OSTA has done a pretty good job of keeping the entry fees for the CC shoots steady. Even they are charging a service fee of $1.50 per 100 targets for the state shoot this year.

36. oleolliedawg

"Johnny Come Latelies". The Grand Handicap had exactly 5,000 entries in 1999.I know, I was there!

Attached Files:

37. James344

We're not talking the Grand though. Of course it'll have more shooters. But this discussion is about the CC. Any comment about the Grand attendance is irrelevant to this discussion. Today's Grand has more attendees than the Ohio State shoot and those numbers have been going down too. But, they don't draw for banks in Sparta either, so thank you for bringing that up.

38. oleolliedawg

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant anywhere!

39. 320090T

Ollie, I remember the 5000 year, white hats were along Main St asking for shooters. I was asked three times if I'd signed up yet. They really wanted, and got the 5000 shooters.

40. James344

No worries. I'm Sorry myself for the miscommunication. When I said anywhere I meant in the past history of the any of the shoots at the CC. 5000 shooters would be something to see.

41. Rosey

Rosey Mega Poster Founding Member

oleo, If there is no "advantage" to bank selection, then why is RJ Stuart reserving those banks for presquadding? Why didn't they reserve banks 1 thru 7? Would have made it much easier for the people squadding.

Gee, do you think that would have affected how many people would presquad and $$$$? This is almost laughable. You basically agree that it is OK to through the drive ins, and working stiffs that don't know what days they can shoot under the bus, and put them on the worst banks? All for money....pay to play I guess.

My squad presquadded 2 weeks ago because we had a couple guys that didn't know what days they could get there. 3 are business owners and 2 are retired. At the Buckeye I did get to shoot on Bank 4 (Thursday) and 7 (Sunday's handicap cause they wouldn't open any more banks). Guess which one I prefer?

42. LadyT

LadyT Mega Poster

So why are these banks so bad to shoot on

43. Columbus

Because all the other banks have wide open backgrounds and 5,6,7 are cluttered with an uneven stand of trees that, at times, make targets harder to see.

44. Rosey

Especially on cloudy or windy days. I question oleo's knowledge/experence on this one. Maybe he's a 19 yarder that took the (2) 2 yard reductions?

And you're spending good money to shoot those targets....against presquadders that pay to get their time, bank, and squad mates.....possibly retired with plenty of time on their hands to presquad?

oleo, have you concluded I don't favor presquadding when favored banks are yanked from the ranks?

45. Rosey

lord maker, During shoot offs EVERYONE has to shoot those banks.....and when it gets dark they are a bi&#ch. However, everyone does not have to shoot those banks to get to the shoot offs.

46. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Then read up newbie. Learn to use the search function.

47. oleolliedawg

Sorry, oleo is stuck at the 26 yd. line and was classified AAA Singles at the Southern Grand. That said, oleo favors drawing banks and isn't happy with closing preferred banks. Unfortunately, the income derived from pre-squadding is significant and some clubs are reluctant to give it up so I'm forced to work with the system as provided.

If you think a few trees in the background are a deal breaker then stay away from PA. We wouldn't even know what a sky target looks like!

wpt likes this.
  48. Rosey

oleo, Almost every club we shoot at locally has a tree background. But they are not a jigsaw cut out of variable depth and heights, . And even if they were, EVERYONE would have to shoot the same background. I actually like a full tree background. Makes the bird easier to see. Mason's background is trees too and visibility is great till a head wind lifts them up above the trees, then for a second they disappear.

It's all about $$$. Name another shooting sport where you can give yourself an advantage of background by paying for it? Skeet, sporting, international, bunker, rifle or pistol?

wpt likes this.
  49. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Heck .... I would like to know ANY Shooting Sport where you can give yourself ALL the advantages that Trapshooting allows.

Can "Bunker Shooters" turn down a hard target presentation and claim it was a "slow pull" ????

Can "Sporting Clay" shooters reset the targets if the weather changes, or the just don't like something about them ????

Can a "Rifle/Pistol" shooter "flinch", shoot in the dirt, then self-declare a "FTF", and get a mulligan ????

The broken class system, the out-dated yardage system, pick your targets, mulligans, bank selection, calling targets .... on and on and on ....

What a joke the entire Sport is .... soon I will be able to shoot Sunday's Handicap on Tuesday, because the Bank I want on Sunday is full. And if I break over a 60 I can shoot additional "shoot-off" targets so my trinket will not go uncontested.

robb and wpt like this.
  50. James344

I will admit that the FTF rule is outdated. Perhaps it should be revised from 2 for every sub-event to 2 per 100, or 2 per event. That would definitely cut down on the number of targets people can pass on if they don't like it.

robb and wpt like this.
  51. LadyT

LadyT Mega Poster

Don't see that as a problem now a train moving in the background with orange, red,green and yellow containers is a problem but you adapt.

wpt likes this.
  52. Chucker81c

Chucker81c New Member

I see no problems with bank 5! Shot the best I ever shot and won a runner up in the D class earlier in the week, and I won the D class singles championship on Saturday! I found it a lot more distracting shooting on banks 11&12, with the cars driving in and out of the sporting clays area!