Rhino Stingers

Discussion in 'Skeeters Corner' started by amboy49, Feb 26, 2019.

1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I no longer shoot registered skeet but still like to shoot 3-4 rounds a week with friends. I’d prefer the sub gauges due to the lessor recoil. Not wanting to invest in a full set of Briley or Kolar tubes, I’m thinking I might opt for a set of Briley Sidekicks or Rhino Stingers to shoot in my K80. I’ve seen the Sidekicks and have a pretty good understanding of how they work. The Rhinos apparently work on a different fit principal than the Sidekicks in that they utilize an “O” ring instead of the plastic or Delrin type button.

However, I don’t see the Stingers listed on the Rhino website and I’m wondering if they are no longer being manufactured (?)

If I was still shooting registered I’d go for a full set of fitted Ultra Lights but just not wanting to spend $2,000. Another option would be the Briley Companion tubes but they carry a higher price point than the Sidekicks or Stingers and my goal is the lowest cash outlay.

Hoping someone with first hand experience with the Stingers can weigh in.

Thanks in advance

2. Reyper

Reyper Mega Poster

As a person who has tried and shot all the small gauge reducers, In my opinion the Rhino Stingers are hands down the best. They keep your balance of the gun since they are about 15" in length and have screw in chokes for skeet and sporting distances. They do not rely on the bore or choke of the 12 gauge. I have had several sets throughout the years for myself and shooting buddies who come from out of the country to spend some time playing. As a side note, like all small gauge tube reducers, they perform best with AA or STS shells. If not, you may have the occasional stuck hull and need to pop it out with fingers or knife blade. Feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like any further info. Good shooting, Rey

3. snooky

snooky Member

I don't think Rhino stingers are still in production.
    I have the Briley Sidekicks for my 20ga. K-80 barrels and couldn't be more satisfied with the 28ga. the 410 not so much. Had a set of full length tubes made for the 410.

Hope this helps

4. cheetah

cheetah Well-Known Member

I have a nice complete set of Rhino Stingers I might sell.

lightning20ga likes this.
  5. mpolans

mpolans Mega Poster

Rhino Stingers probably haven't been made in about a decade.

6. cheetah

And your point is ?????

7. mpolans

mpolans Mega Poster

The OP asked why Rhino Stingers weren't listed on Rhino's website.

8. cheetah

Thanks point well taken.

9. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Active Member

how much u want 4 them?

10. Hasbeen

Hasbeen Well-Known Member

Rhino does not make the stingers any longer due to liability issues or so the owner told me when I spoke with him about getting a part for a used set I acquired. He said too many people ignore the instructions and fire ammunition not designed for them(heavy field loads and even pistol and rifle rounds) and were destroying them and damaging their guns then demanding compensation so they discontinued them. He told me "if you buy a set of used ones pray hard the fellow who owned them before you shot only the factory recommended target loads through them (the exception being 410 which can shoot 3" field loads) as they could be compromised from an over pressured load and you would not know it until they come apart when fired and possibly damage your gun or worse". Made me nervous so I sold the set I had acquired without ever firing them.

11. cheetah

I have never had any issues with the Rhino tubes I have they came from the factory with very intuitive instructions very pleased with mine !

magnett and Hasbeen like this.