Replacing clay targets with frozen snow balls

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Old1Eye, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Old1Eye

Old1Eye Old 1 Eye

Merry Xmas to all members as I sit here in Florida at 30 degrees I reflect on the days in NJ when we used to shovel the snow off the pads to shoot in winter. With the price of ammo and components causing a drop off in shooting in generalI was thinking how adding some dye to water and making ice balls for targets could be a cost savings. If there was a machine that could throw them people could make their own targets. The best part is it would be environmentally friendly I also think shotguns should be made quieter as we lost several clubs from neighbors complaining about the noise I realize this is a bigger deal than we all want to go threw but could help in the long run. I will get off my soap box now I just want to post ideas for the future of our love of shooting and hunting.
    Piece on Earth to all
    Buddy Walters

2. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

they did this back in the 40-50's up in minn. problem was, with just a little change in temp, the machine rusted, and they all stuck together. it was abandoned.
    there are ice target pats' currently, but for hand toss only.

3. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

How many man-hours it would take to make 125 targets for ONE round for ONE squad??

4. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

oh, at least a couple 24hr periods for ice to get hard! lol.
    id bet there wouldnt be any show me's for sure!

mudpack likes this.
  5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

There was a plan to build ice aircraft carriers during WW2, I can't remember if it was US or British Brains that came up with it.