Remington 57 primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by pedulla, Mar 11, 2021.

1. pedulla

pedulla Member

I am new to reloading, I have some Remington 57 primers, can they be used in STS hulls, 1 oz loads?

2. Trap3

Trap3 Mega Poster

I don`t think they will fit properly. Too small diameter for today`s hulls...

Trap3

3. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

They are smaller. They were for the Game/hunting loads. They quit making them about 30 years ago. Look at any of the reloading manuals such as Lyman's #3. They are only listed for Hunting loads. This manual will list the Hulls that will work. I used to load with them for my Duck and Goose Hunting loads. They work fine for that. I don't think there were any Target loads listed in that manual. Anyway if you use them they will not stay in the Primer pocket as they are considerably smaller diameter.

Bc99 and Trap3 like this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

How old do you have to be to remember #57's, a plastic drinking straw, a razor knife, and the patience of Job.

oleolliedawg and History Seeker like this.
  5. Michael jenis

Michael jenis Well-Known Member

How do you do the straw trick ?? I have a few of those old primers too.

6. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The straw was the "bushing" to take up the difference in diameter. First thing you need is the correct size straw.

I think? the In Line muzzle loader guys can buy a smaller plug and use the #57's. Just in case you want to sell them to someone that can use them instead of getting out the Band-Aids.

7. pump gun guy

pump gun guy Active Member

You can either glue them in with apoxy or use the straw bushing . I just use them in my muzzle loader. The primer pocket in my muzzle loader does fine with them. They fit a bit loose but work fine.

8. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

too much work. just triple fold a napkin and ram it thru and cut it off.

9. find some old rem s/p trap shells they take a#57 primer

10. they might work in active hulls too

11. Dale

Dale Member

Straws from Costco are the perfect diameter to use as a "bushing". I've got 1,000 of the 57's i bought a few years ago for $5.

I would not use in a semi auto as I would expect a few of the primers could dislodge when the gun cycles, and could lodge in the action. Just to be on the safe side, I would not use in a tube set either.

I only use the in one & done shells, and in my OU they go bang and break targets just fine.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  12. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

Do you use the same recipe as current Remington primers?

13. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

14. Dale

Dale Member

I use the same load recipe when using the #57 primers and do not see a difference in the breaks.
    To be sure, it is more work. However, as I understand Winchester and Remington primers are going for $110 per thousand vs. the $5 I paid for a thousand #57, it's worth my time.
    Again, I would not use in a tube set or semi auto. However, in an OU they seem to work just fine.

15. bobski

57 receipes and rem 209 are close enough to be the same data.

16. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

I've accumulate about 3,000 of these. Wish there was an easy way to use them up.Is there a market for these?

17. bobski

black powder guys use them somehow.
    the 1000 that i have were given to me by friends who didnt have the time of day to deal with them. i dont mind, since im retired, but im not paying to deal with them! some mind, some dont. good luck!

18. Axl.Rose

Axl.Rose New Member

I’ve done the straw method and had great luck with it. Takes a little time but not to big of a deal.