Remember when there there was money in the game?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by butterly, Apr 12, 2022.

1. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Can anyone remember when we shot for money?

Target prices, ammo, everything costs more. And we are shooting for trinkets and points.

What is the focus of your trapshooting organization? Do you know?

If I was shooting in a money shoot and the handicap system worked, these prices wouldn’t matter much.

My shooting organization is focused mostly on making management rich. It is focused on supporting an unwanted venue.

Tell me about your orgs focus.

2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Read Steve's book, (Blowin Smoke) it'll explain a lot of things about the money, the game, the shoots and the people ... I am not a reader but had to read it 3 times, every time it made more sense being as it was written by a guy who really knows the in's, out's, and pit falls of the game ... Steve's book should be mandatory reading for all trap shooter young and old ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  3. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

If you're thinking about making money shooting trap you might want to consider a different sport. Just saying

Roger Coveleskie and alf174 like this.
  4. rudolphjodie

rudolphjodie New Member

Before covid I figured if I was going shooting. I wanted them registered. Now I go out 3-4 times a week. Maybe shoot 50, maybe 100. Dont register any more. Just go out to shoot, drink coffee, sort facts with the guys . More fun, might take all morning . Find out lots more fun and cost less than registering them (why)?

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  5. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

(WHY);You are not putting money in the piggy bank for the ATA to squander. On their pet projects and the $25,000.00 shot gun. Roger C.

6. MOE

MOE Mega Poster Founding Member

It's not only the lack of money, but what clubs offer as a trophy after charging .41 for one target is both laughable and embarrassing! Remember when state shoots actually had added money and you could win something to be proud of? Those days are gone and yes I understand there were more shooters then, but we didn't pay .41 for a target either.

boiler1 and OLD MAN like this.
  7. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

you guys need to come to my place and do it the old fashion way. trophy, food, fun, and everyone goes home knowing us and the others by first name.
    problem is, no one wants to spend the money to travel and lodge, in the middle of nowhere anymore. i had to cancel the 50 yd calcutta money game last meet. had only 4 shooters show.

8. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

50-yard Calcutta? Sounds like a ton of fun- even if the scores aren’t too high.

9. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

butterly since you mentioned trinkets for trophies I looked at the 1964 grand program and looked at the clay target championship trophy list and the 2021 c t trophy list to compare. Back then the trophies were mostly sterling silver. All told there were a total of 33 trophies awarded for the clay target event plus a total of $3000 in added money. In 2021 there were a total of 90 trophies and $560 in added money which went to the zone and state teams. In 2020 there were 1154 entries in this event and in 1965 there were probably more entries than in 2020. I'm wondering if it might be in the best interest of our sport if the $25,000 that is used for the out going presidents gun would be used to upgrade the value of the trophies.

This is not in any way the total, but a possible way to compare 9 days in 1964 to 11 days in 2021. 33X9=297 compared to 90X11=990. Most of the days there would be fewer trophies in each event, but 2 or 3 events per day just to say that there are a lot more trophies awarded now than there were then. Back then there was no jr gold, sub vet, sr. vet, or lady 2. Buying trophies for a shoot now with the amount of money allotted has to be a monumental task and very under appreciated. Just my thoughts.

Dave Berlet

10. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

the 50yd match starts on the 10yd line.
    on a combo field, that would be sta 8 skeet facing the bunker. then you move back to 20-30-40 and 50. whoever lasts to the 50, wins by hitting it before someone else. i/e: you get it on your 2nd shot, and the other guy hits it on his first and knocks you out and wins.
    hoa, 2nd get prize bags. but the trophy is reserved for the 50yd match during the 2 day event.
    we do a 50-50 split if anyone wants to do it again as a seperate event. its addicting. many like to play it as if its a pinball game. they just keep putting in coins trying to beat the opponents gathered around the table!
    heres last years winner.
    he did it with a 20ga!!
    10-21.jpg

11. MOE

I would definitely be in favor of eliminating the Junior Gold and Sub- Vet category.

12. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Now we know why the Lewis system was developed.

13. MOE

Incredible, .38 a target not to mention added fees my Buddy who had an outstanding weekend of shooting ended as runner-up to our Prez ,who by doing so became Michigans 2022 State Singles Champion runner-up was given a single box leather shell pouch for his accomplishment. That to me is sad, That's something that you would expect to get at a local club shoot. They wonder why attendance is down? High target prices, high shell prices, higher cost's getting there , and when after dealing with all of that and you do well they can't even give a descent trophy to properly acknowledge your accomplishment. Maybe I'm wrong , but they aren't afraid to charge high prices for targets but pretty stingy when it comes to trophy's! My thoughts are if something really significant was given there would be more of an incentive to shoot.

OLD MAN, boiler1 and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  14. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Whadda' ya' want for second place??

15. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Member

But it really wasn't second place . It was first place --------looser .

mudpack and wpt like this.