remember the days when...

Discussion in 'Skeeters Corner' started by bobski, Jun 25, 2021.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

.....skeet guns came from the factory with just buttplates?

how many skeet guns do you still shoot with just a buttplate?

win model 50 and remington model 11 sportsmans for me.

2. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

Not just buttplates, but adjustable combs and adjustable buttplates were completely non-existent. Shooters might have had a recoil pad installed, but other than that we just went out shot them as they were, and if they didn't fit we just adjusted our bodies to make them. The words "gun fit" were hardly spoken in the same way they are today. I started at 10 years old with first an 1100 20ga Skeet "B" my dad gave me for Christmas and a couple of years later a 28" San Remo 4 barrel set. Other than new recoils pads installed, I shot both with unaltered original stocks for years and it eventually led to serious recoil issues for me. The equipment and knowledge available to today's shooter is a far cry from what I started out with.

3. bobski

shooters today have lost the art of fitting themselves to a gun.
    gizmos have carved out a pretty big niche in the gun world.

4. bobski

taking my model 50 skeet factory length stocked gun out for some skeet tomorrow. gonna pop out 100 rounds. OMG! how will I survive w/o it fitted! surely I will return injured.
    m50 upgrade.JPG

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  5. bobski

lets make this a challenge. anyone see a modern current skeet gun being sold with just a buttplate?

6. bossbasl

bossbasl Mega Poster

Krieghoff M32 Olympic Skeet; 28" Tula choked barrels, bottom barrel "shark gill" porting.

7. bobski

I don't think a m32 k gun is considered current!

8. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

That was when the average shooter was 40 years younger -- You can put me in that class -- at Seventy you start grabbing at straws, trying everything to get your old scores back - realizing you made it to the top, and it is a long slide down the other side -- so you try everything you can to slow it down.

9. Jack Olson

Jack Olson Mega Poster

At 75 I need all the recoil reduction I can get.

MDavid likes this.