Rain rules

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by navlifer, Jan 31, 2015.

1. navlifer

navlifer Member

I was at a major shoot last summer and a big storm hit. When the lightning got close the shoot was halted. The shooting was not halted simply because it was raining. When the lightning was gone and there was only rain the order came to go back to the line.

What if you refuse to finish the event? I am not complaining but I might want to keep a rain gun handy on bad weather days. tia

2. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

If anyone went back to shooting then I think that the scores should be counted with the remainder of the 100 as losses if someone refused.

I have watched one group walk off the line at several different shoots while others shot in the rain. One was a GAH champion.

3. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Yep,there lost targets.

4. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Active Member Founding Member

I've shot in rain so hard it's difficult to see the targets. As long as there's no lightning, keep shooting or get a bunch of losses.

5. beretta680

beretta680 Member Founding Member

Rain Gun?

6. Leonidas

We were shooting at one event and it started to rain after the first post, by the last post my bottom row of shells were underwater. Still went off.

7. Laserwizard

I dont change guns with rain. Its K80 all the way, rain or shine.

8. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

As tournament director at Cardinal shoots I was always watching the radar and had the trap line help watching the sky. If lighting was anywhere in the area we shut down the line, safety first, rain on the other hand was more a call that I made depending on things. What event in the days rotation, how hard the rain was, was it going to stop anytime soon, did I think we had the time to delay and still finish. After many years I got comfortable making the day to day calls that a tournament director needs to make so the shoot would run smooth and at a shoot the size of the CC shoots it is doubly important. I was very lucky that I got to work with a CC staff that stayed relatively intact for the whole time I was there, after a few years a lot of the time they new what I was thinking and going to say before I did myself. I had as much fun doing the TD job as I did shooting.
    Brad

Smokintom likes this.
  9. jmunsell

jmunsell Well-Known Member Founding Member

I was at one shoot where we just kept on shooting when a big clap of thunder hit our area. Scared me you know what.

10. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I wish I would have had a small camera with me one day at the GRAND in VANDALIA. I could show you what the INSIDE of trap house 28 looks like.

Flyersarebest

11. Leonidas

Can you imagine what it was like at the Oklahoma State shoot a few years back. Glad no one was hurt.

12. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

Back in 97 I shot the Hawaii State shoot which was held on the Big Island. The shoot was scheduled to start each day at 9AM but each day it was a lite rain until 11AM. Shoot management held off starting the shoot until the rain stopped at 11. With the number of shooters being a low number it really did not matter. I have also shot in rain so hard you shot at what you thought was the target. The only thing there was the score keeper had a hard time seeing them also.

13. when men are men! lightning.jpg

jmunsell likes this.
  14. Laserwizard

No lightning for me. I know a guy that had his golf club struck by lightning. Not worth it.

15. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

I have worked on a couple of sites. If you saw lightening you shut it down no questions asked.
    Trap shooting should be the same.

16. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

I am not a fan of shooting in the rain. I can usually find something else to do.

17. Flyersarebest

When the bug first gets you it doesn't matter what the weather is, rain, snow, wind, it never stopped me from signing up.
    After about 15 years or so I kinda hung out in the clubhouse on those kind of days. Helped in the office or kitchen and waited to see if it got any better.
    Flyersarebest

18. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Active Member Founding Member

Im not a big fan of shooting in the rain either, I have got caught in the rain a couple times while shooting. It was miserable and not enjoyable at all.

To get back to the op question is there a written rule concerning this matter? Rick

19. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

The rule is below. If you voluntarily withdraw make sure to finish the sub event, 25 or 50 (in the case of 10 to a post or doubles).
    If you only shoot 1 post you score would be whatever you broke on that post, the last 20 would be scored as lost.

If the shoot is cancelled it is handled differently as explained below.

When a contestant voluntarily withdraws from, or is otherwise disqualified,
    and takes no further part in a sub-event after having fired at 1 or more
    targets of a sub-event and does not fire at all the targets in the sub-event,
    the referee/scorer shall rule all targets not fired upon “LOST” targets
    and they shall be scored and reported accordingly. When the shooter
    is prevented by reasons beyond his/her control from completing a
    sub-event, the scores for that partial sub-event shall not be recorded or
    reported. Example: shooters have shot 61 targets of a 100-target event
    when a storm permanently stops shooting. The management should
    report the scores for the first 50 targets only

20. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

The 3rd Annual Shootout for (Boy) Scouting, held at Miramar/SD Shotgun Sports in 2007, was shot in a driving rain. The wind nearly took the luncheon canopy away. It was bad; cold (50 degrees) all day. Nobody quit. We finished absolutely soaking wet and shivering...even those with "rain gear". Was it fun shooting? No. Did we shoot good scores? No. But my team took First Team Overall. (It was a combo of Trap and Skeet/Doubles) That made it fun....once we were again warm and dry.
    Would I do it again? No.

21. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

That about sums it up for me.

22. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

If a storm does occur, go to your vehicle or the club house, NOT the trap house. This picture is of a trap house at the Indiana State Shoot several years ago. The loader had just left, made it to the shelter and wham! He would b[​IMG]e dead it he had been in the house. The bolt roasted the Pat Trap.

23. Flyersarebest

NOW you tell me!

Flyersarebest