punctured primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by scorpion33, May 2, 2021.

1. scorpion33

scorpion33 Member

Test fired a gun I might purchase. My reloads using Cheddite primers were very close to being punctured. Are punctured primers a problem? How and why? Would shortening the firing pins 1/32 of an inch help?

2. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

I would suggest shortening the firing pin .015 of an inch to start with. Then try it. I've done it myself and it works. A little at a time

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

It is the Cheddite primers, not the firing pin. If you shorten the pins, you will more than likely end up short on the other shells with different primers on occasion.

I understand options are limited right now, but just be aware of what the future may hold. Depending on the gun, changing pins may be more work.

firewater, gailmk67 and Jim/Canton like this.
  4. nicky harwood

nicky harwood Member

my primers win and cci go in to far. the center goes in too far outside sticks out a little. loaded on mec grabber 20 gauge

5. sts1100

sts1100 Active Member

I agree with Stl Flyn, I purchased some Cheddites to shoot in my 1100 this fall and winter, the first 900 shells no pierced primers, the last 100 shells had more than 20 pierced primers. I get 3 to 4 pierced Cheddite primers per 100 with my K80, I stopped shooting them after 200.

I will shoot the Cheddites in my 1100.

6. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

I have used over 40,000 cheddites, in multiple guns. Never had a punctured primer.

7. Santafe

Santafe Member

I agree with mission 622 have shot close to 20,000 reloads with cheddite primers in my K-80 and no punctured primers.

8. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

What gun are you looking at? If it is a browning -no problem $15.00 firing pin, 15-minute job to change, shorten it up - If it is a Caesar Guerini that doesn't sell parts, but have to send it in if it doesn't work, might be a different story.