Problem Using Cheddite Primers with Progressive Loader

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by oldphart, Mar 14, 2023.

1. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

When using cheddite primers in once fired Winchester hulls the primers are hard to press in but go in ok, the problem occurs when pressing out the Cheddite primers to reload again. Using a progressive loader (Spolar) when pressing out the Cheddite primer the bottom of the brass becomes convex (bulged) and the primer hole oblong, when the new primer is being pressed into the primer hole it cannot be pressed into the hull sometimes being pressed sideways into the hull. Has anyone else experienced this if so what is the correction. Thank you, Gord.

2. Roy D

Roy D Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Cheddites go in, and come out, like a dream on my Hornady 366 press with Remington hulls. I can even switch back and forth with W209s and both brands stay in fine. I get a minimum of 13 reloads out of STS and N27 hulls too. I'm not sure I've helped you much, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Cheddite primers made in the last few years so they either don't play nice with Win hulls (which seems very unlikely) or it's an issue with your press.

Good luck,
    Roy

3. Just Trap

Just Trap Well-Known Member

Gord: you might want to check you press. I’ve loaded thousands of Cheddite primers on my Spolar in AAs, Nitros, STS, Gun Clubs, and Gold Medals without any problems. Give Cole a call tomorrow and describe what’s going on. There is also a Facebook group for Spolars. Lots of great info and Cole answers quickly.

4. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

No problem with my Mec 9000 -- and Cheddites are all I have been able to find for the last two years. Winchester AA hulls and STS Remington hulls.

Mike Holland likes this.
  5. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

sounds like a ram adjustment issue.

6. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

I load Cheddites on two different PW progressive loaders. I load 12, 20, 28 and 410 with no issues at all. I load the same hulls several times. You have an adjustment that is not quite right.
    I do have a small issue as Cheddites are just a little taller than W209's. They will pop out of the primer feed occasionally. But if I watch closely I catch the problem before the next station. Good luck you will get it.

7. Lloyd Reed

Lloyd Reed Active Member

No problem with Cheddites in my Dillon, Mecs or Hornady 366. I load all gauges and AAs and Gun Clubs hulls. I doubt that I’ll ever go back to Winchester primers IF they ever become available again.

8. John P Cushman

John P Cushman Active Member

I load on a Spolar and use Cheddites, adjust your primer setting depth. I have Win 209 and prefer the Cheddites.
    If problem persists call Cole they will get you going

9. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

I'm starting to have problems with my Cheddites sticking out too far after they have been pressed in to my Nitro 27s or Nitro Golds. About 1/16th to 1/8th inch. They stick out so far that they lock up my MEC- the bar falls off the back that rotates the wheel. Sometimes they stick out pretty far but by the time they cycle they are pressed down into the hull and are seated OK by the time they drop down the exit tube. This has been happening about once every 15-20 hulls that get reloaded. So what gives? Never had it happen with the Winchester 209s.

10. Geterdun

Geterdun Active Member

I had to move my primer tube down about 1/16th"

Steve Randall likes this.
  11. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

I think I might have found my problem........I noticed that on some of the hulls that I was reloading - not only were the primers sticking out, but the area around primer was protruding out somewhat. So I start checking the bottom of the hulls for that BEFORE I started reloading them. So far I have found no more that were like that and I have not had any primers sticking out either. So maybe that was the problem. I probably picked these hulls up off of the ground after a shoot so, they probably came from someone else's gun. Thanks, Geterdun for your suggestion. I will watch for that also.

12. MysticK80

MysticK80 Active Member

I load thousands of Cheddites in my Spolar. There must be some type of adjustment issue. I'd call Cole and get his opinion.

13. slickshot223

slickshot223 New Member

I have some 28ga gold nitro's that stick on the primer/powder tube !! They have a nipple on the inside that causes the tube to stick! It stands up about the height if a primer! Don't like so don't load them