Premium shells and Cheaper shells

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Clayman, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Clayman

Clayman Well-Known Member

I know the discussion has gone on before about premium vs cheaper shells on different variables like speed, patterns, dependability, etc.

But given the shell shortage, a real question for shooters doing tournaments or money shoots, is if there is much difference in actual performance between AAs and Super Targets for instance.

I know we all say, "if it can get me one more target, it's worth it.

But for me, my practice average with throw away shells is about the same as my tournament average by the end of the year.
    Does anybody else keep track over time in a way that allows you to compare performance beyond just a feeling that premium ammo is better?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Super targets work fine for Singles. Unfortunately, even the premium ammo is having issues with misfires and off sounders. It seems like the ammunition companies are hiring anyone off the streets with a warm body to work. Personally, I trust my reloads more.

Storeman and Clayman like this.
  3. Clayman

Clayman Well-Known Member

Ole, I think you have the best solution right there.

4. bossbasl

bossbasl Mega Poster

Premium vs. cheaper shells? Hell, it would have merit to discuss if ANY shells were available through distributor channels. The distributor in our locale has closed the ammo/component business due manufacturers not shipping product. If clubs and shooters are going to be dependent on ammo sold by Walmart or direct from Win./Federal/Remington the clubs may as well consider other options for the property.

5. Lloyd Reed

Lloyd Reed Active Member

Found some AAs at our local Academy for $12 a box and most of the super targets I’ve seen have been $11 a box. Bought a 10 boxes of Gun Club for $10 a box with free shipping from midway. Cheap shells are bringing more than premium shells did not so long ago.

6. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

In my handicap gun, an Alfermann choked extra full 0.042" fixed, I see a difference at the patterning board between the cheaper shells and the premiums. The cheaper shells have a pattern distribution that is not even. In all of my other guys that are not choked as tight, its not as noticeable. Frustrating actually, but I don't want to mess with the barrel; I was told it was tuned for the premium shells.

For instance, I've patterned the real slow AAs (24g at 980fps) all the way to sporting clays loads (1300fps Nitros) and they all have a very even distribution. The cheaper ones I have to be very selective and definitely put them on the board before using them in that gun.