Practice at Cardinal SCTP National Tournament

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by space gun, Jul 10, 2016.

1. space gun

space gun Active Member

Is there open practice at the the SCTP shoot being held at the Cardinal center this week?

2. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

An earlier thread was posted on the topic. The facility is completely controlled by the SCTP, not the Cardinal Center this week. Their policy is SCTP only around the kids.

3. Barnett

Barnett Member

No trap practice fields available Wednesday thru Saturday. Not even for the competitors. They will have to go to another range 20 miles and make a reservation to shoot and pay $7 / round.

Never been to a major shoot that does not have practice traps.
    We'll see how the rest of the week plays out.

4. Family Guy

Barnett...
    I had not heard that SCTP shooters were not permitted to practice. Any use of the facility during the SCTP shoot is on the SCTP. You can be sure the CC would take the money of anyone if they could.

SCTP sets the rules.

5. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

upload_2016-7-10_22-22-29.png

wpt and Just Joe like this.
  6. Barnett

Barnett Member

Family Guy,

I don't think that it is the competitors are not permitted to practice, it's that there just isn't enough traps with only 54 traps.
    There will be over 2,000 kids trying to shoot 200 targets each over 4 days.
    Some teams opted to shoot their 200 (100 each day) on Wednesday and Thursday and the rest are shooting 100 each day on Friday and Saturday.

As the week goes on, we'll see. A lot of people aren't there yet as some teams only shoot the singles trap and don't shoot the Doubles, Handicap, skeet or sporting clays.

I know parking is already getting pretty tough.

7. Rocketfan

Rocketfan Active Member

Not that many (2000) now. I hear parking is no prob?

8. Family Guy

Dysinger says parking a little congested at sporting clays but it is less congested in the main lot. Similar to the Buckeye.
    Brad said they only used the west trap banks today.

I expect to get there late in the week. Pictures coming.

9. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Black Wing Practice cost is Outragous per 25 bird round, If SCTP shooters read this Avoid Black Wing for Practice

Gary Bryant.....................................Dr.longshot

10. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Active Member Founding Member

Where do you suggest they go?

11. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Since Black Wing is listed as the official practice range I would hope SCTP is at least getting the member rate of $6 per round. There are ways for members to shoot for the same price as Cardinal, $5 per round.

12. Dave

Dave New Member

I believe with the sporting clays course beings used all day. There has been a practice course set up in the field across from the SC entrance for sporting practice. The Cardinal has only one bunker trap at this time and is set the same for everyone to shoot the same targets and no practice on that trap to stop any one from learning the course before competition. And as far as I know 16,Handicap and doubles practice has been open all week. Things have run very smooth from what I have seen great job and thanks to all who made this happen in such a short time. The Cardinal Center has done in a few months something the other facility has not been able to do in over a year and that's guarantee a shoot is going to happen. Thanks Again

13. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Actually, the folks at Cardinal Center have done in a year what other facility's has not been able to do in 11 (plus) years , that is guarantee a shoot is going to happen ... The caliber of people and levels of Integrity make the difference ... Some people make things happen, other's watch them make things happen, and then there are those who wonder "What the hell happened" (Politics 101) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Dave and Rob Taylor like this.
  14. Barnett

Barnett Member

Up until last fall with the Illinois budget issues , the WSRC had no problem hosting a shoot.

15. Family Guy

Now that is funny Barnett. The WSRC took a shoot that once had 5,000 in an event down to around 1,600. Attendance is lower now than before the Korean War.

They just tried an internationally named shoot, U.S. Open, and it was as big as a meat shoot in PA. They cancelled the first date this year FAIL. And then found another date to embarrass themselves.

The problem is that they have been hosting a shoot.

I am sure the SCTP can see the difference.