Pete Rose to HOF

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by Trapper56, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Trapper56

Trapper56 Member

I was listening to several talking heads on the radio today and several mentioned the possibility of Pete meeting with the commissioner of baseball.

2. Greta

Greta New Member Founding Member

GOOD

He deserves tO be recognized.He was a popular PHILLIE.

Romie likes this.
  3. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

Another case of breaking the rules and still getting recognized as a hero. Truly unfair to the players who played by the rules!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    MODERATOR 1 likes this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

But it would make us feel SO much better about ourselves. We FORGAVE someone for their "bad choices".

HE PETE! We probably would have forgiven you and put you in the hall if...

YOU HADN'T LIED ABOUT IT FOR YEARS!!!!!

Flyersarebest

5. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

No one played the game the way it was meant to be played more than Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose. Baseball forgives players for almost anything. Drugs, booze, cheating, womanizing etc. There are plenty of HOF ers with those characteristics.

Nobody is in the HOF that bet on baseball.

6. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

fredoniarob likes this.
  7. Smithy

Jealousy on the part of owners. They understand that if you are working for bookies you are not working for them. Thus it is not forgivable.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  8. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The United States has a CIC sitting in the white house that cannot open his mouth unless its to lie or mislead someone about something, his lacking has caused the death of many (Think Bengazi) that we know of and probably many, many more ... He has not been held to the rules of the Constitution and yet today has not been charged with the treasonous acts against the people of the United States, even collected a Nobel Prize for doing nothing ... If Obama would do his job 1/10 th as well as Pete Rose did the United States of America would be a better place and not what he is turning it into today ... If Obama can sit in the white house, Pete Rose should be inducted into the Hall Of Fame because nothing he did could even mildly compare to what Obama is and has done, not to mention him not being done with us yet ... Flame on all you care to, If the CIC don't play by the rules why should anyone else be held accountable for not doing so ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Smithy

wpt you have great quotes and thought provoking.

1. Pete isn't running for election. And I agree that he deserves to be called Charlie Hustle.

2. The money question is.......would Pete Rose have whined if we told him to shoot at 3 hole targets?

10. BigBearState1

BigBearState1 Member

And McGuire, Bonds and the roid gang. Let them in? One hole shooters for sure.

11. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

How quickly we get off course

12. Flljutic

Flljutic Active Member

there are convicted murderers that have finished there time in prison since pete was banned. Is what he did worse than murder? Methinks 26 years should be enough.

13. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Do you think the BB HOF owns their own property?

We can let Pete in.

14. buck3200

buck3200 Member

I don't see how you can just pretend he didn't do the things he did.....that's a lie of omission. IMO he should be on first ballot after his passing. And should be told so.

15. Storm

Storm Active Member Founding Member

I am sure he will get in.
    I am sure he should never be allowed in , this is what our society has become.
    I don't have much use for any professional athlete.

Shoot often

16. dolbyconnor

dolbyconnor Member

Bonds, A-Rod, etc were all juicing and the records they hold will forever be tainted, yet their names will remain in the record books and they will still get in the HOA. Pete Rose's on-field efforts were drug-free and yet he'll remain unrecognized that's a travesty. Don't get me wrong, betting in baseball is wrong, but I think the steroids scandals were far worse and either all of them should be locked out or Rose should be let in.

17. Trap 2

Trap 2 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Getting into the HOF is based on accomplishments made while playing the game. It's to recognize the best of the best for what they did as players on the field, nothing more. Personalities be damned. If any ball player does what Pete Rose did, he should surely be inducted. Because he bet on the game, did that make him any less a of a great ball player? I guess Babe Ruth was the poster boy for baseball in his day and never did anything that would jeopardize his induction, right? Principles before personalities, ya know?

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  18. Wishbone

Wishbone Mega Poster

I wouldn't vote for Pete Rose. But to be honest I gave up on baseball a while ago. Strikes and scandals etc.

I 'm sure the bleeding hearts will find a way to get him in, it's the world we live in.

19. BPskeeter

BPskeeter Active Member Founding Member

I have mixed feelings on this...
    Yes, we can all agree that Pete Rose was an absolute jerk, who knew that he was doing wrong, and continued to do it anyway.
    However, this occurred AFTER his playing days, while he was the manager - which he wasn't really good at, and would never be thought of as HOF material.
    How do you honor the accomplishments of the player - which he has definitely earned - and not the man?

20. DustedAnother

DustedAnother Member

BPskeeter
    He was a manager / player at the time.

21. BPskeeter

BPskeeter Active Member Founding Member

No, he only did the manager/player his first year. By this time he had stopped playing

22. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

There are many players who have been put in the HOF who have done things that are far worse than what Pete Rose did, betting is against the rules and so are roids ... There are many records recoreded that may not of been if not for the steroids, so it not only effects the players of old but the new players also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

23. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

When I read this thread title I thought Pete Rose was looking for Punkin Flock, she's in a HOF that doesn't exist anyplace but a U-store-it, and Pete isn't in one that does. But after seeing what baseball did with Chase Utley's slide in the playoffs baseball may be headed the same way as trap shooting.

This year the major leagues outlawed knocking over the catcher and a catcher blocking the plate, What in the Hell is going on. Professional baseball has been around longer than trap shooting and now there in the process of political correct BS in it. I was a catcher, I got knocked down, I got to knock down runners too, it was a fair trade off. Now the talking heads baseball writers want a rule. I'll give you a rule, don't turn your back on a guy trying to bust up a double play or you'll get knocked on your ass.

I remember Pete Rose wiping out Ray Fosse in the All Star game with a head first slide at home. That's baseball. Pete's better off being known as the major league all time hits leader. That's an accomplishment. The HOF is an opinion of Baseball Writers. Brad

24. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

What about the trap shooting hall of fame? The head of the snafu, of the building is in the trap shooting hall of fame is he not? I hope they relist all of his accomplishment and amend the induction records. His cohorts will be the next to be inducted. I vote for a new place of recognition, lets call it the Hall Of Shame. It will be a cheaper building to construct. It will only be about 4 or 5 feet square with only one seat. We will have to put a 1/4 moon opening in the front door. Looking for donations. Roger C.

Flyersarebest and wpt like this.
  25. Flljutic

Flljutic Active Member

Pete's a jerk, no doubt about it. But you can't ignore what he accomplished between the lines. Put him in NOW.