PA Grand - What happened?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Levi, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Levi

Levi Member

All events but one were down at the PA Grand. Insights please.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

The trend has been down for years and will continue. Trinket shooting replaced cash prizes and expensive trinkets get stale fast. PA shooters care little about All-American points since they're not going to the IL mini grand anyway. We've already lost 30% of the shooters in the premier State Shoot event (Singles Championship) in ten years. The old timers have died off, quit or simply attending local meat, money league and practice shoots. The youngsters shoot while daddy pays and disappear forever when he stops. Enjoy what you have left and the memories of what it once was!

3. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

oleolliedawg only 1021 out of the 31815 ATA shooters qualified for ATA all american teams. That is 3 per cent. The State Shoots' are now forced by the ATA to write their programs for that 3% and the 97% be damned. You are so right in your explanation. Brad

Tonya Bluhm and wpt like this.
  4. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Brad,
    Your post made me wonder how many were named to the All American team this year. I counted 260 on the ATA All American Team list for the year 2017. I wonder how many were on the All American Teams when there was 50K - 60K shooters registering targets?

wpt and robb like this.
  5. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

This is what you call a DEATH SPIRAL.
    upload_2017-7-3_16-45-28.png

The funny thing is that the ATA may be marketing to only 3% ............but 0% of the delegates understand this or care.

APATHY !

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  6. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Don you remember me showing you my old T&F mags that are hard bound. The year 1980 has the stats for the 1979 shooting season. STaT mAn STaN needs to pay attention here.

For the year shooters shot 75,962,135 targets. I don't know that exact # of shooters but around 80,000 to 100,000 ATA members then.

1980 All American Teams

Men First team 7
    Men Second team 8
    Women First team 6
    Women Second team 9
    Jr First Team 7
    Jr Second team 8
    SJ One TEAM 7
    Vet One Team 5
    SrVet One Team 4
    Industry 6 So there were 67 total All Americans for the whole ATA. Today there are 50 women All
    All Americans for 1337 women shooters 1&2 and only 98 women qualified. Brad

jhunts and Don Cogan like this.
  7. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Brad,
    Thanks for looking up the numbers for us. I knew there would be a big difference but I didn't know it would be as drastic as this. 80,000+ shooters and 67 All Americans vs. 31,000+ shooters with 260 All Americans. I have a great deal of respect for those that dedicate the time, money and have the skill required to make the All American team. The numbers do highlight just how hard it must have been to make the AA team "back in the day"!

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  8. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

If my memory is correct back then you had to shoot the all around in 4 different states and now you only need to shoot in 3 different states to qualify for the all american teams.

Dave Berlet

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Sure, and one lady All-American was classified "D" class Singles at the Southern Grand two years ago!

10. DEDPAIR

DEDPAIR Well-Known Member

Not withstanding the opinions above, the main reason was we fell on top of the Virginia State Shoot this year. Most years they're the first week in July, but with the Holiday falling on a Tuesday, they chose to end the shoot the Weekend before.

Jeff Graupp