Oooops Where's The Stakes?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by davidson, Jun 6, 2016.

1. davidson

davidson Active Member

I noticed many 50 yard stakes were missing from the CC fields.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

As are fields in many other places. They are meaningless unless the terrain is completely level!

3. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

Radar guns?

4. James344

James344 Well-Known Member

They were using the T-bar to set the height and a radar gun to set the speed. The targets at the CC were fine last week. The headwinds and tailwinds were affecting them, but that is to be expected.

5. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I never saw the T-bar used on any Traps on the West End after Change from Doubles to Hdcp on Sunday.

GB.....................................DLS

6. James344

During the changeover, I watched some of the crew do it on the traps at bank 5 while my son shot his practice round. Not sure why you didn't see it. Plus I asked Austin and he specifically told me they were using the T-bar and radar guns. I saw some of the setters driving around with the bars in their respective carts. Even saw setters measuring speed with a gun during shooting just to make sure.

No reason not to believe they were using them.

Columbus likes this.
  7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

James 44 I was sitting on the porch in front of Sportsmans Den, and the traps just east of there by one complete Bank and West of there not a single T-Bar was used, only a Radar Gun

Gary Bryant...........................Dr.longshot

8. James344

Don't know what to tell you Gary. I just know what I saw and I saw them being used.

9. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Luke told me on the phone yesterday that this year the CC will be using a Radar gun and a T Bar to set targets. Brad

James344 likes this.
  10. mah66

mah66 Active Member Founding Member

Just shoot'em where they go!

I'll never understand this anal obsession with "you have to throw them where I'm gonna shoot and they better not be too fast" whimpering.

Family Guy likes this.
  11. robb

robb Well-Known Member

I wish they would add spring so the slightest breeze doesn't move the target.

Family Guy likes this.
  12. oleolliedawg

So if the "slightest breeze" stops the targets go beyond 51 yds. and are then illegal!

wpt and Family Guy like this.
  13. robb

robb Well-Known Member

Its not about being legal. Just my own thoughts on the target presentation.

Family Guy likes this.
  14. oleolliedawg

Unfortunately, you must learn a bit more on setting target speed. It is absolutely impossible to properly adjust a trap for distance with the wind blowing. I've never known wind to blow at a constant speed and I doubt you have either. I also doubt you'd be willing volunteer to adjust traps numerous times throughout the day to accommodate the wind nor should you expect others to do it either. That's why we use a radar gun and it works. Putting more spring on the trap simply means the target will be illegal and outside the required parameters when the wind stops. Think about it!

wpt and Family Guy like this.
  15. robb

robb Well-Known Member

I hope some day I can grow up and be as smart as you.

16. oleolliedawg

Not trying to be a wise guy or suggesting the need to grow up just imparting a bit of knowledge to anyone who never set targets. You set distances and elevations over level terrain to the stake with a T bar in calm air and threaten anyone with physical harm if they touch the spring again. Elevations are then adjusted for prevailing conditions.

When terrain is less than level all bets are off and the radar gun is your best friend!

17. James344

The hard part about adjusting elevations for prevailing conditions is that there are times when those prevailing conditions are not sustained, such as this past week at the CC. The wind would gust from the north for a few minutes making targets really soar. Then the gusts would die down and the targets would go back down.

Then on another day the wind would come out of the south forcing the targets down. But it would not stay that way for long either. It is a crap shoot sometimes. The setters were using a gun and T-bar last week. I watched them do it. After that the wind took over.

18. targetbreaker

targetbreaker if it goirs bang I probley shot it.

I was told that the 50 yard mark is where the mower stops, at the edge of the 2 fields, this way they do not have to mow around the stake. do north! the mark is the grass at the edge.

19. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Active Member Founding Member

I believe the rules state the targets are set in still air and are only required to be reset after a machine repair or replacement. So depending on the day and the breeze, you may have higher, lower, longer or shorter targets. I know I have seen squads ask for targets to be re-set, but I think the rules don't really allow for it. Cardinal throws some fine targets, I would bet money on the fact that they use a t-bar.

20. oleolliedawg

Higher or lower resets are fine and allowed. Longer or shorter is beyond the realm of capabilities!

Larry likes this.
  21. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Active Member Founding Member

Maybe it was in the older rule book, as I cannot find it in the current book. The rules said somewhere about the re-setting of targets after the initial setting. Like everything, it is an evolutionary process, therfore it is always changing.

22. oleolliedawg

The old rulebooks state that if targets vary appreciably from one trap to the next and may affect scoring the shooter may request a reset at anytime. Shoot management makes the final judgement for resets. (1985 rulebook) I can go back much further if someone asks.

That said, this was before the introduction of the radar gun to set distances. Few clubs in PA have perfectly level terrain making stakes quite useless. Changing elevations is certainly an ongoing process when weather conditions vary!