On A Positive Note !

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by HistoryBuff, Mar 3, 2016.

1. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

The National Shooting Sports Foundation continues to introduce more people to our shooting sports.

This Past NSSF-Scholastic Clay Target Program State Director thanks everyone in your organization for all they do.

[​IMG]
    National Shooting Sports Foundation | NSSF

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  2. ltsc1

ltsc1 Active Member

Greatest thing that could happen to our sport. New blood and new ideas.

3. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I think, if the ATA would go to 7/8oz 1200fps load max, at least for singles, the amount of women that play the game (social event) of amateur trap would explode. You would also have women champions abound and possibly no need for a woman's category.

4. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

I agree but not everyone does. Back about 2005 or 2006 I was very proud to see 60 young SCTP shooters take the line in the first 2 flights at our State Shoot. This was something special in my anti-gun state of New Jersey and all happened due to the commitment of our SCTP coaches and weekly practices.

However, I still recall the comments from some of our older shooters about the kids being in the way and the often-stated comment about how young kids leave the sport when they get their driver's license, go off to college and become aware of the opposite sex. That only a fraction of these young shooters return to the sport a decade or two later. I got so mad I reminded these shooters that the kids shot in the first 2 flights, the flights that no regular shooters wanted because they wanted the sun out first, the early squads that they would not sign up in even when the State Association offered a drawing for cases of shells to be drawn for those in the early squads.

I often remind those who do not realize the value of our young shooters the following :

1. You are looking in the wrong direction!
    2. You cannot control who leaves the sport whether young or old.
    3. Turn around and look in the direction of working to bring in young as well as new shooters. A feeder program like midget football or soccer. If we are willing to work at it we can increase the numbers entering the shooting sports which means an increase in the number who return in the future.
    4. If we subscribe to #3, we just taught our youth and their families that there is nothing wrong with firearms ownership. The kids and sometimes the parents start shooting, join gun clubs, join the NRA, join the ATA, introduce friends to shooting. This is the best way to insure that right to own and bear arms is preserved as guaranteed by the 2nd amendment.

5. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

That is encouraging for clay target shooting , might have to contact their PR people ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  6. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

There is no reason anyone can't shoot that load now. I shoot with one gentleman who shoots 7/8 oz and literally smokes the birds at 16 yds.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  7. PumpgunBob

PumpgunBob Well-Known Member

WPT,
    Please, do not, I'm begging you, contact the SCTP. They know what they are doing. Unlike the ATA/ AIM, they ARE all about the kids. They participate in Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays and also the Scholastic Action Pistol Program.
    The numbers of athletes in the programs grows exponentially each year.

dr.longshot, wpt and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  8. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Wrong argument, but your free to make it.

9. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

The game would be cheaper to play. The handicap system would correct itself.

10. duffkjs06

duffkjs06 Mega Poster

My idea is, pay for your shells at the window, walk up to the line with your gun, pick up your shells. Everyone shoots the same. How awesome would that be?

"Nope, I got to shoot my own."

11. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Part of that is good but it does not address the issue mentioned by jhunts. Recoil is reduced with lighter loads increasing the interest in shooting for lighter people and shooting longer. Lighter loads also reduces cost. Lighter loads also reduce scores. As hunts said:
    Reducing another category would make it easier for a gun club to make a profit.

12. duffkjs06

duffkjs06 Mega Poster

Just pick a load for all.

13. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

It has to be lighter. Simply picking a load would have a negative effect. You could pick 1 1/4. Ouch.

14. duffkjs06

duffkjs06 Mega Poster

How about 7/8, the top shooters, will still be the top shooters.

15. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

The top shooters will always be the top shooters from the 16. Try breaking 25 straight from the 27 with 1 ounce. Tough!
    Try it with 7/8 from the 27. Next to impossible without perfect conditions.

16. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I was shooting handicap and ran the first 50 from the 27, the targets seemed to almost be breaking them self and a lot of puff balls ...Went to the truck to get the shells for the second 50 and realized they were 1 oz /8's , Nitro 27's ... Got concerned thinking about it, dropped 3 of the first 5 targets and the very last target for a 96 ... I have shot good scores from the 27 with 1 oz shells but do not want to give up anything to those shooting 1 1/8 oz, but then again, am I really ..? I think the law of averages would probably come into play at sometime and it can cost you or maybe not ... I seem to be a little undecided but don't check out the shell boxes when I am getting more shells to finish the round ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member Founding Member

Some one quoted Big Leos answer when asked why he chose to shoot 1 1/8oz loads..He answered, "They won't let me shoot 1 1/4 oz!

wpt likes this.
  18. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Leo was asked what size shot he preferred 7 1/2s or 8s, his reply was 6s if they would let me.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant ....................................Dr.longshot