OK Courts say Pot Heads have gun rights too! ATA rules in question? Weed is OK in OK!

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Wally Worker, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Wally Worker

Wally Worker Member US Navy Retired

It is in the news. If you smoke pot you cannot be banned from owning firearms. Even addicts! That is the ruling of a court in Oklahoma.

Someone is going to smell like skunk weed on the line. Then what?

2. Jack O'Matic

Jack O'Matic Active Member

Then, hide your Cheetos.

3. LCH

LCH Mega Poster Forum Leader

I've never once smoke the Satan's Lettuce and thought "man I'd like to shoot someone".

Maybe "man I'd like to hug someone".

4. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

From the ATA’s book of suggestions;

“2. It is the responsibility and the required duty of Shoot Management to immediately remove and disqualify any contestant at any time during an ATA sanctioned tournament:
    a. who is under the obvious influence of alcohol or drugs before
    starting or during any event, sub-event, shoot-off or practice, or who consumes any alcoholic beverage or drugs during participation in any event, sub event or between events or sub events held on the same day including shoot-offs and practice. For purposes of this rule, “drugs” shall mean any illegal, or recreational drug, and shall also mean any prescription medication if that prescription medication affects the judgement or conduct of the contestant to a degree that renders the contestant incapable of safely participating in the sport of trapshooting, whether during a registered event and/or tournament or practice;”

5. Warren61

Warren61 Active Member

If he smells like pot, is he under the influence?

6. Michael J

Michael J Active Member

I have met quite a few trapshooters that had beer on their breath

7. Trap007

Trap007 Member

What happens if the scorer asks who has the smoking gun?

8. Rich N

Rich N Member

Here's another interesting court decision from the 5th circuit which ruled people under felony indictment may purchase firearms.

The 3rd circuit Enbanc panel will hear on 2/15 if non violent felons are permitted to have firearms. If the "new" standard is historic standards, my guess is they'd be able to as these disqualifying laws were passed in 1968.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  9. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

HOLY COW...