Ohio State Shoot target requirement - Handicap?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by 320090T, Jun 29, 2016.

1. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

My program was left in Ohio or I would look it up but was there a handicap target requirement for the 2016 state shoot? Was there penalty yardage assigned? Where would a 23 yarder be bumped to?

2. mkstephen

mkstephen Member Founding Member

3. 1000 target 2 yard min. I had 800 and got 2 yards friends kid had only 300 and got 3 yards.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

My 9 yo got two yds. to the 21. He sat out the handicap events!

5. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

No requirements for the Cardinal Classic. :D

6. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

Please explain why you didn't let your
    9 yo shoot the handicap.

Ron Burdick

7. Family Guy

He was busy shooting me for cigarettes and beer on the practice trap. Truth!

8. oleolliedawg

#1-he's not yet good enough to be handicapped at the 21

#2-PA was smart enough to allow him to shoot at the 19 just for fun which would have been fine with him.

How many 9 yo kids do you know that shoot with any degree of success from the 21.

Most of the so-called grownups aren't shooting much farther back!

9. Family Guy

He is one of the coolest kids you will meet. Owes me a beer. Paybacks this time.

10. oleolliedawg

Wait'll August-you're going down says he!

11. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I thought the targets requirements were waved for Juniors and sub juniors solely based on the lacking of experience ..? If it is not it sure as hell should be to give the kids a break and entice them to shoot and get to the experience ... Some of these rules just don't make any damn sense ... So the kid sat it out rather than shoot, thats promotion for you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

It's a shame that the Ohio State would not let the 9 year old shoot for targets only, would have given him the much needed experience, the kid would have had some fun and the club would have made money on the targets thrown. Some rules that adults make are ridiculous, common sense should prevail.

dr.longshot and wpt like this.
  13. space gun

space gun Active Member

Same thing with my 13 year old grandson. He did try one handicap event, after shooting poorly he chose to just shoot the 16's. I felt bad because I told him he should be able to shoot at his regular yardage if he shot targets only. Cardinal needs to rethink their policy! It was nice that the cardinal and
    Or the osta let the kids shoot at a reduced price.

14. wpt

Some rules are juyst mean't to be broken and or relaxed for the betterment of the sport, over handicapping or giving the kids a reason to not shoot is not the way to do it ... Targets only, and they can't pick your pockets as if they have never been picked before somewhere along the line ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot and rookieshooter like this.
  15. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Cardinal doesn't set that requirement (penalty yardage) as they don't have it at any other shoot. So, it must be OSTA. I think anyone should be able to shoot "targets only".

16. 320090T

320090T Mega Poster Founding Member

I thought I saw "targets" on the scoresheet next to a name, thought it was T/O.

17. wpt

The only thing that would make any sense at all would be to make it easier for the kids to get some experience ... To drive away the future of the sport is just not right by any means ... I hope this was an over sight by someone and its eliminated from future shooters for everyone sake ... "Targets only" eliminates any threat of some kid handing you your lunch and taking all your money, God Bless them and hope they keep coming back ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  18. My friends kid is only 10 and joined the ATA this year at the NE zone shoot they gave him 3 yards to the 22. Shot every handicap event and broke close to the same scores as he did on the 19.

19. oleolliedawg

So my kid broke a 16 yd. score in the low 90's at the FL. State shoot in his first ATA event. He hasn't broken one since nor is he good enough to shoot a decent score from the 21! Young kids tend to have fragile egos and it's hard enough to convince them they can be successful when they're handicapped beyond their ability. Since I see numerous squads consisting of 30-60 yo with a few years experience still shooting from the 21 it's inconceivable a 9yo should be standing with them!

dr.longshot, rookieshooter and wpt like this.
  20. space gun

space gun Active Member

My grandson had shot league at the 23 but when he was told at the State shoot he had to shoot penalty he seem to panic. Remember he hasn't shot more than 3 to 4 hundred rounds and doesn't have the experience or confidence to
    Adjust. Bottom line is stupid rule that needs changed. Targets only no money or trophies, what could it hurt? I hope someone from the OSTA reads this form.

21. wpt

I cannot imagine any of the Elected Officials or Officers of a State Association would not see and consider the logic in letting the kids shoot rather than restrict them with penalty yardage to the point where they are turned away ... Common sense could eliminate the multitude of problem that might arise if they can shoot anything other than targets only ... These kids need to be encouraged not made to feel they are a problem for crying out loud ... If a game becomes more important to me than a kids feelings I will give up the game and move on to something else ... I can see if someone is so intent they don't want to get their A$$ handed to them by some young kid with no experience but really ..? Modification should reign supreme and making adjustments should be utilized when needed ... We are not talking major shoots because most of the younger kids would be ( Maybe not.? ) intimidated just shooting in them let alone let alone not let their nerves get the best of them, like they have all of us ... Some one PLEASE wake up and open the door for these kids, not only in Ohio but all of the shoots ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  22. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

The penalty on class let some fall thu the cracks. If they only wanted to shoot for targets they should have been able to shoot their regular class or yardage. If they wanted to shoot for money and trophies then the penalty should have kicked in.
    Many years ago at the Grand, I went in and played all of the options and targets. Later that day I was paged to come to squading where I was told I could not play the money because I did not have enough targets. OK got money refunded, later i n the week I was told that if I ran a lone 100 in the handicap that I could not win the Grand American. This was changed the next year.
    Another time when getting clasified I was told that I would have to shoot from the 25 yd. line. Because of the target requirement. I said maam are you sure about that. She showed me the program and that is what it said. I told her that I was a 27 yd. shooter, she said utoh. I had to shoot with penalty shooters but on the 27yd. line. A frien had to sign a waver to be able to shoot with me. Some times the cracks are not well thought out and some one gets hurt. Roger C.

wpt and dr.longshot like this.
  23. wpt

Roger,
    Same thing happened to me once, told penalty is 25 and I was on the 27 ... Rules is rules you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

24. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

I was penalized 2 yards. After 300 birds, giving me minimum, I was still required to shoot penalty. Lost revenue for OSTA, and Cardinal.

25. Columbus

Same thing for me last year but I got reclassified after I hit the minimum target requirement.

26. Rosey

Rosey Mega Poster Founding Member

Heck, the winner of the Ohio State Championship Handicap shot a 99 and is listed at the 19 yardline with just at 1000 targets for the year. Did he shoot penalty, or did he get his qualifying targets at the Buckeye or State shoot?

One of the 98's was shot buy someone on the 21.5 that is still listed with only 800 targets. Did he shoot penalty and still shoot a 98?

wpt likes this.
  27. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Rosey,

I looked at the earned yardage report (www.rjstuart.com) for the Ohio Hcp championship and didn't see a shooter listed as shooting a 98 from the 21.5. There is one shooter listed as breaking 98 from the 23.5. I looked on the ATA's website and that shooter is listed at the 21.5 so if we are looking at the same shooter it would appear that he did in fact shoot penalty 23.5 yards and broke a 98! Thats great shooting!

I do not have enough information at my disposal to answer your question about the person that won with a score of 99. It doesn't appear that the targets from the Ohio State shoot have hit the ATA's computer yet, so if the shooter you are referring to is showing 1000 handicap targets then they probably met the requirements to shoot at their current yardage.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some posters on this site point out when a shoot is down in entries. Here we have a shoot that is up in entries and the geniuses on this site are complaining about how the rules prevented entries. Perhaps those 1000's of old Ohio penalty A shooters don't feel as left out as some would like us to believe?

Blaze away boys, I can take it! Oh, and one more thing: the movement to eliminate the option to shoot "targets only" was spearheaded by the same fellow that was President when the "penalty A" thing was changed. I think he did a great job as President of the OSTA. If you feel differently feel free to let him know, he is a regular contributor to this site.

Family Guy likes this.
  28. oleolliedawg

Everyone makes mistakes-even Hillary Clinton!

29. wpt

Don.
    Most of the concerns were about kids, penalty yardage, and them being given the opportunity to shoot or not shoot for targets only, beside other things that did not seem to be consistent with the rules ... Were the kids supposed to be able to shoot or not ..? Targets only or not ..? Easy questions, not difficult to answer if you know for sure ... Thx in advance, WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  30. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

Don,
    Ur entries may have been up, but u might have done better yet. And, the problem might not show until next year's numbers are in.

31. Rosey

Rosey Mega Poster Founding Member

Don, When I got home from the shoot Sunday, the ATA membership search engine still showed him on the 21.5. I assumed his data had not been updated from the Buckeye.

32. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

U cannot get removed from penalty during the shoot. All caps targets shot, none can be utilized for 1000 target review.

33. Family Guy

mom said..."people never throw rocks at the garbage man."

34. Family Guy

Don't make anyone work so hard. Let 'em know who led the "Penalty A" rule change....and targets only.

35. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

Is Don lost in action, or was he a hit & run?

36. Columbus

Yes you can.

37. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

I tried. The answer was no.

38. Roger Coveleskie

You can up to the time that the HOA starts, after that you can not. Roger C.

39. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

That's nice. No mention of this in the program.

40. Roger Coveleskie

I am not sure all clubs do it. It may not be an ATA directive. Roger C.