Moving Speakers

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by oleolliedawg, Jul 18, 2016.

1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Yesterday, one of my favorite lady shooters who just happens to also manage the shooting at one of our local clubs made a comment about my 9yo. son's failure to move speakers when changing positions in Handicap. Something about proper etiquette I failed to encourage was mentioned. Of course, I retorted by saying that from where I shoot from (usually the fence or near it) we usually didn't need to move many speakers and that practice is limited to shooters like herself who are much closer. That sure got her babbling especially after the few, probably too many, beers she consumed.

That said, my son's momma, who knows a little about trapshooting says she never moves speakers and several others agreed saying it makes the event longer as there's always even more speaker shuffling after the fact . Heck, when voice systems were added speaker movement was limited to the moved shooter only. It seems now we have some shooters who decided it's a new unwritten rule that everyone do the speaker shuffle.

Any thoughts on this one?

2. Brian Seibert

Brian Seibert Active Member

I try and move the speakers either up or back for the squad mate to my left as a curious gesture. With that said, I have had persons tell me just leave them alone and they will take care of the placement. The biggest problem is all the targets that get thrown while the squad rotates. I think it does show good sportsmanship.

3. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

This topic ranks up there with dropping empties on the ground.

The sport of Trapshooting has devolved, not evolved. Some people need to put more thought into putting competition back into the sport, and keep "proper etiquette" more of a personal choice.

FWIW .... What I do depends more on if the "scorer" turns them off during a post change. You can waste a bunch of targets if they are not turned off, and the speakers are handled several times each post change.

Tom Machamer, HistoryBuff and wpt like this.
  4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I position the Speakers close to me on the Left side to get Prompt Target release, For a Right Handed Shooter. I do not want the Speaker between my Trapgun and Arm to block my calls.

Yours in Sport
    Gary Bryant......................................Dr.longshot

5. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

But, do you move them for the guy to your left when you rotate?

6. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I would of nicely explained that he is 9 years old, moving the speakers is on the list of things to do when he turns 12, until then "deal with it" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Wildcat Lewis and Tom Machamer like this.
  7. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I like to move my own so I only have to move it once. having the shooter before me move it not only costs targets, but I still need to move it to where I want it anyway.

I always ask the previous shooter to just leave it be, and I will get it on my way to my station.

Picked up once, and set down once.

Tom Machamer likes this.
  8. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I appreciate the courtesy of the person ahead of me moving the speaker, but usually I still move it to just where I like it. With this being said I think that the speakers should be left alone and let the shooter coming to the station move it to wherever they want it. Just my opinion.

Dave Berlet

9. Buzman

Buzman Member

Just started shooting ATA this year. I was told by experienced shooters that have shot ATA for over 20 years to move the speaker for the shooter on my left. Don't make any difference to me, I'll do what ever the person wants.

Smokintom likes this.
  10. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

This topic, although small brings up two thoughts.

The first is the implication is that the ATA is the ruling body of trapshooting. In the larger trapshooting states, or those states that have been the most successful marketing trapshooting, registered shooting is almost an after thought.
    The second is that this is another glaring lack of leadership at the top of the ATA. Take the PGA for example. Compare such courtesies as when to mark your ball in golf? Or who hits the ball first? The common courtesies on the golf course. All these areas are laid out in many forms of media by the golf association.

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/fundamentals/golf-etiquette

You will not find such leadership in the ATA.....unless it involves corrupt land deals or some other personal benefit. jmho

wpt likes this.
  11. Believer

Believer Member

I will not move the speaker upon rotation. I need to get my speaker where I want it and then prepare myself to shoot. The last thing I want to do is have to worry about the other shooter and where he wants his placed. Move it yourself and don't bother me.

12. James344

James344 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I just think it's a courtesy to move the speakers. At the most its only a couple yards difference. Moving the speaker from the 22 to the 20, or from the 23 to the 24, is just a way for shooters to help other shooters. Nobody is suggesting you place it exactly where they want it, but at least to their yard line. Then they can place it where they want it. It's a personal preference. 9 times out of 10 the shooter is going to adjust the speaker when they move to the next post anyway, even if the previous shooter is at the same distance.

Why is this such a big deal?

13. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

What the Buzman said . I always move the speaker for the shooter on my left coming to my station if there yardage is different than mine. So what if it takes an extra 5 seconds.

14. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Only if he is on a different yardage

15. mah66

mah66 Active Member Founding Member

I never move any mic but my own. It's each shooter's responsibility to make sure that they shoot each post from the correct yardage. What better way to assure that they do than to have them move the mic to that yardage themselves?

Family Guy and History Seeker like this.
  16. oleolliedawg

Scorekeeper forgets to turn off speakers between changes. Everyone starts moving speakers then again when making further adjustments not to mention conversation in-between. Meanwhile, multiple targets are thrown that costs the clubs money. Common sense should prevail over some unwritten rule about courtesy. Move the damn things once and save money!

History Seeker likes this.
  17. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Ole dawg.....we have to ask ourselves what would George do?

18. oleolliedawg

That'll be easy-he's call mommy for her advice!

19. mah66

How many times have we all watched as the shooter on post X fumbles with the mic and the cord while they're trying to move the mic for the shooter who is coming from post Y? All the while the fumbling is going on, the shooter from post Y is standing behind them waiting patiently or otherwise for the show to end so they can step onto their next post, move the mic again and prepare to shoot. It looks ridiculous and is anything but a courtesy to anyone except perhaps a chair shooter! How much time gets added to each squad's round if the post changes each take a little longer than they would if each shooter would just change directly to their next post and position their own mic?

History Seeker, wpt and Family Guy like this.
  20. James344

If the person leaving the station has to fumble with the cord, then the person coming onto the station will too. Besides, everybody has to wait for the shooter on 5 to get over to 1 anyway. A speaker and cord can be moved in that amount of time.

Buzman likes this.
  21. Zealot

Zealot Active Member

I'm done moving o/p's speakers.

wpt and Family Guy like this.
  22. mah66

...a completely invalid assumption, but if you want to move my mic, be my guest. If you follow me I'll be courteous and leave the mic right where I used it so you'll have no trouble finding it when you need to move it.

wpt and oleolliedawg like this.
  23. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Active Member

Since there is no standard or rule in existence that I know of. I Just extend courtesy to shooter to my left and whatever they prefer suits me, moved or left as is, there call. However, when moving from post 5 to 1 it makes the trip much faster if you let the shooter moving from 4 to 5 move the thing while your making the trip across to 1.

Most certainly the small youngsters, say 12 or younger shouldn't be expected to move them. They got plenty to think about and carry while moving from station to station safely....

My 2 cents worth.....

WL

24. James344

I don't follow your thinking that its a completely invalid assumption. If I shoot from the 24 yd line and move the microphone from to the 22 or 23 for the next shooter, then I'll need to move the cord with it or leave it. If I leave the cord, then the next shooter will need to move it, unless they're okay with where it's at, which a high majority of shooters are not.

I'm not trying to make you move it. I'm simply stating that it's common courtesy for shooters to move the mic for the oncoming shooter. It doesn't take any more time then it takes for the shooter leaving post 5 to get to post 1 and get set. I've seen it hundreds of times. Plus, most shooters are capable of moving the mics without setting off the trap. I've watched the youth shooters I coach do it plenty of times.

25. Columbus

Columbus Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I move the mic if the oncoming shooter is on a different ydg - I was told when I started that it was common courtesy to do so. But, in reality I've never walked up to a mic the shooter to my right moved and didn't have to pick it up and move it where I wanted it and I see just about every oncoming shooter do the same thing. So, just leave them where they are - and how about the other things? Do I have to turn right of station 5 ( a lot don't) do I have to step forward into the grass, out of the box on the 16 yd line so the shooter moving from 5 to 1 can walk the 16 yd path all the way across?

26. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

If we think about it long enough and hard enough we can make something that is really a nothing a Major problem ... I say we all shoot from where ever the mic was by the person in front of us or to complicate things the person behind us, if there is one ... People , do what ever makes you happy and I will do the same , also move the mic where I want it when its my time to get to that mic ... Lets talk about reloading your gun before its your turn to shoot so you can p off the person behind you if they do not want you to have a loaded gun in your hands while he is shooting and or moving the mic ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Tom Machamer likes this.
  27. mah66

...another invalid assumption, but you seem happy with them.
    Well, that's a good thing.
    From who's point of view? That's what I'm trying to discover! Opening a door for someone whose arms are full of packages...that's a courtesy; the person can't do it themselves. But everyone on that squad will lift and lower an 8-10 lb. gun 100 times in each event and each of them has one hand free when they arrive at their next post so there is no valid reason why any of them should expect ME to move their mic for them. I'm not taking the responsibility for doing their job! OK... end of exchange.

oleolliedawg, Zealot and wpt like this.
  28. XTShooter

XTShooter Active Member

I'm curious. What if you move the mic for the next guy who happens to be at a different yardage than you and since you have done such a great job of moving it to the yardage he has been shooting UNTIL now, shoots from the yardage you put it at and then promptly gets DQ'd for shooting from the wrong yardage, who is at fault? The real answer is................the shooter! Let him move it to wherever he wants and make him responsible for himself, not you!!!! Take this for what it is worth!!

29. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Active Member Founding Member

A good scorer will turn the mics off between moves. If not, then train them to do it. With that mind set there are NO WASTED TARGETS. XTShooter made a good point. Then another way to look at it is have NO SEPARATION IN YARDAGE. Each member of the squad is classed and they ALL shoot from the same yardage. Speakers are set at the proper yardage. But the shooters are still going to move their speaker to their preferred location. Until I'm told different I will leave the speaker where I preferred it. Any shooter following me can help themselves to their yardage and preference.

30. sdg

sdg New Member

I have been reading how great things were before speakers. Now I am confused.

wpt likes this.
  31. Pita78

Pita78 New Member Founding Member

Leave the speakers ... move your own speaker.

Tom Machamer likes this.