Is the US Open an Illinois (ISTA) Sanctioned event or ATA owned event? Or is it IDNR?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by possumskinner, Jun 1, 2021.

1. possumskinner

possumskinner Active Member

Just wondering who owns this and is responsible.

2. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

That's a good question possumskinner.

The original agreement between the IDNR and ATA required the ATA to hold at least 3 tournaments at the WSRC annually.

So, the ATA established the U.S. Open and the Fall Classic, going so far as to copyright the U.S. Open name.

By 2012, the ATA leadership had changed with all new Executive Committee members and a new Executive Director. This caused the ATA leadership to either forget, or not check past policies, or recall several reports in Trap & Field, that the U.S. Open was their tournament. They knew it was copyright protected, they just thought the IDNR owned the copyright.

Top management of the WSRC (Monica Brackman) was instructed by the ATA to submit a request to hold the U.S. Open through the channels, ie. The Illinois State Trapshooting Association, who would have to approve their shoot dates.

The ISTA offered to hold the U.S. Open at Brittany Shooting Park if the WSRC would not or could not manage the shoot.

That's when the fan blade started getting dirty. The ATA accused the ISTA of trying to "steal" the sponsorships when they offered to hold the U.S. Open at Brittany Shooting Park, should the WSRC decline to hold the shoot.

Merlo posted the below years ago. That Merlo sure is in the know!

Who Owns US Open Shoot, pg8.jpg

Flyersarebest, wpt and pump gun guy like this.
  3. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

HB

Does the ISTA get any money / rebate bonus for the targets?

4. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

I don't think so.

I don't think any of the three ATA owned shoots held at the WSRC pay the ATA and State Association fees.

But, I could be wrong.

However, your question should be properly answered by the ATA, ISTA officials or the Illinois Delegate.

Do you think any of them visit this forum?

5. HistoryBuff

According to official ATA minutes, regarding the U.S. Open:

"No Daily Fees Will Be Collected For the Illinois State Association."

This likely includes no rebate to the ISTA.

6. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

HB, I believe we have had the answer to this for a long time.

Good for a laugh anyway ~~~