I had a long Conversation with Daro Handy Yesterday

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by BRAD DYSINGER, Mar 15, 2022.

1. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Yesterday out of the blue I got a phone call from first Daro Handy's son Dean, and then Daro himself. I hadn't talked to Daro for many years, so long ago that I think it was at the last grand in Vandalia. We had a very good long talk about trap shooting and where we were at in our advanced ages. We excanged Phi[ Ross stories, Leo stories, and stories about many other old shooters we knew. Daro told me that someone told him that they had seen me on here saying that I thought he should be in the HOF and thanks for thinking of him.

During the discussion he said that it just didn't mean that much to him anymore and he was probably over qualified. I laughed at that, when I asked him how many 100's from 27 he had he told me 48. Him and I are both sure that the reason he is not in is Bradford's hold over the HOF trustees. Bradford and his cronies (the Martins') are in Daro Handy and his 48 100 straights from the 27 are out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2022
  2. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I first remember meeting Daro at I believe the 1965 Ohio State Shoot. He was a member of the Air Force shooting team and Daro and I had the only 2 100's in one of the singles events and there were no trophies. The trophies were all on the combined scores of 16's and hdcp. At this point in time this fact really doesn't mean anything other than I remember it. With the career that he has had he should be in the HOF. Just my opinion. When I started to read this post I didn't realize that Daro had been passed over and was not in the HOF.

Dave Berlet

3. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

curious....does ata still have military teams? you mentioned he was on the AF team.

4. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Daro deserves to be in the ATA Hall of Fame. I believe he also holds the record of 505 straight
    in Handicap.

5. farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om

farmerfranklyn@yahoo. Om Well-Known Member

Yup Daro Handy a great guy, one of the sports gentleman so easy for any shooter “back then”to just sit down and him ask shootin' questions which he eagerly answered. Yes there was controversy OK I get it. However ( isn't there always a “however”) his trapshooting accomplishments were/are outstanding! My gosh 48 100 straights from the 27 yard line nope nothing there to qualify for HOF! I fully understand it doesn't “mean that much anymore” to him. Having just turned 81 I understand my priorities now are based on blood pressure and cholesterol ratings. My smallish collection of buckles and accomplishments are in a drawer somewhere…if I remember. When I was in the early stages of publishing Shotgun Sports (my daughter Kim now runs it better than I ever did) he rendered ideas, enthusiasm and contributions. Thanks Daro. No HOF (Hosts Only Friends) really! Frank Kodl

6. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Frank it's nice to hear from you again even if it is on this web page. I wouldn't trade the years of ATA shooting around the country that I did for anything. I was lucky to meet some great men and women shooters, to shoot with them, and to call many of them friends. Sure there were a few butt heads, crooks, and cheaters but those got weeded out pretty quick back in the day.

The day that I found out that I was to go into the HOF was a proud one for me, unfortunately what the HOF has become knocks a lot of the shine off of that accomplishment.

I'm going to throw another old timers name out there. David Bopp. Bopp and I hardly saw eye to eye on every issue when he was ATA manager but he did run the ATA when it was AT ITS PEEK, was a pretty fair shot too but for some reason he is out and Bradford is in.

You were around enough to know the BS that went on, that I don't miss at all.

7. Jimwill20

Jimwill20 Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Daro at the Roseburg PITA shoot last weekend April 9th and 10th. What a great representative for trap shooting. I cant believe he is not in the HOF. You should make it into the HOF based on your record not politics. Daro is still able to break 100 straight even at 81. I bought his book and he autographed it for me. I talked to him about a coaching lesson and he is still willing to coach and pass on his vast knowledge of trap shooting. A stand up guy in my book.

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Active Member

Worth mentioning that most of those feats were done with a 1100 remington also..I think he may be the greatest trapshooter ever it is absolutely ridiculous that he is not in the HOF..He is a great ambassador to the sport and a true gentleman it is always a pleasure to shoot with him or even watch him shoot. Jerry

Cooperdisciple and BRAD DYSINGER like this.