Hybrid MEC to Spolar Reloading Process

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by thebigski, Dec 3, 2023.

1. thebigski

thebigski Well-Known Member

Deprime_Reprime_MEC.jpg

On the stripped-down MEC Sizemaster, I deprime, resize, and reprime hulls and build a stash of such hulls. I adjust the MEC collet so these hulls are just retained by the Spolar dies. I do this because:

- Can feel the force to remove the primer

- Can feel and see that the primer is properly seated

- Can minimize to almost zero the force required to insert the hull into the Spolar die. The force to eject the loaded hull from the Spolar is also almost zero

- Have to pay no attention to the entire priming process on the Spolar - hull/wad, hull/wad - that is it

- Don’t have to hear the buzz of the Spolar motor/vibrator system (I might suffer from an exaggerated startle reflex)

Spolar_baffle.jpg

Absent the vibration system, I repurposed an extra baffle I had made for a MEC bottle and installed it into the Spolar powder hopper. I figure with the baffle and the action of the mechanism going up and down, the powder drop uniformity should be great. Draining the powder hopper is easy - I use a long handles artist brush to sweep last bits of powder down the holes of the baffle.

A bit unconventional - but I like this split process.

Cheers,

jk

2. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

If you are going to that much work you should add --Creative Reloading solutions --Primmer punch to your Mec to resize the primmer hole. Well worth the money.

3. thebigski

thebigski Well-Known Member

Since I do one-and-done for my reloading, don’t need the primer hole tweak. I have the CS punch but use the straight pin.

jk