Hornady Apex & Red Dot

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Joe East, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Joe East

Joe East Active Member

I am loading 12 gauge with a Hornady Apex with a setup that should produce 1200 FPS with 1 1/8 oz#9 with AA hulls, & Win 209 primers. The book says I should be at 17 grains of Red Dot for this.

My previous powder bushing was dropping 18.5 grain, so I made a call and ordered the correct one. I cycled the new, smaller busing through a few times and it is still dropping 18.5 grain. I had the next smaller busing, so I put it in and got it down to 18.1.

I have two questions for the group:

1. Has anyone solved a similar issue with multiple powder bushings dropping the same amount of powder; and if so, how did you solve it. I am thinking of just dropping down two sizes from the smallest I have and checking the grain weight then.

2. My crude math tells me that 1grain is roughly equivalent to 400 psi. Having shot the loads at 18.5 grain, they are bearable. Should I be concerned with the higher pressure in the loads I already have loaded at 18.5 gr?

Thanks for any feedback.

SF
    Buzz

2. djcuda

djcuda Active Member

Hello
    Yes you need to measure the inside diameter of your bushings with a dial caliper.The bload data and bushing size are a great stating point.I have use whatever bushing gets you to your desired powder charge. Is the powder you are using have the same lot numbers or different lot numbers. I have had variance in different lot numbers. Hope that this helps.

3. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Bushing are a volume measurement -- loads are a weighted measurement -- That's the reason I have multiple, same number bushings, marked plus and minus.

4. 6820g

6820g Active Member

Put a Liddle fingernail polish on the inside of the bushing to get your desired weight.

Gjmen likes this.
  5. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

Get an adjustable charge bar. Get any drop you want.