Gun Blow up at Ohio State Trapshoot

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Live Oak, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Live Oak

Live Oak Well-Known Member

Anyone have information about the gun that went Kaboom? I hear it was Saturday.

2. Only thing I seen was two ambulances on bank 4 didn't look like one transported anyone but couldn't tell if the other did or not. I was waiting for my squad on bank 3

3. Mitchie17

Mitchie17 New Member

The person was transported with minor injuries.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

What manufacturer?

5. Fargo2

Fargo2 Well-Known Member

Who was the shooter?

boom.jpg

6. ltsc1

ltsc1 Active Member

I heard is was a squib shot in an autoloader and the guy didn't check the barrel before he fired the next shot.

Smokintom and Family Guy like this.
  7. Live Oak

Live Oak Well-Known Member

What is the rule on that? Do you get to make that up on the practice trap after bandages are put on? Do you have to use the same gun?

If a squad member yells I saw a piece....do you assume it was a piece of the target? The piece could be a tooth.

Is there a mechanism that forces management to check the shells.

Is this a failure to fire?

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  8. thunderdog

thunderdog Member

It is not voluntary. FF1

9. JW_ohio

JW_ohio Member Founding Member

Normally I don't post on these threads, however when I saw miss information that implied this shooter was at fault I felt obligated to set the record straight. I was on the squad in question. It was the 2nd to last post on the 3rd trap of the 2nd hundred of Saturdays singles event. The shooter was a sub junior shooter (I will refrain from posting his name as he is a minor and this is a public forum). He was shooting a Browning Maxus. This young man was shooting new, name brand ammo purchased from a box box store. Being vague to avoid getting a nasty gram from their corporate attorneys. His shot prior was not a "squib" shot and it did not give anyone on the squad any indication the need to stop and check for a barrel obstruction. Otherwise myself or one of the other experienced squad mates would have made sure he checked the barrel prior to shooting his next round. He experienced injuries to his right arm. it appeared that he had a few pieces of shot embedded in his arm. His brother shooting on the post to the shooters right was hit in the back, fortunately nothing penetrated the skin. Hopefully this young man is okay and someone in his inner circle can let everyone know how he is doing.

Buzman and Basfshmn like this.
  10. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I hope they saved the "empties" from that round. It would be great if they could see if the base of a shell came loose and caused this, or if it was a firearm failure.

Best wishes to the young man .... I hope the only permanent damage is a bad memory, and a heck of a future "story".

11. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Has there been 12ga shotguns using 12ga 1oz or less loads, "blow up."

What shell weight was the shooter using?

12. JW_ohio

JW_ohio Member Founding Member

1 1/8 oz.
    Out of respect for the family as well as the potential for this to turn into a legal matter, this will be my last post on the subject matter.

Buzman, Basfshmn, wpt and 2 others like this.
  13. ltsc1

ltsc1 Active Member

thanks for setting me straight. You know how rumors start and spread.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Interesting question by jhunts. Has there ever been a blow up of a 12 ga gun using 1 ounce loads? We know there have been many using 1 1/8 and larger.

15. jhunts

jhunts Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Thanks JW. I wonder if this incident could bring in 1oz loads to the game as max weight.

It should be anyway, but if it is safer to limit weight to 1oz and as it appears as many say, 1145fps 8's is all the energy that is needed. If anything else, 1oz 1180fps 2 3/4dr shell would appear to be a safer way to guard against a "blow up" and with enough energy and pattern density to get the job done.

Just Joe and exit140 like this.
  16. It looked like the barrel and gas system were still fairly intact. The way the receiver looked it reminded me of an out of battery discharge.