Garmin Xero S1 thoughts…is my experience normal?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by DocDobs, Jun 6, 2023.

1. DocDobs

DocDobs Member

I recently bought a Garmin Xero S1 trainer in certified refurbished condition for $550 from an authorized Garmin dealer. I just had my first outing with this interesting piece of tech and I have some concerns that I want to voice and see if these are the norm, or I just got a bad unit.
    First, some background info…I was shooting at one of the NJ WMA trap ranges using my Do-All Fowl Play thrower mounted on the Do-All wobbler kit with the wireless remote option. According to the Xero S1 instruction manual, this is Upland mode and I placed the camera/sensor exactly where indicated and went through the test throw/calibration procedure successfully. I was shooting my Beretta A400 Xcel and mostly Remington Field and Clay shells. I should note that we were using the wobbler kit and there were a few other shooters on the range, so there may have been some background noise.
    After setting up the device exactly as indicated in the manual, I attempted to shoot my first round. I immediately noticed a few issues:
    1) the Xero S1 only sensed about 50-60% of the shots I took.
    2) the Xero S1 was often unable to ascertain my reaction time
    3) the “break characteristics” reported didn’t always match reality, i.e. I literally vaporized one of the clays and the Xero S1 reported it as a “wound” or chip shot.
    4) when the shot did register, the “processing” time between getting a ready status for the next shot seemed excessively long (2-3 seconds)
    5) the Bluetooth would not pair with my previously-connected iPad in the absence of WiFi

Based on the collective wisdom of the members of this forum, I am wondering whether these “deficiencies” are common to this technology, or did I just get a bad unit? As a quantitative scientist, I LOVE the data stream that this device offers but the issues that I outlined above are a show-stopper for me. If I were to not use the wobbler feature, would the results improve? If there weren’t so much background noise, would th reaction time be more sensitive? Do you think that a new unit would alleviate the issues with the Garmin “certified refurbished” unit that I received?
    I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts, as I decide whether to purchase a brand new unit.
    Thanks in advance!

2. dfwip9x

dfwip9x Well-Known Member

Pretty much mirrors my recent experience, although I purchased (and returned) a new unit. Where I shoot there are trees is the (far) background. ANY wind or tree movement would cause a "no read". When I did get a read, it was not accurate. I think it's a great concept that needs more development.
    Paul

3. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

I'm pleased with the data Ive generated with mine, for both myself and numerous shooters in our club. I haven't tried to use it much past locking the trap on a straightaway from post #3 to learn where the shooter is pointing his gun. One thing became clear, and that it's not much good for anything but determining how high your gun is shooting, reaction time and shell speed. We made the mistake of trying to adjust the comb right to left, which becomes a frustrating exercise, and a waste of time and ammo. Bottom line, is the Zero X1 a useful tool? I believe it is, and would I buy it again: yes.