Father and Son Hunts

Discussion in 'Hunters' Talk & Fish Tales -' started by HistoryBuff, Jun 12, 2021.

1. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Here is a young man hunting groundhogs is Pennsylvania circa 1960 with his father. The .22-250 woodchuck dispatcher.

GROUNDHOG HUNT 1.jpg

GROUNDHOG HUNT 2.jpg

GROUNDHOG HUNT 3.jpg

2. Rob Greenside

Rob Greenside Mega Poster

Really cool. Unertl scopes, wow, we've come a long ways with scopes/rifles and everything else. Thats a big 'ol "beast". Thanks for sharing.

History Seeker and HistoryBuff like this.
  3. Danny will

Danny will Member

Your boy looks cool and brave, Thanks for sharing :)
    :):)

4. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Actually, that boy with the rifle is me about 60 some years ago. My dad with the binoculars passed in 2002. I hunted with him and walked fields looking for arrow heads. Sure miss those times.

Thanks for taking time to look at the pictures.

HB

5. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

It looks like a "custom rifle" on a Springfield action. Redfield in the first picture and Ultra-Varmint on the second.

Nice that you have the pictures HB. Thanks for posting.

I can hear my dad now and he passed away in 1988 at 68 years young. I was around 7 when he let me carry the single shot .22 around when we went squirrel hunting.

Breath, nice and easy now, Breath, now breath out and hold it. Now slowly squeeeeeeez the trigger.

NICE SHOT PAL, YOU GOT HIM

Man oh man, what I wouldn't give to hear him say that just one more time.

Thanks Again HB.

6. Vhntr1

Vhntr1 Member

Great pics ,i lost my dad 4 years ago,life goes by in a hurry miss all the good times we had together.

7. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I just had a hankering that was YOU HB !!!

Thanks for your memories, I never had a Dad who enjoyed the outdoors and was deathly afraid of guns after almost being shot when he was 14 years old.

Thankfully, I had MANY men who took me hunting, and Dad learned how to LOVE wild game dinners. LOL

Flyersarebest and HistoryBuff like this.
  8. History Seeker

This reminds me of History Buff's, Brad D.'s, Dave B.'s, and my friend's Daddy's old saying:

But more than anything else, Herb Parsons was a hunter. He is credited with originating the popular, “Go hunting with your boy today and you won’t have to hunt for him tomorrow,”

Good words ~

BRAD DYSINGER and HistoryBuff like this.
  9. backfencer

backfencer Active Member

Really neat pics, thanks for sharing!

This time last year, I was on "the hunt" for a Sako Forester (l579 action) factory chambered in Remington .244. This Albatros of a cartridge/barrel twist was only offered for 3 years in the Forester (about 450 manufactured) until it was dropped from the Sako line. Anyhow, I ended up tracking down one in Maryland that was in great condition with a Bushnell 10X Scope-Chief as well. It was owned by a very fine gentleman who purchased it new in 1959 when he was 18yo, and all he shot with it were woodchucks on the family farm in Pennsylvania. The first picture reminds me of that gun.

Also, he turned out to be quite the trap shooter in the past, having been friends with Dan Orlich and several other long-time shooters (going on hunting/fishing trips in the past even supposedly). I'm a NW shooter, so many of the names he mentioned I didn't recognize as he's from the NE. He was a heck of a gentleman and still very spry, as he mentioned he would take a couple of grandsons and a son-in-law "west" to Wyoming or Montana deer/antelope hunting every other year. He also ran his mini-storage business every day in Maryland (and he knew what that Sako was worth too! lol). Just thought I'd share that story about Mr. Stone and his rifle.

10. greenman006

greenman006 Active Member

Nice hunt. Congrats to both father an son.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2021
    HistoryBuff likes this.
  11. TFagin

TFagin Member

Always a good time hunting with dad. TAKE A KID HUNTING!! Makes memories for life.

12. greenman006

greenman006 Active Member

Take a look how that young man leans on the car while marking his target...He is a natural.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2021
  13. Franco S. Cruz

Franco S. Cruz New Member

That gun has to be one of the most iconic rifles of all times just about everybody has great memories with their dad or special someone and stories with them long live this great american rifle.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
    BRAD DYSINGER and HistoryBuff like this.
  14. History Seeker

Hey HB,

I need to ask this.

Do you still have that rifle ?

I bought my Mossberg .22 when I was 14 years old, and still have that, along with my first shotgun in my collection today.

Those pictures belong in a museum, beautiful !!!

15. HistoryBuff

All I can recall is that it was a 22-250. I don't even recall the manufacturer or model. He reloaded all his own ammunition and we dispatched many woodchucks over the years, to the delight of the farmers.

My father started his own gun shop and sold guns and ammo from our home. I think he eventually sold that rifle as well as several others. He also reloaded for the local hunters. Then came the 1968 gun control act that eventually closed the doors. Dad passed in 2002.

Within the last ten years I got a call out of the blue from a fellow who traded his Winchester .22 auto to my dad for another rifle when he was a kid. He asked if our family might still have it in our possession. He described it to me and when I checked, I still had it, but Dad had put a scope on it. He asked if he could buy it back.

I told him that Dad would have wanted him to have it back so he could either have it for free or if he had the ability to purchase it, just send a check to my mother for what he thought the value was or whatever he could afford. He hadn't seen his .22 in over 50 years and was elated to have it back.

Dad was pretty tough on me, but still took me to gun shows, shooting and walking the fields for arrow heads. I'm a better man today because of him.

I do have the Winchester Model 67A single shot .22 he gave me for my 7th birthday.

rrisum likes this.