ever pick up the wrong gun?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by bobski, Sep 6, 2021.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

it use to happen a lot when 1100's were on the line. so much so, guys would use embossing tape and put their name on the stocks because guns looked so much the same.

so....have you ever grabbed the wrong gun?

or even....shoot the wrong gun?

or..... go home with the wrong gun?

2. Max Trap

Max Trap Well-Known Member Founding Member

I’ve left my gun at the range only to get halfway home and have a mini freak out.

3. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

I helped run the shoots at phoenix when we held the Spring Grand, Every day after the shooting was finished I would make a run down the entire shooting line.
    many times I came back with a gun or two. Shooter would leave on their last field. We would put them in the vault room. They would come looking for them the next morning. Roger C,

wpt likes this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Never picked up and shot someone else’s gun but there have been a few times when I looked at mine while I was shooting it and thought I must have.

5. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Grabbed the wrong one Friday. But didn't get very far, not even a step, before the real owner asked me where I was going.

Jim Flynn and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  6. Dick_Erter

Dick_Erter Active Member

I watched a guy shoot the first post with my gun. When it came time to move, I walked out with his and said "hey, why don't we trade guns."

7. JJ_JJ

JJ_JJ Member

Yup been there done that, rather embarrassing too especially when the real owner is standing next to you as you start to walk off with his shotgun.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  8. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I had been shooting trap about a month and went to the Fort Wayne, Indiana Winchester Club on a freezing Feb night to practice. I was using my dad's model 12. I wanted to shoot one last round and everyone else had left so I picked up the one model 12 in the rack and proceeded to shoot about an 18 and was very jumpy. I chalked it up to freezing my butt off and just being in a 2 man squad.

The next morning I got a phone call from Austin Hill who told me he had taken my gun home by mistake and he thought I had his gun. I did and when we met up to trade he told me he figured it out when he had set the trigger on his gun and it went off. Back then a model 12 was a model 12 to me. Austin's gun had a release trigger in it and I had shot a whole round and never knew the difference.

I've always been that true trigger slapper that has never flinched to this day, I'm not sure not noticing that release trigger though says about me.

rem90t and Grocery Guy like this.
  9. Cargodog

Cargodog Active Member

Oh yeah. The Jack West stock/forearm set is very functional for sure. My Remington 1100T came with exceptionally beautiful wood back in the early 70's. Putting the original wood back on the gun and shooting at the club one morning I was convinced some SOB stole my gun. Took about 10 minutes until I realized my mistake. At another club I heard the manager loudly proclaim; "no one leaves thru the gate". A member was convinced his Browning O/U had been stolen. That one took awhile before the gun owner came back inside heavily red in the face holding his Browning. Another SOB had hidden it in his truck.

10. Billy

Billy Mega Poster

Yes at the Mint Gun club left my 101 in the Rack
    and walked to the next one with a MX 8!! Yipe

11. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Good trade. LOL Roger C.

Flyersarebest likes this.
  12. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

I shoot a pigeon 12 with b carved wood. figure the odds of someone putting a pigeon 12 with b carved wood next to mine in the rack while I was picking up hulls. not seeing it there when I went forward to clean up, I just grabbed and went home figuring no one in todays world has a p/b grade 12! WRONG. btw...she made it to her car at the range before she realized she had mine, but i was gone. I got home and panicked when I realized I had a 12 with a black pad, not a factory red one. the next squad brought their guns to the rack in prep for the next squad and sure enough she put it next to mine.....I grabbed it. we found out who we were with clubs help and I drove it to her house and we swapped. we laughed and shook hands. I made a friend that day.
    good thing all the guys knew us. it was 123 and the riddle was solved.

13. Pull

Pull Member Founding Member

Had a fellow grab a wrong model 12 once . He went to shoot and it wouldn't go off . This idiot turned to his left and said his gun wouldn't fire . Yep , it went off right between a guys legs , standing next to him . The wrong gun he picked up . Had a release trigger . The outcome could have been a lot worse .This gentleman has passed away now . And so are most of the guys that were there . Every now and then , it gets brought up around the club .

14. DEDPAIR

DEDPAIR Well-Known Member

I personally never did it, but one year at the grand someone picked mine up. I didn't realise it at first, but quickly noticed another Citori in the rack and a shooter on the squad in front of us shooting mine for his last 25. When he came off the line, I told him what had happened, and while embarrassed he asked if I'd sell him the gun, as he'd broke a 25. I jokingly said I would if I didn't break the last 25, for the 100. I broke the 25(100) and as we were checking the scores, I saw him get up and grab his gun off the rack and walk away. I always wonder what he'd have offered me for it? LOL

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  15. rem90t

rem90t Active Member

One of my friends did many years ago when he younger. Got so much in a zone he grabbed the wrong gun and ran the last 50 for a 100 straight.

16. LCH

LCH Mega Poster Forum Leader

Had a new to me pieces parts MX15/M10RS parts gun. Was my first Perazzi and didn't know about the interchangeability nature of them at the time. So I went out and broke an 18 or some piss poor score. Proceeded to grab "my gun" off the rack and haul it to the tailgate for some adjusting when I noticed a bright orange "R" sticker on the grip.

I was new to Perazzis but I'd been around trap enough to know that this was a release trigger gun and I don't shoot a release.

I quickly hauled it back to the gunrack to the similar looking Perazzi next to it and proceeded to make my adjustments.

And no....the adjustments didn't help a damn thing.

17. Tom in PA

Tom in PA Active Member

The kids and I were shooting at the Westy this weekend and everyone on our doubles squad were shooting 725's. By coincidence, the 3 man squad in front of us were also shooting 725s. That's a total of 8, 725s on the rack. The chance of grabbing the wrong gun was fairly high. That included the one right next to mine that also had a stock lock on it. The owner came close to picking up my gun when he noticed the difference. His stock was much nicer than mine.

18. old682x

old682x Active Member

One night years ago at league the lights went out on trap 4 so we had a short break before we went out and the lights weren't up to full strength yet. I grabbed a 3200 and went out and shot a 23 or 24 which was good for me and thought, boy this is easy tonight, just point and shoot. My friend who also was shooting a 3200 at that time shot about a 19 and he is a much better shooter than I. We had switched guns and his had a monte carlo stock, mine was straight. We had a good laugh about it, but every 3200 I've bought since has had a monte carlo stock. Still can't hit much but I like them anyway.

rem90t likes this.
  19. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

Years ago a friend of mine and another guy were shooting the WI state shoot. They had both gotten new Kolar combos. As we were shooting the handicap, my friends scores kept going down. On the last trap, he had a thirteen. The other guy wasn't doing much better. Turned out the other guy was grabbing the wrong gun, and adjusting the point of impact. Neither one could figure out what the hell was going on. When we came off the trap, someone asked my friend how he did. He said "well I was straight, then I finally hit one."

20. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

It can happen -- team mate bought a brand new K80 -- Another shooter asked if he could give it a try? Walked over and picked up another shooters Tr-Star instead --- From that day on, that's his new nick name

rem90t likes this.
  21. Mallard Cutter

Mallard Cutter Active Member

Had a guy shooting my gun at a sporting tournament the other day. He ran the station and then said “ my gun feels funny “ I then told him that it was actually my gun. We both had a good laugh!!

22. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Watched 2 guys pick up the wrong guns. One was a pull trigger and one was a release trigger. next to each other. first shot from both was something to see. talk about flinches..........

23. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I bring my 1100's to every shoot and secretly trade 'em for K-80's. Nobody has ever complained since they shoot the 1100 so much better. Does anyone believe this will work with Mossberg 500's?

24. MIchael Kalkowski

MIchael Kalkowski Active Member

I have thats how I found out about release triggers

25. Donald piper

Donald piper Member

i went to shoot one night at the club got all my gear together slid gun case out of truck and Wallu no gun I left it home on cleaning stand .

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  26. Trucker52

Trucker52 Member

I haven't but watched a guy pick up mine. Let him walk out to the line before I said something to him.

27. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Saw it happen one time with 2 shooters on the same squad. one a release trigger and one a regular trigger. that first shot was really entertaining. Pull trigger shot the trap house and release trigger was a world class flinch. Neither was within 15 feet of the target.

28. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

One of my shooting partners grabbed my gun, by mistake. Mind you mine is a Bavaria Royal and his is a Standard K-80. Mine is a Double Release and his is a pull trigger. He shot 3 shells and complained to the ref that he had bad shells. As they went off slow. He went to get a box of different shells and we proceeded to shoot without him. When it came to my turn, when I put the gun up I knew right up something was wrong as the gun didn't fit. I looked at the gun and started to laugh. We all had a good laugh at that. Yes both were all silver receiver, but that was the only thing in common. Mine had dark wood, my name plate, and that funny Orange sticker on it.(Release trigger). He gets heckler now when he picks up a gun. It's hell getting old.

29. icyclefar

icyclefar Active Member

I was on the second to last station of a 100 round sporting clay course and on a track to shoot my all time personal best. I had already counted the remaining targets and figured I'd pass 95 or better. I got into the box to shoot 4 report pairs and dropped 6 birds. When I put the gun back in the cart it was only then I realized I grabbed my buddies LEFT HAND K80. We both shoot K80's. Shot the next station clean with my own gun and went home with an 90.

30. Justin L.

Justin L. Active Member

My buddy made a green laminate stock for his DT-10 one time, he said “No one will ever pick my gun up thinking it’s theirs.” I must’ve picked his up 100 times to jack him and said, “Oops, wrong gun.”

Can’t say I ever picked up the wrong gun- I was shooting sporting clays one day when a girl picked up my Browning CX (she had the same gun except hers had 30” barrels and mine had 32s) and was heading to the next station with it. I ran over and exchanged guns before either of us shot, though.

Flyersarebest likes this.