Donations to a Trapshooting Hall of Fame or Museum

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by lbrown, Nov 23, 2017.

1. lbrown

lbrown Active Member

My dad has some items he may want to donate but he wants them to be seen often as possible. What museum(s) should I recommend or not?

He is not a member here but will read what is posted. tia

2. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

It's my opinion that those who wish to gift items or monies to any museum should first decide its importance remaining in the donor's heart.

That is, do you wish to retain some control of your donation or are you perfectly acceptable in allowing the museum to do with it as it wishes.

Museums can be very accommodating or they might only accept straight up donations that converts ownership directly to them. Donors have the absolute right to retain some degree of control over what will be done with their donation and also have the absolute right place their artifact on "loan" whereby they make the determination on the future fate of their item(s).

Below are some methods to consider prior to making any donation.

DONATED ITEMS:

A. Unconditional donation where Museum reserves right to keep, lend or otherwise dispose of the donated material.

B. Conditional donation where Museum must make every attempt to return to owner upon decision on deaccession.

LOANED ITEMS:

A. Loaned to the Museum for a specified period

B. Loaned to the Museum for an unspecified period

C. Loaned under consideration for acquisition

D. Loaned for identification. Museum may or may not provide authentication or valuation and reserves right to photograph.

Remember, once you've signed the paperwork, you have agreed to retain some control of the memorabilia or hand it over completely to the museum. Know what's in your heart before making your final determination on your gift.

Hope this helps,

HB

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    History Seeker and Union Strong like this.
  3. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I would probably contact the people at the Cardinal Center to see if they might be interested in putting the items on display being as they will be seen more there in a day than the HOF in Sparta, Ill in a month ... You can actually contact both of them before you decide and take it from there ... Your father wanting them to see seen as much as possible would lead me to think the HOF at Cardinal would be the better choice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

History Seeker likes this.
  4. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Cardinal Center, by all means is the best location. But you decide. Roger C.

History Seeker likes this.
  5. paBOB

paBOB Well-Known Member

6. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Ilbrown, Check and see if his home state has a HOF. If it does that would be a good place for them. If not PA. or Cardinal would give them a lot of traffic to be seen. Sparta is on thin ice as far as longevity. Roger C.

7. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I have donated several items to the OHIO THOF museum at Cardinal Center, where I have felt they will get the most exposure and enjoyment by both young and old alike.

Contact person is:

Betty Peterson, Museum Director ( A great ambassador also, I might add)

email: rpbjpeterson@gmail.com

Betty will answer any and all questions you may have about the museum at the Cardinal Center, which is a top museum for Trapshooting History Education in my opinion.

Tons of exposure to shooters and non shooters alike.

Brad's Friend in Florida

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
    Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.