choke life expectancy

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by forrestmohrman, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Does anyone have any info on choke life expectancy? My IM choke on my K80 seems to have a slight hole in the center of the pattern.

2. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

That happens with low grade shells.

That choke will be the same for 2 lifetimes or more.

Matters not if it is titanium or steel.

Usually what you have is flyers in the annular ring with soft shot.

We broke a many a target with chilled shot from back at the fence

3. Reyper

Reyper Mega Poster

My guess would be that your choke will outlast you, me and every member here. No scientific data to back up my guess. Good shooting, Rey

4. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I am not a choke tube fan and honestly never gave this a thought, but it is a good and legitimate Question (?) ... I have a Baker Bore Gauge and do not recall getting much of a deviation in any of my barrels after shooting many, many rounds through them ... I have not shot steel shot in any of my guns ... Good Question ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Thanks for the info. This now leads me to the next variable and the is the entire shell…..powder ….wad……shot…..hull type…..and primer. These could all effect the pattern as well.

6. ljutic329

Compare your reloads with factory on the board.

Then go shoot a round.

7. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Have you ever considered that 'shot' probably doesn't travel in an exactly straight line ?????

If ..... each 'hole in the paper', was created by 'shot' going slightly up or down, that "hole" may not be there if the "paper" was ????? closer or farther away .....

Shot out of a shot-shell through ????? choke should produce random results, that should 'change/evolve' every ????? distance .....

The only 'choke' that produces very many lost targets, is the 'choke' that occurs from people over-thinking pointing at a flying clay target .....

Reyper, Tom Machamer and wpt like this.
  8. ljutic329

yea, and a shooter changing them all time.