change poi

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by gwphunt, Mar 8, 2021.

1. gwphunt

gwphunt Active Member

can you change your poi to the right, without an adjustable comb? ( fixed stock )

2. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Bend the barrel ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

gwphunt and Tom Machamer like this.
  3. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Good wood rasp -- Seen it down in the middle of a shoot.

4. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

You can send it in & have the stock bent. Pretty sure any stock maker can do it. Larry Wehinger in Monroe, Wi has done three for me. Nice work & they stayed bent. Don't know if he still does them.

gwphunt likes this.
  5. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

If the barrels are chromed, I was told they can't be bent

6. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

also, if the gun has choke tubes Briley can make eccentric chokes

Just Joe likes this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Instead of bending the stock get a adjustable comb installed.

Just Joe, Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  8. icyclefar

icyclefar Active Member

Facial plastic surgery, why mess with a perfectly good gun.

cl3 likes this.
  9. gwphunt

gwphunt Active Member

thanks everyone for the suggestions

10. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

I agree, adjustable comb is a good idea, providing you can get your face into the gun below the comb, I could not, and even with the adjustable comb, the stock was too thick to get me face into the gun. Bending the stock did what I needed.

11. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Buy a heat lamp and several WOOD CLAMPS, adnd some various thickness of wood, and water put on towels to wrap the stock and clamp it down on work bench, I have done several and it works, last one was my CG. Took a week doing it slowly, It stayed. I posted pictures doing it
    several years ago when I lived in Lancaster, Ohio. Mat'l cost $50.00

GB...................................................DLS

gwphunt likes this.
  12. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Mineral oil.
    I’ll post the article later about how mike orlen did it.

13. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The below paragraph was copied from a long article and is just a small excerpt . You can use the "google machine" to find more info.

Search: "What type of oil to bend stocks"

"Once after reading an article about stock bending, I decided to email its author (Michael McIntosh) and ask him what oil he and gunsmith David Trevallion used. He had referred to the oil as a “secret blend” and of course I wondered what that might be. To level the field, I divulged my “secret blend” (Canola oil). Admitting that cooking oil would no doubt work, he suggested that olive oil might make the gunshop smell a good deal better. One popular choice is mineral oil. It is very stable and has a very high smoke point."

gwphunt likes this.
  14. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

also mineral oil is stable and will not get rancid, we use mineral oil to seal our granite sink

15. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

I used Thos Bland & Son at Woodcock Hill, Bolton, PA to bend a fairly thick stock on a Browning 525 sporting. It was a fitting session using a try stock, range time & involved shortening and bending my stock. It was a day well spent.

16. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

1ST THINGS 1ST, do your beads line up for you, one behind the other with a figure 8?

GB.....................................DLS