Cataract questions

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by MOE, Jan 29, 2023.

1. MOE

MOE Mega Poster Founding Member

Soon going to have cataracts removed and I have many questions I'm hoping shooters who have experienced this can answer for me. Has your eye prescription changed after the surgery? Because of the strength of my prescription ( blind in one eye and can't see out the other) I require a very high p.o.i. (something about how light gets refracted), with the cataracts removed will I no longer need such a high p.o.i.? I'm shooting in a winter league and am unsure if I should shoot the league out before the surgery, even though I can't see them that well, or wait until after the surgery and hope the need for such a high p.o.i. hasn't changed. This would require me to shoot the entire 225 targets left of the league in two Sundays , weather be damned! I Would love to hear from someone with experience in this. Thanks in advance....Moe

2. grizquad

grizquad Well-Known Member Founding Member

Had mine done in September and October last year. I wore bifocals (progressive lens) and had astigmatism in both eyes. I can now drive day and night, watch tv, and some shooting without glasses. I use readers for computer and reading. I had my r eye done first to try shooting a little in between and did ok but wanted a little more "crisp" target. Got inserts for my new shooting glasses and the astigmatism correction and little bit of distance only prescription made targets look great. I am looking forward to spring and having a good year.
    I opted for distance only in both eyes as I didn't like reviews for topic or multi focal lens, plus Medicare did not cover those. I am very glad to have had it done. My eyes were tired and a little sore for a couple of months but they feel great now. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery

MOE likes this.
  3. MOE

So I'm assuming my current prescription glasses will need to be replaced? And thanks for your response.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

My POI is just as high after surgery as before, Plenty of things affect an individuals preferred POI and 100% high at least works for many. Please see an eye doctor that will correct your vision issues with cataract surgery. You only get one chance so if he recommends a more expensive lens implant not covered by your insurance give it some thought. BTW, toric lenses correct astigmatism very nicely and allow you to see more clearly out of your new glasses regardless of eye position.

Wildcat Lewis and MOE like this.
  5. T Jordan

T Jordan Well-Known Member V I P

I had Lasik done to fix the stigmatizem. And had both Cataracts done the same day last Oct. I need glasses to read the newspaper but I am 20 20 again. I have a set of Rangers with clear lenses shot 4 boxes I could see the ridges on the targets. I could also see the floaters I had better too. There was a choice on two long distance lenses. One gives some better arms length vision. It worked great can use the computer or see the milage in the truck etc

MOE likes this.
  6. bpd20

bpd20 Well-Known Member Founding Member

I had mine done in June and July, 1 eye at a time. Cataract removed and implants for distance only correction. Stigmatism (sp) is gone. It is amazing. Things are bright and clear now but I use readers for up close reading (cheapies from the dollar tree). Drive at night now easily and can see the clay targets much better. I am 75 so it isn't like being 25 again exactly but is fantastic what they can do now with our eyes. My doctor did advise I should not shoot a shotgun or rifle for a couple weeks after the surgeries so check with yours before hand. Good luck and as always follow your doctors advise for best results.

7. grizquad

grizquad Well-Known Member Founding Member

Most likely Yes your current prescription will need to be replaced if you have issues other than distance or reading. Dr got my r eye to 20/20 but I had other issues with left eye and astigmatism in both eyes.

MOE likes this.
  8. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I had my cataracts removed in 2004. Left eye and 1 week later the right eye. Implants for distance only and I can still read most of the 20/15 line on the wall chart. I still wear plano lenses to shoot in. As pbd20 stated it is quite amazing how clear and bright everything is after getting the implants. After about 5 or 6 years I needed to get the what they call secondary cataracts zapped off which is a very simple procedure. I'm now 80 and I wish all of my surgeries would have worked out as well.

Dave Berlet

9. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I'm on the same boat with Dave. Of course, I'm not as old as he is, I'm only 70. LOL
    I had mine done about 4 years ago. One eye at a time about a week in between. The doc where I went to get my eyes checked said that if any eye surgeon wanted to do both at the same time I should RUN out of their office. The fear is that if one would get infected, you still have one good one until it heals. If they both got infected after having them both done at the same time you were screwed.

I had a very highly recommended eye surgeon do the procedure. After following all the prescribed drops protocols, I could see like I did 40 years ago. I told the doc if he was a woman, I would have kissed him. It was like HD vision compared to what it had been. The difference was amazing. Went back to my old nonprescription shooting glasses but use cheaters for reading and fixing all the posts on here.

One thing the doc told me was sometimes people have to come back for a little touch up with a YAG laser. Apparently, some cataract removal patients get a little fluid behind the eye. I had a very slight "out of focus" problem with my left after about a year after and went back to get checked. He investigated and said the left needed it and the right would probably need it in another 6 months, so he zapped them both. No problem doing this procedure to both eyes and the entire fix was complete in under a minute. Bingo, back to 20/20. Actually a little better.

Ask questions, even about that laser treatment later, and get more than one opinion. You won't regret getting it done.

Good Luck

Wildcat Lewis and MOE like this.
  10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Remember to use those drops faithfully before and after the surgery. Don't be like a fellow trapshooter who went out and bailed hay the day after surgery and forgot about the drops. He's now a one-eyed shooter and not by choice. An eye infection caused him to lose sight in that eye.

grizquad and MOE like this.
  11. MOE

Thanks for all the responses, hopefully this will help with not being to see targets under low light conditions. I cancelled my trips last year to both the Wisconsin State Shoot and Pennsylvania State Shoot because I didn't want to spend the money to go and end up shooting terrible due to not much light ( overcast, rain, nearing dusk). I really appreciate the responses as it's given me new hope. Thanks to all!

grizquad likes this.
  12. Chris Coomer

Chris Coomer Coondog

I’ve been wanting that lens implant surgery too. I was just wondering if it’s better to do it in the summer or the winter when it’s cooler or when it’s warmer because of like sweat in your eyes and stuff like that I’m a Farrier and Shoe horses and was curious what the ideal healing conditions are

MOE likes this.
  13. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

I'm 78 and had my right eye done 6 years ago. Could not believe the difference. They kept telling me my left eye wasn't ready yet. Went like that for years. Then with a new doc telling me the same thing, I asked what the criteria was. Is it medical or insurance related. He told me both. However, if it is affecting my quality of life, they could do the left eye. I said hell yes, it is affecting my quality of life, DO IT. Wow what a difference. I no longer have trouble driving, and my trap scores have come back to where they were 10 years ago. I'm winning again. Sure, wish I would have pushed for it years ago. I can see targets clear again.

MOE and Flyersarebest like this.
  14. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

I initially had lasix done when I was 60, big mistake--if you're 60 + you're going to need cataracts -well had both my eyes done 10 yrs ago, the surgeon used a laser technique & proprietary lenses , had to reach into my pockets for what medicare wouldn't cover--best thing I've done.

MOE and Flyersarebest like this.