Caesar Guerini Cocking Problem

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Rick in Ohio, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Well-Known Member Founding Member

Ok guys I need a little help !
    I have a Caesar Guerini Summit that is giving fits. When I break the gun open to put a shell in after shooting the gun some times it don't want to cock right and the trigger clicks but it don't hit the hammer.... the trigger just stops work, open the gun and close it and it will fire. So is there a adjustment that I can do to the cocking rod to get me by for the next 8 weeks or till the trap season over with?

After the season over with I could send it in for a pit stop.

2. mkstephen

mkstephen Member Founding Member

There is a certain amount of over travel built into the gun when opening to prevent this from happening. Make sure you are opening the gun all the way after firing the shell.

mkstephen

dr.longshot likes this.
  3. Rick in Ohio

I know what your talking about but I never had to pull it open that far to cock it before, this problem just started.
    Could I have a little bit of crap in the trigger that I not seeing to clean out that making it not cock right or maybe a spring that's not working like it before?

I took the stock off about a week ago and tried to spray the trigger out and I also used a air hose on it....... there was a lot of crap inside the trigger that I cleaned out.

4. rick s

rick s Member Founding Member

guerini will be at the cardinal next week . get there early and they might do a pitstop for you there

5. Rick in Ohio

I may have to stop in next week and ask about this problem ............ I live about 20 miles west of the Cardinal.

It could be that I need a new cocking rod. I really have to pull it open to cock it and still some times it don't cock right.

6. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Before you swap metal, you might give all traveling pieces a bath in some of this.

[​IMG]

7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

CG Gunsmiths may be at the Buckeye Classic so they can look at it

8. Rick in Ohio

Smoking 357 .... I am going to take the stock off again and try cleaning it up again, maybe I miss a area that needs a little more cleaning.

Its funny every thing was working fine on this gun and then one day all of this started after shooting in the rain one night.

Dr, Longshot ......... you let me down............ I was sure that you could tell me whats going on with my CG.

Like I told Smoking 537 I going to take it a part again and try cleaning it up and see if it starts working again and if not it looks like I may have to take it over to the Cardinal next week and see what they tell me. I may have to pull the old browning out of the gun safe.

9. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

There are free floating hammer pins the shouldn't have oil on them They need to be dry to rotate as the gun is used.

10. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

On a O/U, the ejectors are always something you have to watch. Make sure you get in there real good.

There should be a way to cock it with the barrels off. See if that's unusually gunky or stiff. Of course, if you never cocked it with the barrels off before, you might not know how it should be.

If'n it were my gun, I'd pull the forearm, the stock and the trigger group and field strip the entire thing and dunk all the metal in a carbon killer bath or a Ed's Red bath for a day.

Just guessing, I'd say you got build-up on a part, limiting motion and closing tolerances, causing stiffness. I tend to think that if you just outright broke something, it wouldn't cock, at all, wouldn't fire, wouldn't stay closed, or something more profound. Anyway, a good teardown is free except for parts cleaner. If you tear it down, you can compare your pieces parts to the manual to see if anything is amiss and go to the CG tent a lot smarter with a squeaky clean gun for them to examine.

11. Rick in Ohio

Guys when you look at the front of the reserve you can see in the center a big cocking rod what are to two pins on the sides of the reserve do that looks to push in to the forarm also? They are hard to move, its like they may have a little problem moving or may have some crap around them or rust. The two pins looks to me like they work with the center cocking rod.

12. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

Clean the cocking rods, but do not put grease on them, Use Rem Oil, look at the stock inside when you take it off for any rubbing, and if there is some rubbing sand it a little

Rick I just got my new Fabarm Axis Un-single today, been setting it up for me. Need to cut the stock off at least 3/4"inch

GB DLS

13. Leonidas

Leonidas Mega Poster Founding Member

Arn't the two little rods to set each hammer?

Check the little pins in the forearm iron. There is a setscrew behind them that fits in a flat on the pin. If the setscrew comes loose it allows the pin to fall. Reset the screws by tighting against the pin flat and then loosen enough to allow the pin free movement up and down.

14. Rick in Ohio

I took it a part last night again and it seems to be cocking ok but I thinking now it could be a little trigger spring that may need to be replaced, so it could be time to have CG go over it and change out all the spring's. Now I need to find time to get it over to the Cardinal next week and have it look at.

So Doc how do you like your new Un-single?

15. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Rick, I'll be over there all week. If you need me to take it over to the CG and have them check it out, I'll be glad. Hey, I'm retired...all I have to do is watch the grass grow.

Rick from WV then MD, back to WV and now to Ohio.

16. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

While your there check out some of the Perazzi's, you might be pleasantly surprised ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

dr.longshot likes this.
  17. dr.longshot

The gun is fine, shoots where I want it to, LOP is 15"inches long, Just took stock off to cut it down 3/8ths"inch, am removing the 1/8th "inch spacer, will replace the 1"inch recoil pad with one 1/2"inch thick, that gets me in the ball park.

It is hell learning to shoot a pull trigger, but not doing too bad. While the stock was off I lubricated the triggers with STOS and some Break Free oil.

Hope to see you at the Buckeye Classic

GB DLS

18. dr.longshot

Rick put some Break Free oil on the cocking rods and work the cocking rods back and forth until they are moving freely, if the don't move freely after a number of working them back and forth, they might be bent.

Rick in the rear of the receiver there is a tree, operated by recoil, is it free moving back and forth, cocking rods may not be free and holding back the movement of the hammers, hammer is not falling

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

19. Rick in Ohio

Well I think I have the CG back up and working. About two weeks ago I took the trigger a part and cleaned it but its looks like I forgot to clean around the cocking rod area. I used a hole can of break cleaner plus used a air hose to blow all the junk out of that area. put the gun back together and took it to the range today and put a 100rds down it with no problems. This coming Tuesday I will be shooting on are league night hopping all my problems have gone away, if not I will be heading over to the Cardinal Center Wednesday to have CG take a look at it. Still planning to send it to the CG custom shop this winter for a go going over.

20. mkstephen

You need to bring your gun over to the Cardinal Classic. Caleb is the technician for Cesar Guerini and will fix you up with a pit stop. Takes about 1 1/2 hours and he will go all through it. In my opinion Caleb's the best. Be sure and bring the complete gun if it is a combo.

mkstephen

21. Rick in Ohio

I am thinking about going tomorrow thanks !

Can you tell me about where I can find them over there?

22. mkstephen

I believe they are in the first building the one with the scoreboard.

They have there own permanent store there.

23. Rick in Ohio

24. Rick in Ohio

mkstephen

I drop off my gun yesterday about 9:00am had a talk with Caleb the technician and told him what was going on. He look at the gun and said the trigger was out of time with the cocking. ........ he will fix me up with a pit stop and go over the whole gun. He ask if I was shooting and I told him I would like to but if he needed my gun longer that I was ok with it. I didn't shoot but I did tag along with a friend that was having a hard time walking and help him out all day. Pick my gun up just a little before 4:00pm and Caleb had me fix right up, he went over with me what all he had to do to the gun. I got home and check the trigger out and all I can say is wow what a sweet trigger, Its better now than what it was before I had he work on it.

I wanted to try the gun out Saturday and Sunday at the Cardinal but the wife made plans for us to have are grand kids over for the weekend... can't pass that up.

25. mkstephen

Caleb does good work. Glad to see you went to the source to get it corrected.

26. Rick in Ohio

I wanted to go back today to shoot but last night I went down in my reloading room and walk right in to a target box full of hulls and broke my little toe............. I should have turned the lights on plus my wife wanted me to go show one of are rentals today. Sunday we are taking the grand kids to the wilds..........so Sunday not going to work, looks like I will have to want till Tuesday night to give it a try.

I put a spent hull in the gun and pulled the trigger 3 or 4 time and so far I think Caleb did a sweet job on the trigger for me........ can't wait to try it Tuesday night.

27. smoking357

smoking357 Mega Poster

Get ready for your Christmas present, this year.

[​IMG]

rookieshooter likes this.
  28. Rick in Ohio

Smoking357

The fun thing was my wife told me I should have had my shoes on......... but I had in inform her that she made the rule up that as soon as you come inside the shoes come off or stay off the carpet. I have to walk down the carpet steps to get to my reloading room or as I call it the man's room, but then again I should have turned the lights on so I could have seen what I was about ready to walk in to. I think I am going to set a pair of shoes by the door down there so I can slip them on so I don;t do this again........ that little toe really hurts !