Browning Broadway Salt Issues

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Kailsdad, May 24, 2024.

1. Kailsdad

Kailsdad Kalisdad

I have a nice Browning Broadway that has a Salt wood Stock. I have had the receiver cleaned and reblued but I can see that I need to do something with the wood or it will rust up again. Does anyone have a replacement stock, useable condition, not fussy or can the original stock be sealed so the Salt wood no longer attacks the receiver parts. Grease on the parts only delays the rusting a little. Any advice would be deeply appreciated... Don

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

You placed your question in the reloading section.

3. Skeet_Man

Skeet_Man Mega Poster

The wood cannot be saved and should be burned to prevent it from ending up back in the wild. Wenig is probably your best bet for replacement wood at this point. Any used wood should be treated as suspect as you may be replacing salt wood with more salt wood if you're not careful.

4. DXNM

DXNM Member

There are some steps you can take to try and mitigate the damage caused by the salt in the wood:
    Sealing the stock: You could try sealing the inside of the stock with a product like Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, using a small natural bristle brush to apply it. This may help create a barrier between the salt wood and the metal parts.
    Rust bluing: Another option is to rust blue the metal parts that come in contact with the stock. This process can provide some protection against corrosion.
    Glass bedding: You could also consider having the stock glass bedded, which creates a layer of epoxy between the wood and metal parts.

5. DXNM

DXNM Member

However, note that these methods may not be foolproof.