BIG PAPA - What's happening in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by LimaShooter50, Jul 2, 2021.

1. LimaShooter50

LimaShooter50 Mega Poster Founding Member

Are the numbers right? 126 entries in the biggest event so far? How many banks are they using? I might be there Saturday.

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

It looks like they went to Kentucky

Ron Burdick

3. patch 2

patch 2 Active Member

Lot of Ohio shooters at Ky State Shoot. Joe Charnigo smashed a 100 in last handicap today. I saw Pat and Elaina McCarthy there also.
    Congratulation to Joe on that great score !!

4. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Forum Reporter Founding Member Forum Reporter

Today (Friday) attendance Singles 182, caps 166, dbls 123. Today in KY they had 342 shooters. Weather has been nice the last couple of days. Guys are doing a good job setting the targets. They are throwing those horrible all orange targets. Most shooters are very unhappy with the all orange targets. Only a couple of vendors. No food until yesterday when a food trailer showed up. AJ has been able to supply everyone with shells. Not sure what information you are looking for but here are a few tidbits. I am shooting the singles tomorrow and heading home.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  5. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

BIG PAPA any news from the Michigan meeting since (about why) the President quit. Kenny had been down that board route before so I'm sure he thought he knew what he was getting into. It must have been something big to make him quit.

6. BIG PAPA

Brad just various rumors floating around. Therefore, I will not post anything unless I know it to be a fact. Turbine likes to post "facts" so maybe he will share some of them with us. BTW, there was a Ken Sims from Michigan who has been shooting at the KY state shoot this week. Surely the Ken Sims that is the president of the MTA was not in KY, although I did not see the Ken Sims that I have shot with many times in Mason this week. So, maybe it was him.
    I was told they are getting rid of those horrible all orange targets that nobody likes.

History Seeker likes this.
  7. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

why aren't all orange liked?

8. BIG PAPA

They streak and have no contrast. They also are very hard to see when they get above the tree line. They have two layers of paint on them and are harder to break as a result. I real good judge are the scorekeepers. You will notice more "wrong (lost)" calls because they cannot see the pieces or loose the target pieces in the blue sky. Of course that is my opinion (and experience) and I am sure there are shooters who will disagree with me.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  9. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

Under certain conditions they were great...IMO.

SanRemo32 likes this.
  10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I wouldn't know. I just came back from a local gun club that threw all orange targets. 50 straight puffballs and off to the bar for a cold one. Actually, there's nothing good with a black rimmed target that never leaves the treetops. I've never been noted for shooting a target after it hits the sky-that's only for old people!

SanRemo32 likes this.
  11. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

New York style would be fine, IIRC Mason threw those years ago.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

I just returned from a local ATA shoot that threw black rimmed targets. Skies were overcast with plenty of trees in the background. Yup, they sucked and I didn't hear anyone say anything good about seeing 'em.

alf174 likes this.
  13. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

I just got done with the WI state shoot and they throw black rimmed. It was really tough if a cloud moved in or they didn't reach the sky. New York style is on the right. [​IMG]

History Seeker likes this.
  14. BIG PAPA

New York all the way. It works under all conditions.

alf174 likes this.