ATA submits bogus numbers to Trap and Field and you? AGAIN! (Archive)

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by merlo, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Penguin

Penguin Member

lord maker ,

The ATA did a great job at hiding the revised numbers. They hid it in a group of other errors that were not notable. In other words they hid the announcement in a pile of clutter.

revise.jpg

You notice it does not mention "we doubled the numbers for the last 3 years." Ooops sorry.

The way they did it you might never know they made the mistake. Sleazy at minimum and slightly clever. Funny in a way.

Family Guy likes this.
  2. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Bat, my pal, wherever you are.

Real classy those pals you defend. When you report back let them know I said "nice hide" on that retraction, if that is what you call it.

Family Guy likes this.
  3. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Here try this. Create an excel or google sheet. in A1 - A3 type in 100. in A5 type "=sum(a1-a4). in this case it will give you a total of 300. then in a-4 type "=sum(a1-a3) and do not change A5. Your total will now be 600. Its just an error. Its a shame it was published, but still just an error.

4. paBOB

paBOB Well-Known Member

Backing off your statement now that it was an excel error? Great idea. A lot of the readers here know the program does what the programmer tells it to do. Nothing more.....nothing less. The excel program made no error. It did the operation as directed.

Someone puts sub total in the column so excel can total it. The excel program did not jump out of the computer and hop in front of the screen and start typing new numbers. (for the last 3 years)
    Blaming that hidden retraction on excel too. Or the statement to WSIL TV about the 15,000 shooters at the campsite and another 15,000 in local motels. Darn that excel.

Kool aid by any other flavor wouldn't be as sweet.

History Seeker, wpt and STaT mAn STaN like this.
  5. pittmatt

pittmatt Member

Bob,
    Could it be lord maker is trolling? You gots to relax. Big shoot this week.

wpt and STaT mAn STaN like this.
  6. lord maker

not trolling. just trying to explain to people here its not malicious like they want it to be. Its just a snafu. no more, no less.

Its painfully clear paBOB does not want to listen or does not understand how these programs work. The program does what the user tells it. No more, no less. I would guess psBOB is retired from some fast food or assembly line job.

7. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Lord Maker,

Like Bob said....programs do what programs are told to do. If you put in more numbers in the column the total at the bottom will be larger. That is the reason you add the column. Lord maker you under estimate the intelligence of the forum. The ATA might have done that as well.

His statement that that program does what it is told to do is 100 % accurate. Anyone that says otherwise is a troll or understands little about spreadsheet programs or any other programs.

You trying to explain there was no malicious intent goes to your ability to be a mind reader I would guess.

Interesting the pattern that exists. Creeps do creepy things. Like hiding the retraction the way they did. After all they could have made a statement like:

Attention shooters. Yes we more than doubled the number of entries in our report. (for the last 3 years) Sorry about that. We will send a note to all the local politicians and taxpayers to remove any doubt about our honesty.

followed by

We also regret telling the local media we had 15,000 shooters staying at the campsite for the preliminary events. To WSIL and local taxpayers we apologize. We did not mean to mislead anyone.

It was an excel error.

wpt and STaT mAn STaN like this.
  8. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

With absolute certainty, I can say the poster "lord maker" was not around when the first lies about the ATA moving to Sparta were told. A novice trapshooter at best, shooting for a short time, that knows enough about spread sheets to fool only himself.

Family Guy and wpt like this.
  9. Perazzi40

Perazzi40 Member

Exactly! Excel does not make errors. It only adds, subtracts, multiplies, and divides, the numbers you give it. It does not suddenly decide to go rogue. LOL ;)

Family Guy and wpt like this.
  10. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

"Its[sic] just an excel error" ..... I like that .....

Heck, the next time I miss a target I'm going to declare a "Remington error", or "Perazzi error", or whatever I am shooting the round with.

I can see a rule-book addition for a couple of more "Mulligans" per round by declaring a "Perazzi error", or what ever flavor shotgun you use.

History Seeker, wpt and Family Guy like this.
  11. lord maker

If we are going to personal attacks, lets look at the capitalization of your name. By that we can assume you have had several strokes and its amazing you can access the internetz. Also, we can infer you have an AOL account still active, have never sent a text, and think computers are a fad.

You are correct though, I have only been shooting ATA since 2012, and to be blunt, I dont care about the past of it. You are way off on the spreadsheet issue however.

12. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

Lord maker......you attacked PA Bob. You attacked his education. You did so because he pointed out you are wrong. And as to attacking my spelling and grammar you may want to remember there is no such thing as "internetz." There is no "z" there.

I rarely send texts and one of my first computer classes was fortran IV. Computers do what they are programmed to do 100% of the time. You don't need a math or computer degree to know that. Excel is a simple add and subtract program. It works as programmed. I am nearly 100% sure it did what the ATA told it to do. So are you!

Your lack of knowledge about the ATA and past lies came out early. It was easy to attach a high expected value. Read up. Check past posts. You have much to learn.

wpt likes this.
  13. Kiehl

Kiehl Well-Known Member

WTH In a 3 year stretch they were only off by about 90,000 entries.

wpt likes this.
  14. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

2016 data,

There were more shooters at Sparta from Australia, than from 31 states and provinces. We need some new blood in the BOD and EC . The leaders we now have do not seem to have the will or the ability to grow our sport. Time for a major change, before it is to late. Shut of the cookie jar from them and the will jump ship.

Apparently trap shooters in North America are fed up with the antics of the ATA. We need new leaders with a little ambition and vision. I do not mean a vision of shooting expenses and $20,000.00 guns. Perks are to be for a job well done, not because our leaders feel they are deserved. Roger C.

oleolliedawg and Michael McGee like this.
  15. Gordon Horigan

Gordon Horigan Active Member

SORRY I ASKED WHY I Didn't GET Trap and Field .

16. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

Bump for Todd

17. Got Beagles

Got Beagles Active Member

My favorite thread. Bumping for Kool aide drinkers. Never trust. Do your own research.

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member V I P

Just for the record, everything Bat said here six years ago was 100% spot-on correct when it comes to explaining how an Excel spreadsheet CAN work. Give me a half hour and I can create an Excel spreadsheet to say anything you want it to say. As for totals or subtotals not being generated from the spreadsheet is bogus, IF you know how to code and program. It’s about the formulas Harry. Off centered? Piece of cake. Larger font? Nothing to it. Bold fonts? Ditto. Do you begin to get the idea there Harry?

Jon Reitz

19. inteldell

inteldell Active Member

BS Jon.....or maybe I dont understand you.
    The word CAN is important there. When this came out I was consulted. That underline is part of the document that was given to the publisher. Note: that underline is done by hand. You can note one end of the line is thinner. More pressure on a ball point pen.

Blaming the numbers on a faulty spread sheet is BS.

I can create something that looks like a spreadsheet. At the bottom of the column I can put any number I want. Most wouldnt add the column to see if the numbers work out. Someone at this forum did just that.

Tell me when you find a spread sheet program that underlines the crazy total with a ball point pen.

There was also the statement from the ATA that there were 15,000 participants in the motels and another 15,000 at the campground. Crazy numbers that year right?

At least the ATA was forced to do a retraction. Oversight is important isnt it?

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  20. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

21. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Maybe Musk did read this forum and decide he wanted to expose corruption. Did he get the recipe from Americantrapshooter.com?

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  22. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member V I P

Intel,
    I’m not referring to something that is obviously written with a ball point pen. I’m referring to what can be done in the cells of a spreadsheet with formulas. That’s all.

Jon Reitz