anyone here from n. ohio? i have a mystery range needing i.d.

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by bobski, Mar 25, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

back in 1993, I shot here and then it snowed. it was between or around camp perry area and sandusky. all I remember is it was along a river just off a back road. it had two traps. club was to the right in this pic and it shared space with a r&p range to its left. I was a guest of a fellow living up there so he just brought me out cold turkey as a guest in his car, so I never paid attention to directions.
    anyone know where this is? anyone know the name?
    ohio trap range.JPG

2. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

The Elmore Conservation Club sits beside the Portage River in that general area but west of Camp Perry. The town of Sandusky is east of Camp Perry. We had LOTS of two trap clubs scattered around the area back then. Sorry, I don’t recognize the club from the picture. How close to Camp Perry do you think the club was?

3. bobski

It was within a 30 mins from Sandusky and closer to camp perry. we shot pistol at perry then shot trap.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  4. bobski

well don, I think you hit pay dirt.
    I just googled Elmore Conservation Club and found this pic on its website. sure looks like its the place to me!
    job well done! you solved a 30 year old mystery for me.
    regards...
    untitled.png

5. Don Cogan

Glad I could help. We still have quite a few of the old two trap clubs in the area that are still in operation. Most clubs never threw registered birds and many are members only. I’ve been fortunate to have shot at most of the area clubs over the years but some only once or twice.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  6. bobski

do you see many 1 trap places up in your area? they flourish back here in ct. along with the traditional 4 field clubs for back when you had to rotate thru all 4.

7. Don Cogan

Not many one trap clubs in our area. I’m sure there are some but I can’t think of any at the moment.

8. Shamus

Shamus Active Member

Looking at that picture the snowflake shooters couldn't shoot there. No shot curtain.

9. bobski

funny....ive shot just about every range in ct, and not one shot curtain is present. ct is a left wing breeding ground too.
    yet, go across to n.y, and there they are!

10. bobski

called elmore and they said they abandoned the 1st trap field closest to the r&p range and made the bunker into some kind of leo training course. old trap 2 is still in operation and the only one. guess that happens when the bod consists of more r&p shooters than trap. btw...the entire club grounds floods when the portage river breaks its banks and shooting depends on flood reports on its website. hmmmm? underwater trap may be a new game! lol.

11. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Compared to some of the places you and I shot here in SWPA that field looks great. The have a flat field and there is even concrete.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023