AA Hulls..........

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Steve Randall, May 21, 2023.

1. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

Well, about 25 years ago, some guy comes up to me at work and tells me that he hears I shoot trap. "Well, I just started and it's a lot of fun." I said. He asked me if I reloaded and I told him I was just getting started reloading, too. He tells me that his dad used to shoot trap, but he quit, and that there's a bunch of hulls out in his garage that he wants to get rid of and he asked me if I wanted them. I said, sure!! Even though I didn't know what the heck they were. So the next day after work I go out to my truck to go home and there's a garbage bag sitting next to my truck. When I opened the bag and looked inside, it was full of AA hulls. So, I took them home and tossed them up on the shelf in the garage, where they have been all this time. I decided to dig them down today and sure enough, there was still that garbage bag full of AA hulls. This box is about three feet tall. View attachment 73752 View attachment 73752 20230521_120105.jpg

2. Steve Randall

Steve Randall Member

Screenshot_20230521-131642_Gallery.jpg 2nd picture. These should keep me busy. :)

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Active Member

Most likely they are Compression Formed Hulls , not 2 piece hulls !
    By following the Hodgdon Reloading Data on the web , you should be able to load what you like ?

4. Ray Bly

Ray Bly Member

sell me half I need some, just got back into reloading.

5. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

This post was from May. If you need some hulls the best thing to do is put a Want to Buy (WTB) post on the For Sale-Wanted to Buy page.

Flyersarebest

6. how is the shell lenght? when reloaded will the fold in the top be perfectly closed or have an open center where you can see the shot inside. II have some AA grey once fired and the hole in the crimped shell is so wide i had to use wax to close it up so shot didnt work out. Is the red AA shells longer then the AA grey shells?

7. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

You probably won’t get a reply on this thread. The best thing to do is ask on the Reloading page.

8. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

The hulls are the same length. You are either using the wrong wad, or your crimp is set too high

9. my remington sts and nitros all crimp close and nice, but AA has 1/8" hole in middle letting the shot fall out

10. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

Terrence What wad are you using, and what loader do you have. Also are you loading them with the same amount of powder and shot. If you are using new AA it can make a difference in the crimp.

11. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Terrence set your precrimp a little deeper and hole will disappear. Good luck